Apple's NEW cell Phone- featuring iTunes and more.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see Apple's phone as a phone at all. For me, it's a demo of how to concentrate 200+ patents in a few square inches, and showing the world a whole new highway node of future possibilities. This thing is actually a micro Mac computer, release 1.0, which in future releases can be stretched to any dimension one could find appropriate. It can become anything: your next year's iPod, internet butler, intelligent remote controller, palm device, you name it. Immagine a 4 Terabyte iTV (oops... Apple TV) (btw, just ordered one, will arrive in a month...) connected to your HiFi and browsing its contents via such a device. This thing is a distillate of Apple, it's Apple's business card for the next decade. It shows what they are able to do, both from a hardware and a software point of view. And it also shows the enormous difference between improvers and innovators.

Last edited:
Actually I can't subscribe to the "stealing" thing. There are at least 5 companies, different from Cisco, that use the term iPhone for their gadget, and Cisco has done nothing against them. Of course, if it's Apple using it, some cow milking is appropriate...but I don't think that the final name will be "iPhone". The name is NOT printed on the device, and Steve Jobs just mocks Cisco a little - the whole world knows that the i thing belongs culturally to Apple, even if not legally. I mean, who did ever know about Cisco's - or the other guys' - iPhones ? Nobody... but now Steve rides the wave and everybody will call it iPhone, the real one, even if Apple will label it iPod Phone or Applephone or whatever. It's marketing 101.

I've known about it. I have several friends at Cisco. One of my friends is a product designer on that project that the engineers systematically ignore. The 'i' prefix existed before Apple ever used it.

The beef between Cisco and Apple is open vs. propriatary interfaces.

I don't see Apple's phone as a phone at all. For me, it's a demo of how to concentrate 200+ patents in a few square inches, and showing the world a whole new highway node of future possibilities. This thing is actually a micro Mac computer, release 1.0, which in future releases can be stretched to any dimension one could find appropriate. It can become anything: your next year's iPod, internet butler, intelligent remote controller, palm device, you name it. Immagine a 4 Terabyte iTV (oops... Apple TV) (btw, just ordered one, will arrive in a month...) connected to your HiFi and browsing its contents via such a device. This thing is a distillate of Apple, it's Apple's business card for the next decade. It shows what they are able to do, both from a hardware and a software point of view. And it also shows the enormous difference between improvers and innovators.

I feel just the opposite. The Apple TV seems to be a dog in my book. No need for with the coming advent of Wimax. The phone is cool. Yes, its just the beginning on cell phone possibilities. Service providers have really been holding back development possibilities. B.T.W., I bet you will be able to use the i/apple phone as a remote in the near future. A

I feel just the opposite. The Apple TV seems to be a dog in my book.

At $299, it'a no-brainer for me. I was about to buy a MacMini for twice the price, to do the same thing the iTV will be doing in my system: storing all my pictures, ready for a slide show or for individual projection and holding about 30 GB of mp3's - the best from my 1.5 TB mp3 collection, connected via HDMI to the Yamaha receiver. With remote control and a gorgeous interface. Wow. But of course your mileage might vary - wimax is anything but an incoming theme here in Europe.

Last edited:
Bone head move on Apple's/Job's part for stealing Cisco's iPhone name. Sound's like they will be having fun in the courts.

The name could also be considered generic since there are other companies out there with the iPhone name. And that would never hurt Apple, if another company came out with a phone under the same name.

Last edited:
iphone

I think this is pretty cool. Hope to get one as soon as they hit Europe in late 2007.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/

The iPhone is built on the OS X which is the same operating system in Mac computers. So imagine the power it brings to the phone - basically you can have desktop class applications on the phone now. Features and looks wise this phone is going to be years ahead of the current models in US (there are advanced phones in the asian markets).

I wonder what the battery life would be though?

Back