Bi amping opportunity ASCENTS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleehrat

Reaction score
I am awaiting the arrival a new amp I have purchased a Vintage Rotel RHB-10 (300 watts). I currently have a Rotel RHB-05 (180 Watts) driving my Ascents. I really love this little amp so I decided to purchase the larger piece for the "current". If I decide to bi-amp...which amp should power the panels? I am thinking the larger. They have identical input impedence. I probably will sell the smaller piece but some experimentation is at hand. Thanks. Tim

Why not try both configurations to see which one serves you better? As you put it: "some experimentation is at hand".

Why not try both configurations to see which one serves you better? As you put it: "some experimentation is at hand".

Agreed. Depending on your room acoustics and types of music you play, either scenario could sound better than the other. But I am guessing you are right that the larger amp will be better used on the panels.

Hola. And their sensitivity, are both amps with the same? There are many brands that have, with different models, different sensitivities. Also I will trust my ears and I will choose the one that I liked most, driving the panels. Not necessary the most power amp will have better sound. Happy listening!

Hola. And their sensitivity, are both amps with the same? There are many brands that have, with different models, different sensitivities. Also I will trust my ears and I will choose the one that I liked most, driving the panels. Not necessary the most power amp will have better sound. Happy listening!

Good point Roberto... if by sensitivity you essentially mean gain, then assuming the amps are driven from the same pre-amp outputs, there could be some level mismatch between woofer and panel. There's a good chance they both have the same gain given their kindred relationship, but worth checking into (a brief websearch did not yield gain numbers for either model).

Be careful, I don't think the Ascents are bi-AMPable. They are bi-WIREable. There is a difference between the two. You may want to consult the manual that came with the speakers. Perhaps I am wrong but better to be safe than sorry.

UPDATE: Sorry, it looks like it does support "passive bi-amplification."

Last edited:
Yes, oops. Bass and panel crossover sections are separated, so no fear of biamping.

Back