amp recommendation for Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to everyone in here! Newbie at forum and at ML also...
Since you're talking about amps, what do you think about Gamut D200? Is this amp enough for a pair of SL3 in a room of about 35 sq.meters? :confused:

I would think the Gamut D200 would be fine. 100w @ 8ohms and then running at 400w @ 4 ohms, which is what the SL3's run at, would be more than enough :D The latest version of the Gamut D200 is the MkIII if I am not mistaken.

Dan

The reason I'm asking is because I don't see ML owners using Gamut amps. So I was wondering what could be the problem. Any matching problem perhaps, a bad combination between these two, or simply Gamut amps are overpriced at USA?

Thanks for your response dtb300! :)

Components and system matching are personal preference for each of us. We all own what we have found that: 1. We like and matched up well with the rest of our components and sonic preferences, and 2. We liked them for the $$$ we had or were able to spend.

I see the D200 MkIII is around $6k - $7k in price new, but can be had for around $3k+ used. But this appears to be classs A/B only amp. No mention of Class A operation? For that price in solid state, I would expect the amp to be able to run in Class "A" - and not the typical "slider" Class "A" for the first 5 watts...then up to A/B.

Another thing I noticed about the Gamut is:

"Speaker loads below 1.5 Ohms are not allowed by the protection circuit"

Now we all know from owning ML's that the speakers have a wide range of loads presented to an Amp. So not real sure what would happen if used with ML's as I have no experience with the amps, nor do I know any one who owns one. I would talk to manufacturer or dealers first about matching up with ML's to make sure if it was me.

Dan

Be Careful!

DTB300 said:
Another thing I noticed about the Gamut is:

"Speaker loads below 1.5 Ohms are not allowed by the protection circuit"

Dan

Most M-L's dip to 1 ohm or less in the high treble. Though there isn't a lot of energy in that part of the freq. range I'd still be really careful.

Correction:

My last amp was Bel Canto eVo4 gen II, prior to that was Vt100 II.

Ernie.

Thanks a lot guys!

Ernie, please tell me more about your system. Isn't Gamut "complaining" about the difficult load of Ascents?

By the way, the link was very helpful! :)

ernio1 said:
;) I bumped into this post from audioasylum.com regarding Gamut and ML's.Here's the link.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=29827&highlight=d200&r=&session=

I have Gamut D200 Mk II with ML Ascent i. Last amp was VT100 mk II.

Great post Ernie!!!

Just what the thread was asking about: SL3's and Gamut. In my reply here, I just posted what I read on Gamut's site about the impendance warning or issue.

Have you ever had the protection circuitry kick in while using your Ascents?

Dan

You, everyone keeps throwing out amp recomendations, but I think we are missing the point that the amp should be selected to match the preamp. Normally I pick a preamp first, then find an amp who's character matches it, but you could easily go the reverse, but I think it's a mistake to pick one without considering the other.

For example, I have a Bel Canto 200.2 and love it, but on some solid state preamps (Adcom, Krell) it can sound a little sterile. With a warmer preamp (Meridian, Linn) or tube preamp it sounds wonderful.

Since you are looking for and amp and preamp, we should be discussing both.

For 2-channel audio I'd recomend a tube preamp with a solid state amp. I like the Bel Canto because it's class-T operation means no heat and no cooling issues, you could put it in a drawer and it would run just fine. Plus it has a very detailed soundstage. By foregoing the tube amp you are avoiding a lot of tube hassle, but that's a question of what your parameters are. Some people don't mind dealing with tubes.

James

James,
Great advice. I guess this is why we call it a hobby. :D I do think it a very wise to consider the amp and preamp and how may they interact and then there is everything else in the "chain" that can and does affect the sound.

How bout that for a run-on sentence. LOL

Jeff

Gamut and Ascents

I have not had the Gamut too long. When I first received it, I had a problem with losing sound in my right channel occasionally...but the amp was not shutting off. However, these amps have very bad binding posts where you cannot get a good connection with spades. I thought this was the problem. I did change to Monster X Terminator bananas. I have not had the same problem for a very long time..and I've been listening a lot. I would be happier if the connectors worked with spades since I still think the connection is not optimum with the X-Terminators. For this reason, I am holding my recommendation of the Gamuts with the Ascents.

I can say that the Gamut is an amazing amp. It seems to have a much wider bandwidth than any other amp I've had. I seems to go way low in the bass
region...but not necessarily tight bass (not unlike tube amps). It's ability to go so low in frequency really smooths everything out real nicely and enables you to hear whats going on very deep in the soundstage (again like tubes).
Team this with extremely resolving high frequencies with a lot of inner detail, with NO edge or irritation....I think, this is again from the ability to go very low which smooths things out a great deal.

BTW, I've had the Ascent i's for about a year. I had a brand new evo4 for only 2 months and sold it. I liked it at first for it's great power and high frequency detail. However, the detail got too irritating and I could not take it anymore.

I have a Gamut C2r preamp which is a great match with the amp....and has a great XLR pass through feature that enables me to listen to my Wadia CD player straight through.

Right now, I continue to be amazed with the Gamut and it may be my last amp for a while......but time will tell.

Ernie.

I just got my Mosaics, on the 24th of this month. However, I had heard MLs a long time ago and KNEW I wanted to get a pair of my own. The Mosaics may seem like "low-end" to some of you :eek: , but I'm enjoying every second of listening to them.

My Marantz 7200 seems to be plenty of amp for the speakers -- but the little Carver just brings out such incredible detail and precise imaging that I couldn't change the set up now.

I will be writing here quite a bit in the coming days and weeks. I am "in love" with these wonderful speakers -- and I see that I am going to want to talk about them every step of the way on this marvelous journey of sonic discovery.

I hope to "meet" and speak with you all.

Peace and Happiness to you all,

Neshamah

Neshamah,

First of all.....welcome. :p
Secondly congratulations of a great speaker. :D

Do not feel slighted or less than anyone else here! Everyone is welcome and the only thing that is important is that you enjoy your new speakers and share your excitement and joy with the rest of us.

Some have spent 200K or better and some have spend 1/10th that amount. The price is meaningless if you do not enjoy it. Do not lose sight of the fact this is a hobby and it is to be enjoyed and not a contest of "one upsmanship".

I like many willl be looking forward to your posting on the Mosaics.

Congratulations on becoming a ML owner!

Jeff

Thank You !!!

Jeff,

Thank you for your nice words of welcome to the Forum. I haven't had the time to post like I want, but I hope to rectify this situation soon. My daughter is getting married on Saturday, and things should calm down considerably after that.

As you can see from my signature I have added more to my system in the past couple of weeks. I now have Sapphire Audio Bookshelf speakers as my rear surrounds (instead of the Infinity's). Also, I got a Marantz MA500 monoblock amp for my center channel (which is now a Fresco !!!).

The most significant addition to my system in the past few days has been a voltage regulator / stabilizer. I can't begin to describe how it has "opened up" my system. Highs are clear and full of "presence;" lows are deep and tight. If you (meaning everyone) don't have a voltage regulator / stabilizer for your system yet, I strongly recommend you go out and find one. I am CERTAIN you will be happy with the results.

It is GREAT to be here !!! :D

Neshamah

PS: I will be adding my system to the list of member's systems soon.

Welcome aboard Neshamah.

I too remember first listening to ML's many moons ago. It took a while but eventually I built a HT/Audio system that I'm proud to call my own. Welcome to the begining of your long audio journey with MartinLogan :)

BTW. What kind of power conditioning are you using?

The power regulator / stabilizer that I have was specially made for the Tweeter / Hi-Fi-Buys store-line by Belkin. It has four isolated, stabilized outlets on the back, with Auto and Manual switches on the front. Also on the front is a LED readout of the voltage input / output. The unit weighs about 35lbs.

I have tried to find something similar online, but these units were made for the Tweeter stores to use on their demo equipment, and they evidently didn't make anything comparable for consumer sales. The store near me was going out of business and gave me a GREAT deal on this unit. It is about 2 years old but still works like brand-new. The only complaint I would have against it is the noise it makes with the transformer on automatic, but this is minimal.

I plan to buy a PS Audio P600 sometime soon -- part of my never-ending upgrade.
;)

Neshamah

Neshamah said:
The power regulator / stabilizer that I have was specially made for the Tweeter / Hi-Fi-Buys store-line by Belkin. It has four isolated, stabilized outlets on the back, with Auto and Manual switches on the front. Also on the front is a LED readout of the voltage input / output. The unit weighs about 35lbs.

I have tried to find something similar online, but these units were made for the Tweeter stores to use on their demo equipment, and they evidently didn't make anything comparable for consumer sales. The store near me was going out of business and gave me a GREAT deal on this unit. It is about 2 years old but still works like brand-new. The only complaint I would have against it is the noise it makes with the transformer on automatic, but this is minimal.

I plan to buy a PS Audio P600 sometime soon -- part of my never-ending upgrade.
;)

Neshamah
Hola Neshamah...sometimes the noise coming from a transformer is due to a loose securing case screws of the transformer...all what you need is tighten again these screws...very tight! The noise is due to some plates of the transformer that are not secured and they resonates at around 60 Hz...btw, I love the sound of the Mosaic. They are the closest thing to an electrostatic panel...dipolar a a true push-pull speaker. The image is great, big and sometimes you don't believe that they can produce such great sound! Congrats and happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back