Black Diamond Racing products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I did a search in an attempt to not start a new thread on these pieces to no avail.

I've been on a tweak journey for the past couple months. First was a PC upgrade to all components. Second was vibration control, which I'm just about wrapping up. Next will be be a pair of subs, but with the improvement I've gained by the first two, the third may unnecessary!

I've installed eight BDR Mk3 pits under my Spire's with the factory spikes. The Mk3 is supposed to be the warmer, and the Mk4 more detailed. I'm glad I went with them. I have seen these things in Gordon Gray's signature for the longest time and he has recommended them to me on several occasions.

I was able to finally locate a company that had the eight I needed. While a somewhat pricey tweak at $54 each, they were nowhere near the price I paid for 16 Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (SR) with tungsten balls. The pits came in a simple cardboard box while the SR came in fancy wooden "presentation cases". When I opened them, I thought there must be some kind of mistake. I could not comprehend how something so hard could help with vibration control. I installed the ML spikes and carefully turned the speaker upright without gouging the heck out of my hardwood floor. I was not entirely successful :mad: Once I put the speakers on the pits and adjusted the location, I sat back for a listen.

First thing I noticed was the 35Hz adjustment was now out to lunch. I was able to dial it back nearly 3db to 1.75. I'm still playing with this since it has only been 2 days with the pits. The clarity and definition in the mids and highs has been nothing less than breathtaking! The bottom is more refined and taut. I have several CD's I know fairly well and while sounding VERY cliche, I heard several small things in the recordings I had never noticed before. I've also had to raise the preamp volume 4 notches in order to obtain the same impact I had prior to the pits.

While listening to Patricia Barber, Modern Cool, I noticed an unusual rattle. I discovered that one of the pits was vibrating on the floor. A slight adjustment to the spike eliminated it.

I tried some silver wires several months back and could not get used to them. The definition and clarity that silver brought was fatiguing to my ear. With the SR and BDR installed, I have that magic of silver but without the drawbacks that made me return to copper.

I'm not certain if the BDR would provide the same impact alone. But, when added to the SR, the combination is top notch!

Thank you Gordon Gray for pointing me in this direction!!

Gordon

No problem G.

Glad you like them.

Another example of what minimizing vibration will do for a good system.

GG

Good write up Gordon, I enjoyed reading it. I love tweaks also as long as they work. And it seems these worked very well for you. Great find!

Glen

Latest posts

Back