Are there losses from Y'ing an RCA cable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
I just picked up a descent (which based on just a few minute listen this morning is pretty awesome) and I want to set it up with both LFE input and L/R input. My receiver only has a single L/R output. Am I sacrificing anything if I Y that output and send one to the amp, one to the sub? Thoughts?

Is it even possible to get the sub to recognize LFE and L/R at the same time?

In any case, there shouldn't be "losses" so to speak with a Y splitter, but that's not to say it isn't capable of changing the sound, which would probably be for the worse. Monster used to make one that looked good, all one solid piece with no wire sections, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Anyway, if you already have all the cabling you would need, a splitter won't cost much and there's no reason not to get a pair and give it a try. If you'd need to buy extra cables just to test, I don't think it's worth the investment.

The receiver will not output anything to LFE when running in stereo. For HT when the sub sees LFE, it default to the LFE input. At least that is my understanding of the manual.

HT Receivers can be kind of complicated, I still have to battle with mine sometimes, but for 2 channel listening, rather than putting it in stereo mode, I think you might be able to put it in 7 channel mode or something like that. That way, I think it will identify that you only have 2 speakers hooked up and not try to output to the other channels but still let you use LFE. I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but can anyone confirm that this is or isn't possible?

There are ways that I can make it work in stereo mode, but by wiring it up like I am considering I will be able to have different crossover points from HT and for stereo. I want to crossover very low for stereo (I have summits) and high for HT for more impact.

I'm just guessing here as I don't have a Descent but from your description of the equipment:
The LFE input is meant for a LFE output from a receiver. That means the receiver decides what crossover point and sends the lows to the sub, where additional crossover processing is unlikely. That would mean that if you y'd your L/R outputs to the LFE input on the sub, the sub would get the full spectrum signal and try to reproduce it.
The L/R input on the sub is meant for the sub's onboard processing (Xover point, level, phase, etc.) and will deal with the full spectrum signal as set.
A y connector to bridge these two inputs from the same source would not work well.

Beakman's most likely right... you really shouldn't jumper the L/R with the LFE... they won't play well. Things will *probably* configure to whichever input the sub uses as a default when both are plugged in (based on micro-switches or signal sensors at the actual input).

What if you just connect your LFE, leave the l/r inputs floating, and use the receiver's built-in variable LPF (assuming it sports that function) to change the cross-over depending on when you play stereo music versus multi-channel a/v? Otherwise, maybe an Outlaw ICBM bass management box?

I'm just guessing here as I don't have a Descent but from your description of the equipment:
The LFE input is meant for a LFE output from a receiver. That means the receiver decides what crossover point and sends the lows to the sub, where additional crossover processing is unlikely. That would mean that if you y'd your L/R outputs to the LFE input on the sub, the sub would get the full spectrum signal and try to reproduce it.
The L/R input on the sub is meant for the sub's onboard processing (Xover point, level, phase, etc.) and will deal with the full spectrum signal as set.
A y connector to bridge these two inputs from the same source would not work well.

I am no trying to y the inputs to lfe, they will go to l and r in on the sub. Lfe will go to lfe.

I am no trying to y the inputs to lfe, they will go to l and r in on the sub. Lfe will go to lfe.

I see... my bad, thanks for correcting. Still a similar situation tho since your sub may default to one or the other with both plugged in.

Per the manual, it will be LFE when there is an LFE signal. Otherwise, it will be L&R. Perfect for dual configuration. I've already got the interconnects, I'll go and pick up some Y's and see how it works.

Per the manual, it will be LFE when there is an LFE signal. Otherwise, it will be L&R. Perfect for dual configuration. I've already got the interconnects, I'll go and pick up some Y's and see how it works.

I am currently running 4 subs. The front left and right are Descents and are connected to left and right sub outputs on my Meridian G68 processor. The two rears are Velodyne DD-18's which are connected to the LFE using a single balanced output which I split. The 18's rock. I think you will be just fine with the split signal.

Gary

Latest posts

Back