Any Kindle owners here?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colour is a big reason why I'm not interested, essentially because I'd be using it for magazines and newspapers more than for books. Rest assured, there'll be colour models one day of course - it's just a classic case of "planned obsolesence". Colour TVs came in around 1960, for PC monitors in around 1985, for laptops around 1989, for mobile phones around 2000. Now there's a new gadget around, they've got to start off with c.1950 technology so they can upgrade and upsell and sell all the early adopters the devices five times over.

It's not good for consumers' pockets and it's criminal to the environment! On that note, from my experience, they've also decided to install insanely slow processors in these things - they take an eternity to change from page to page. What century do they think we are in?

This is 2009 for crying out loud - why black and white? Exactly how stupid do they think we are?

Last edited:
Can't be any worse for the environment than cutting down trees and flushing printing waste down the drain...

I'm still curious to see what this is all about..

Thanks for the tip on emailing a PDF to the darn thing! Could be a good work around.

Well, I for one hope it is offered on Kindle AND other formats. I don't own a Kindle yet, but I plan to (based on good reviews) pick one up for myself, one for my wife and one for my mom. It'll save us all a LOT of space, respectively.

-Allen

This is 2009 for crying out loud - why black and white? Exactly how stupid do they think we are?

Have you actually seen one of these in person? I think the electronic-ink display technology is pretty innovative. It produces black and white and sixteen shades of gray for a very nice, readable monochrome screen. I personally think color is more distracting than desirable. I think the emphasis is on readability of text, as it should be. I have been reading monochrome text in books, newspapers and magazines my entire life, so I don't see what the big deal is. If you want color, get an iphone.

As for the environment, there is no question in my mind that widescale adoption of a device like this is a thousand times better for the environment than continuing to print the millions of books, magazines, and newspapers that so often wind up in our landfills.

As for the environment, there is no question in my mind that widescale adoption of a device like this is a thousand times better for the environment than continuing to print the millions of books, magazines, and newspapers that so often wind up in our landfills.

Hence the reason why more people should recycle! Pulped dead trees (aka "paper") is reusable/recyclable; it doesn't need to end up in the land fill.

Hence the reason why more people should recycle! Pulped dead trees (aka "paper") is reusable/recyclable; it doesn't need to end up in the land fill.

Exactly, we haven't landfilled a newspaper, magazine or book in over a decade. We have also e-recycled everything the company would take, but much of that will still end up in a landfill.

Exactly, we haven't landfilled a newspaper, magazine or book in over a decade. We have also e-recycled everything the company would take, but much of that will still end up in a landfill.

You're one of the careful ones! But just because paper can be recycled, it doesn't mean everyone does. And having worked in printing for years, recycled paper doesn't print as well in high end applications as fresh paper does.

I think something like the Kindle will help in some areas if for nothing else to cut down clutter. I know I'd love to have all that stuff in one place.

We'll see how it shakes out. It arrives tomorrow, which is good timing because the new issue should go live tonight or tomorrow, so I have a few days to play with it.

Amazon's PR dept, might even let me talk to Bezos for ten minutes, so I'm pretty stoked about that!

You'll hear the news here first.

And certainly if there is a way for people to just access our website and get a copy of TONE on their Kindle at no charge, that's going to be my first path. I'll know a lot more when I get the device in my hands.

They may be able get it from your site; however, what's compelling to me is that sitting on a commuter train for a little over a buck I could download it directly and enjoy it right then. To me that's a cheap price for instant gratification.

They may be able get it from your site; however, what's compelling to me is that sitting on a commuter train for a little over a buck I could download it directly and enjoy it right then. To me that's a cheap price for instant gratification.

Well, that's what I'm hoping for...

I honestly don't expect people to subscribe to TONE via Kindle. However, if we do throw it out there for a very reasonable price and then people go to our website after buying an issue, that's ok too.

Then we get Amazon's marketing machine behind us.

You're one of the careful ones! But just because paper can be recycled, it doesn't mean everyone does. And having worked in printing for years, recycled paper doesn't print as well in high end applications as fresh paper does.

Very true re: not everyone does but you must agree that everyone should. Books printed on recycled don't have either the look or the feel of those printed virgin, so to speak.

I think something like the Kindle will help in some areas if for nothing else to cut down clutter. I know I'd love to have all that stuff in one place.

I can definitely see a use for such a device for the rail/bus/plane commuter and for the gadget freak. I just like the feel of a book/magazine.

We'll see how it shakes out. It arrives tomorrow, which is good timing because the new issue should go live tonight or tomorrow, so I have a few days to play with it.

Amazon's PR dept, might even let me talk to Bezos for ten minutes, so I'm pretty stoked about that!

You'll hear the news here first.

Let us know how it is in a tactile sense. Part of the appeal of books for me is in the holding of them. Somewhat like the analog ritual:confused:

Oh, I do agree everyone should! Hey, Portland just got voted the greenest city in America, but there's always something else you can do. That's why we never made TONE a print magazine in the first place...

And I understand the tactile thing. A long time ago, I worked for one of the best printers in the world on multi-million dollar annual reports, etc. It would be awesome to see TONE printed on that level, but it would cost you about 25 bucks an issue!

But just as music servers have taken hold, that's kind of how I see the Kindle, like an iPod for your favorite books and magazines.

It's the same with my system. While I really appreciate the convenience of a music server, I really enjoy listening to a record when I have time too. I don't see it as sacrificing one for the other, it's more expanding the pallette.

Have you actually seen one of these in person? I think the electronic-ink display technology is pretty innovative. It produces black and white and sixteen shades of gray for a very nice, readable monochrome screen. I personally think color is more distracting than desirable. I think the emphasis is on readability of text, as it should be. I have been reading monochrome text in books, newspapers and magazines my entire life, so I don't see what the big deal is. If you want color, get an iphone.

I'm just expressing concern about the planned obsolesence of this thing. I mean, they've just released an upgrade to a greyscale screen!! Wow - hold on to your hats, when did you last see a greyscale screen on a laptop? I hold that this is all about planned obsolesence - they'll probably release a rudimentary 16-colour version next year.

And I also hold that the continual replacement of toxic e-gadgets is worse for the environment than recycled or plantation paper. I've actually heard that plantation paper, in particular, is actually better for the environment becuase trees in their growth stage produce far more oxygen than a mature tree!

Of course a Kindle (or similar) is theoretically better, but only if it is well built without any planned obsolescence; and designed and constructed to last 20-30 years (just like good old fashioned appliances). But if the intention is for these things to become an annually replaced gadget just like mobile phones, iPods, laptops, et al then it's criminal.

Last edited:
Everything in the world of electronics goes obsolete faster than it probably should...

But just like hifi, I'll bet there will be a lot of people that would only buy a Kindle to read books, that will not want to buy the latest greatest, but might be really happy to pick up a used Version 2 for 88 bucks on eBay.

Just like we recycle our HiFi!

O.K., I couldn't stand it. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. It should be here Monday. I'll let you know what I think.

We have several Kindle owners here at work, they all seem to like them and you see people taking them with them on plane trips and sometimes at lunch. I would think that anything under 2 bucks per magazine-wise would sell on Kindle. I would think if nothing else it would expand your market. You could offer downloaders a "free" for life PC subscription of Tone Audio just for downloading a $2 Kindle version :D

I've used the Sony book reader, a precursor to the Kindle, for 2-3 years now and I really like it. Its very convenient and eliminates having to carry lots of books around. For example, I like to read on vacation and generally take with me one book per day plus 2 books for travel days. However, on our 2-week cruise last year I only took the reader with 80+ books on it!

By the way, contrary to what was indicated earlier, the display for these readers is NOT 1960's technology. They are based on the relatively new Electronic Paper Display, or EDP, which "possess a paper-like high contrast appearance, ultra-low power consumption, and a thin, light form. It gives the viewer the experience of reading from paper, while having the power of updatable information." Their display's are almost indistinguishable from printed paper (aside from color), and only use power when pages are 'turned'. (The Sony Reader claims "6000 page turns per battery charge", which seems about right after extensive usage.)

I have both the original PRS-500 and the second generation PRS-505. Even though the Kindle had been released when I was looking to upgrade from the 500, I stayed with the Sony Reader for basically two reasons: 1) The kindle was bulkier, heavier, and had a more narrow greyscale range, and 2) The books from the Sony eBook site were (and still are) about 25% less than from the Amazon Kindle site.

Ignoring the display technology, the basic difference between the Amazon Kindle and Sony Reader is the purchasing and distribution mechanisms.

You see, the primary problem that had to be solved for a book reader to be a viable product is how provide and distribute content in a licensed manner. Sony decided to use the Apple iTunes model, creating an 'eBook' store and designed a PC storefront for it. The user would then use the PC to select, purchase, download to the PC, and upload (via USB) to a connected reader. Substitute iTunes for eBook and iPod for Sony Reader and you get the idea.

Amazon's approach was different and, IMO, much more inventive. They licensed usage on one of the national 3G cell networks, and then built the Kindle with a keyboard (the Sony reader doesn't have one) and 3G network access. They then created their storefront with a Kendle-based interface and the 3G network as the connection medium. This allowed them to eliminate the requirement for a PC and allowed direct downloading of both purchased (books), periodic (magazines, newspapers), and even personal (email) content. Pretty impressive, actually.

With the launch of the Kindle V2, they've addressed all of my complaints about the physical look and feel, as well as having the improved greyscale. Even with the relative higher cost of the books, I have to say I'd currently recommend the Kindle over the Sony reader. I'll probably even pick one up.

Still waiting for mine to get here today, but we are already discussing producing a "Kindle Optimized" version for Kindle and PDA readers in addition to our normal edition.

Once I get my hands on this thing and can see how TONE transports over there, we'll come up with something to take advantage of the Kindle platform.

Glad I've been doing Photoshop since day 1!

Stay tuned.

Back