Best external hard drive

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hey guys. What is the best external HD for lots of storage? Just looking for a USB external. Are the larger ones reliable? Does the additional speed really make a diff? I'm not a hardware guy. Is USB 3.0 compatible w 2.0? Thanks Tim

Tim,

Yes, USB 3 ports can read/write USB 2 disks at USB 2 speeds.

Large drives are reliable. Just pick the right model.

Regarding speed, I use SSDs where speed is needed. The speed difference between a 5400 RPM magnetic/conventional hard drive and a 7200 RPM drive is negligible compared to how even a slow SSD will perform. The 7200 is likely louder and hotter, and costs more than the 5400. For magnetic hard drives, I’d stick with a decent 5400 drive. Many good options exist. Samsung/Seagate STxx00 series for the 2.5" format, Western Digital Red EFRX for 3.5".

What is “large” to you, btw? 2TB? 6TB or more?

On a general note, I prefer buying enclosure and disk separately. This is not the cheapest option, but you can pick the best performing parts, and you will have a repair and upgrade path as well. Assembly is easy. I can recommend specific parts if you are interested.

Hi ralflar. Appreciate it. I ended up getting some 5tb Seagate drives. I have yet to receive them via Amazon. I believe they are the 3.5 / 5400 drives. Gonna make me a music server. :). Thanks.

Back