Austin Members

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBobGoat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think there are 3 or 4 of you down there at least. I am up in OK and planning an invasion to TX this weekend. My buddy and I are going to Austin and check out the town.

Anything notable we should check out? Reccomendations on places to go out? I have heard 6th street is a safe bet.

Also, if you want to show off your system :D

I do not live in Austin, but I go there frequently on work related business. 6th is always great-lots of live music of about any genre. For steaks try Dan McKlusky's on 6th. For great tex-mex try Trudy's off Burnet. I am a transplanted Okie myself.

sorry for seeing this late... :mad:

6th street is a good place to start... we had good weather so there should have been a ton of stuff going on downtown. How did it go?

Scott,

Are you guys in Northern Austin, near the Lake Travis area? I'm looking for homes and trying to figure out where the best places to live would be.

Scott,

Are you guys in Northern Austin, near the Lake Travis area? I'm looking for homes and trying to figure out where the best places to live would be.

Tons of choices out there and they range from $200k ish (for a really nice place just outside of town, or a little tiny place in town) up to the $MM's for really nice homes with views, big Sq. Ft., or super views... We have it all here... Personally I am north in Cedar Park...

We stayed just south of the City at my friends place, but went out all day and all night around the school, 6th, and warehouse district. The weather was great, especially for the marathon. Seems like a nice town to live near. Not too huge yet, but it looks like the sprawl is pretty bad already.
Traffic was really bad on 35W into the city.

Attachments

• IMG_1090net.JPG
    IMG_1090net.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 66
James, I've been thinking of the RR area. Hope to get there in April for a look around. Property taxes are crazy though... and yeah I know the argument of no income tax, but still, it's a good chunk of change every year.

+1 on the taxes... and I don't by the income tax thing... I lived in WA before this... no income tax and the property tax was 1/3 what I'm paying now on similar value homes... of course the government is going to get their money... they just used other means in WA :devil:

when we moved here... we went w/ a realtor on Friday... drove around ourselves on Saturday and then back w/ a realtor on Sunday...

Yes, we bought the lot we found on Sat and the realtor got a ton of commish... oh well :)... I'm sure between the 4-5 of us in Austin, we'd be happy to discuss/ show you around the city... it's very nice... just need to set priorities on what you are looking for.

We stayed just south of the City at my friends place, but went out all day and all night around the school, 6th, and warehouse district. The weather was great, especially for the marathon. Seems like a nice town to live near. Not too huge yet, but it looks like the sprawl is pretty bad already.
Traffic was really bad on 35W into the city.

Sounds like a GREAT weekend... I had some friends run the 1/2 marathon (wish I was in shape enough for it... I'm spent after 4 and that's at a sloooooow pace as well :mad:

Did you check out any local bands?... want more details :cool:

+1 on the taxes... and I don't by the income tax thing... I lived in WA before this... no income tax and the property tax was 1/3 what I'm paying now on similar value homes... of course the government is going to get their money... they just used other means in WA :devil:

when we moved here... we went w/ a realtor on Friday... drove around ourselves on Saturday and then back w/ a realtor on Sunday...

Yes, we bought the lot we found on Sat and the realtor got a ton of commish... oh well :)... I'm sure between the 4-5 of us in Austin, we'd be happy to discuss/ show you around the city... it's very nice... just need to set priorities on what you are looking for.

+2! My property taxes are $1000/month! I think we are being assessed at a valuation of $530,000 or something like that. We have folks in the 'hood around me that are up over $2500/MONTH for taxes ALONE! If they GAVE me their house I could not afford it!

As Scott said, they will get your money one way or another. State income tax, property tax, personal property tax, gift tax, registration and fees, they will get it from you one way or another!

That is why I am a Libertarian...keep the gov. out of my pocket and my bedroom and make the gov. smaller TOO! Personal responsibility folks. I think everyone on this list understands that last part for sure, or you would not be here in the first place... Not likely you are going to be on the gov. doll sucking up my tax dollars and buying ML speakers with it! :Rant over:

Sorry guys, I got off topic there. School taxes are the big part of taxes in TX too. The city and county taxes combined for me are about HALF what my school taxes are! SUCK! :eek:

Well damn, I missed this one. Next time your headed this way let me know and we will spin a few discs! Hope you had a good time.

John

Last edited:
Back