Amps, Amps and more Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Once again doing the in/out Amp circus. So I purchased brand new Ampzilla 2000 MKII last month, they were very nice sounding but had red peak lights coming on at higher volumes with my CLX. Sent em back and they tested fine and the Peak lights are actually not peak lights but they are reading the input vs output differences. Either way they sounded awesome and are ready to be shipped back to me. In the mean time I picked up a Sanders Magtech Stereo amp which is absolutely awesome with my CLX. Keeping this for sure and may grab the mono version. Now here’s the kicker, I have been offered to either get my Ampzilla back or get a brand new pair of Bob carver Cherry 180 tube mono blocks! tempting for sure. Anyone here have any experience with these or heard them? Reviews are good. Power would handle the CLX at lower volumes I think. Another thing to consider is re-sale value because something has to go! So keep Ampzilla or get carvers......one or the other will be going up for sale. I appreciate any and all input.

So, with Carvers you will only listen at low volumes? Not too exciting to me. :rolleyes: With those awsome CLXs you will just be scratching the surface for what they can do. Would be sad not to take full advantage of your speakers. I know I do. :music:

It's totally up to your personal preference IMHO. Currently running mine with vintage ARC tube amp and I really like the way they sound and wide open imagining with no obvious lack of control.

Good point and thats exactly why I am keeping the magtech. I guess re-sale value is what Im more after. I already own the Ampzilla and they are paid for, so i can sell those or trede even for new carvers. I am curious though to hear them....

So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Carver Cherry 180 tube mono blocks (black color). I spoke with Carver and they stated that they designed this amp to handle 1OHM loads with no issue, particularly designed with the Apogee in mind is what they said. They assure me that these will drive the CLX without issue to very good volumes. I guess Im about to find out. I also spoke with a reviewer that has them right now and he is using them with the Martin Logan Montis and said its an awesome mix. between the Sanders and these hopefully Ill find some awesomeness! is that a word?

So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Carver Cherry 180 tube mono blocks (black color). I spoke with Carver and they stated that they designed this amp to handle 1OHM loads with no issue, particularly designed with the Apogee in mind is what they said. They assure me that these will drive the CLX without issue to very good volumes. I guess Im about to find out. I also spoke with a reviewer that has them right now and he is using them with the Martin Logan Montis and said its an awesome mix. between the Sanders and these hopefully Ill find some awesomeness! is that a word?

Has there ever been any truer awesomeness than your Amp-fest? I doubt it!

You sound like you're having a blast Pete. I know I'd be wetting myself (the really good way) if I were in that level of gear heaven. I'm extremely curious to hear your impressions of the Carvers. Please, for the sake of all that resides within awesomeness, keep us posted!

March 10, 2008 Urban Word of the Day: Awesomeness

1. An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce.

2. Something that qualifies as awesome.
Me: "I found 50 bucks on the street! Let's go get wasted!!"
You: "Awesomeness!!"

3. With sarcastic use, means that something is not awesome at all. A lower and calmer tone of voice is used, and is generally followed by derogatory physical action such as a shrug or eye rolling.
You: "I'm so happy to be going with my family on vacation, where I can't party..."
Me: "Awesomeness..." *rolleyes*

4. The quality of being awesome.
job interviewer: " what´s your best quality?"
me: "Awesomeness!!"

5. When two extremely compatible people date and constantly come up with fun stuff to do.
When Michael and Marisela got together it was pure awesomeness.

Latest posts

Back