Arius Getting old?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyril0

Reaction score
Hi, new memeber here

I have a pair of arius (not i) that I got second hand 12 years agoi. About 3 months ago the highs really started to dissapear and the sound has become muffled. The panles still work, ie they are plugged in but they just don't sound as good as they used to.

I was talking with the guy at the store where I bought them and he said the panels eventually burn out after 12 or so years and this is normal. I was hoping to get some insight from other users on this. The store guy also said that new panels could be installed, for a $1000. For a few hundred more they can modify the speaker and basically make them into Arius I's

Apparently the arius I models will last longer because they actively cut the power to the speakers when they sense the amp has been turned off. Basically I am wondering what I should do. Should I fix them of get a new pair of speakers.

Please advise.

Thanks

The newer Martin Logans have a somewhat different sound which some people prefer and others don't. If it was me personally, I would probably get a new pair of speakers (depending on your budget). I don't know about upgrading the Aerius to be Aerius i's, but if you love your speakers and/or don't want to get a new pair, replacing the panels should definitely improve the sound. If they are 12 years old and have never had the panel replaced, that's a pretty long time, and the sound could potentially have a huge improvement.

It's a tough call, but in my opinion I think I would move on to a newer set of Martin Logans.If you look on this site www.canuckaudiomart.com , type Martin Logan in the search box and many come up.

There is a set of Aerius i's for asking $1000, a set of Vantages in Quebec, Summits , a set of Odyssey's at an excellent price, etc. On the other side of the coin, you would have peice of mind knowing you have virtually new speakers buying the new panels.Basically you would be putting a $1000 into a speakers which would have a resale vlalue of $1000.If you plan on keeping them for a long time, this wouldn't matter.

The Aerius i's are a nice sounding speaker. I used to own them myself. I was very happy however when I moved up to the Odyssey's.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm leaning towards getting them fixed. If I buy another pair second hand, i'm essentially shortening the max life I can get out of those, where as with new panels I can expect the longest use.

It might seem crazy to spend 1000$ fixing speakers that are only worth 1000$, but on the other hand what else can I do with them. Is there a trade in service?

So now it comes down to finding the best/cheapest way to replace the panels. Advice?

Martin Logans distributer in Canada is Plursion. You will have to talk to [email protected] about ordering new panels.
cyril, welcome to the ML club.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Cyril, there have been reports here that Plurison sells panels at prices that are considerably higher than in the US, so you may want to consider buying them in the US. Of course, warranty may be an issue, but if the price difference is great enough you may want to take a chance.

Contact Martin Logan directly. They will hook you up with Plursion.The contact I gave you was the one ML gave me.mL will take good care of you.

Cheers, Greg

Have you tried vacuuming the panels? Over time, the panels collect dust and muddle up the highs. Unplug the speakers for 24 hours and then vacuum them thoroughly. The sound should come back. Worth trying before spending money on new speakers.

Could also try showering them (just the panels, not the whole speakers) and/or the hairdryer trick, but I don't know how much help I would expect it to be on 12 year old panels.

I got new panels from Martin Logan directly for $500 for my Aerius. I'd contact them directly. Very very very nice people!

Hi!
Cyril0

Contact Russ from esl Repair. I´ll can probably fix your panels. http://eslrepair.com/default.aspx

I had very low output from other panel. I sent panels to Russ and he cleaned them and and added new coating conductive liquid. Panels are still on their way to me, but Russ sent frequency measurements and they looked very nice. Service costs about 200 usd.

BW

Jari

Hi!
Cyril0

Contact Russ from esl Repair. I´ll can probably fix your panels. http://eslrepair.com/default.aspx

I had very low output from other panel. I sent panels to Russ and he cleaned them and and added new coating conductive liquid. Panels are still on their way to me, but Russ sent frequency measurements and they looked very nice. Service costs about 200 usd.

BW

Jari

That sounds pretty good...which panels were they and what was ML charging you for replacement panels?

Also, how much did shipping and packing both ways run you?

Just want a fair comparison to a new replacement.

Hi Shakham.

Panels are from Aerius. ML`s importer here in Finland wants about 1300€ (1750usd)from new panels. Price is astronomical compared to fixing. Price is high because of vat and custom payments. And Importer wants also their cut. Shipment to northern Europe is about 80usd.

Back