Amp for VANTAGE?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlack

Reaction score
Hello everibody!

I'm new here. Maybe this kind of questions was asked many times, but I didn't found punctual answers.

I ordered a pair of Vanage and I would like to ask you wich amplifier would feet better to this speakers. Anything else than McIntosh, Krell, Jeff rowland, Mark Levinson, Pass. I would prefere to be in the same price range ( aproximative ) like speakers, doesn't metter if it is integrated or pre+power. I would prefer to advize me from experience, evan if with some simillar models , and argues.

I tryed Myryad and Primare, but the resuls were less then good.

Many thanks!:bowdown:

Welcome, As a current Vantage owner using a Plinius SA-102 I couldn't be happier ! With that being said there are many happy ARC, CJ and BAT owners amonst the group as well. I suppose alot depends on what is available in your area as well as support should you need it.

At the moment I use an Audio Research preamp and a Mark Levinson power amp. It's a good combination with plenty of power and clarity.

I have used other power amp options though. Before upgrading to Summits, I had a pair of Vantages at home. These were great and I ran them with an Atoll Electronique IN50 integrated amp. Despite the modest technical claims for this amp (50 watts per chanell into 8 ohms), it drove the Vantages to very high levels with very good resolution and dynamics. Go figure.

What I am saying, you need to listen first and try to ignore specs and name brands. Also consider Parasound and of course, Plinius. Maybe a tube pre power combination? I've always wondered how my Summits would sound run by a 50 watt tube power amp...

Edit: I see you're from Budapest. Maybe you could consider a European option - like the Atoll Ellectronique amplifer I mentioned before. Atoll make both pre and power amps. They are very good value for money and you really don't need massive watts to drive the Vantages to very high levels.

Also Creek from the UK make some interesting amplifiers. Their new range is worth considering and they will drive low impedance loads quite happily. Also you could consider the Ayre amplifier range. I have one of their CD players and it's very well built and sounds great. Ayre have a wide range of integrated and pre power amplifiers that will drive ML speakers with no problems at all.

Last edited:
Other brands:

Audio Research (already mentioned), Sunfire (I have the Symphonic Reference and love it), Plinius (the amp Twich54 has is awesome!), Classe, Rotel (outstanding bang for the buck), Anthem, Conrad Johnson, etc. The price range is all over the place. Some people really like Outlaw Audio and they have a reputation for delivering great equipment at a very reasonable price.

There are a ton of really great solid state amps out there. If you aren't afraid to purchase used equipment, you'll have even more options.

Thanks for sugestions!

What do you think about my options untill this moment, wich would be better?:

Moon ( SIMAUDIO )
Bryston
Naim
Musical Fidelity
Jadis
Gamut
Melody
Densen

Please a few words about if somebody has already experienced and compared!

Regards!

I'll offer up Odyssey Audio.

Being from Budapest you may have heard of the brand Symphonic Line out of Germany. Odyssey Audio shares the same circuit design.

I'm very happy with mine. :D

Wich model of Odyssey and ML are you using?

Also, somebody here using Bryston? Some pros- ore cons- ?

Thanks and regards!

I power my Ascent i's with Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme SE's. You can find the Mono's used on Audiogon for <$2k / pair.

See my system. Member System #172.

I like the look of and have read good things about the MOON (Simaudio) gear... Have you looked into MBL? It is made in Germany so that might be easier to get and to have worked on if it came to it. Might be to expensive though. They are quite proud of their gear!

If you can find it, consider the Valve Audio Predator. They are made in South Africa, so Im not sure if it is available in your area.

It is a 200wpc integrated with 6922 input tubes and solid state outputs. Very simple looking but great sound. One of the best I've heard for the money and sounds great with the Vantages!

They are $3000 US, so not a super expensive amplifier here.

Good luck on the search!

Thanks for new replys .

Had anybody experienced DENSEN? I got a good offert for a few models, but it worth nothing if it would be not a perfect pair for ML

Any opinions? I got some contacts to some Jadis, Naim and Bryston devices. You know, I don't have the posibility to check at home , so I have to take with me the speakers, and there are not small. That's why I ask your opinion, to avoid carying with me.

Regards,
Tibi

McIntosh for Vantage?

My local ML dealer also sells McIntosh. I'm building a 2 channel stereo system around the Vantage speakers. The dealer suggests the McIntosh MA6300 integrated amp. I have only heard the Vantage demo with an AV receiver, so the Mac amp should really be a good step up. This will be my first venture into the ML world. What do you guys think?

S

Thanks for sugestions!

What do you think about my options untill this moment, wich would be better?:

Moon ( SIMAUDIO )
Bryston
Naim
Musical Fidelity
Jadis
Gamut
Melody
Densen

Please a few words about if somebody has already experienced and compared!

Regards!

As posted in a different thread, I am quicky becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Musical Fidelity's products, the build quality and sonics are very appealing to ME.

I personally was OK with the Primare sound, although your opinion differs.

Happy Shopping !!

Parasound?

Any one tried a Parasound HCA-855A 5 channel amp with Vantages?

or Parasound A 52 Five Channel Power Amplifier?

Any thoughts on Parasound? Compared to Krell?

I really like the idea of a Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II but not sure if my Sony AVR will power it up, not sure if the triggers would work and the SF Cinema has no power button on the front.

Lee

I really like the idea of a Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II but not sure if my Sony AVR will power it up, not sure if the triggers would work and the SF Cinema has no power button on the front.

Lee

Lee, You can use the trigger on your Sony with your Belkin power to trigger an outlet for the Sunfire. Even if your Sony just has an accessory outlet on the back, you can use the AC trigger cable that comes with the Belkin to remotely turn on the amp. I'm quite happy with my Sunfire.

Why are Parasound Amps so much less expensive than Pass, Krell or Sunfire amps? Is it "You get the quality you pay for"? Is Parasound worth getting for Vantages? I see Para's for $500 or Krell and Sunfire for $2-3,000.00.
What is everyone running for watts (a good wpc for) Vantages?
Right now I am using a Sony AVR with 120 wpcx7, but I keep hearing that a new amp would be an incredible upgrade.

Thanks, Lee

If there is somewhere you can hear the Vantages with a McIntosh MC275, you should, just so you'll know what a good tube amp can do for electrostats. I know you aren't considering tubes right now, but it never hurts to be familiar with all the options. That way you can be more secure in your final decision ;)

Back