Amp Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
Ok, just looking for anyone whom actually owns a McIntosh MC252 or any McIntosh amp to give me some advice. I realize the MC252 isnt a tube amp but its a step in the right direction LOL . So I still havent posted my system yet, because its a work in progress for the last 2 weeks. I am happy with it to the point of considering buying summits for my front room and was wondering which McIntosh amp would be good with them. i have heard that the MC252 works well with vantages and figure they might work with summits. This will be kept a 2 channel system for cd, and sacd in 2 channel. Heres what i am looking at:
McIntosh MC252 USED
McIntosh MC402 Brand new still sealed in factory Box
MCINTOSH MC-602 Used

Also looking for a quality pre-amp to use with this amp! I have never owned a McIntosh so looking for feedback.

My home theater room made over the last 2 weeks consist of the following: pictures to come since I am considering changing amps again and pre-amp..lol My listening habits are as follows.
Muisc 2 channel sacd and Redbock 45%
Music 5 channel SACD and Dvd-A 25%
DVD Concerts 5.1 20%
Movies 5.1 or 7.1 Blu-ray, Hd-dvd and standard dvd 10%

My system as of 5-11-08
Vistas... Dark Cherry fronts
Motif Dark Cherry Center
Surrounds Script i's Black/silver trim
Surround backs Temps.. Klipsch rs-3
Depth i Sub Dark cherry
Powered by:
Nad M25 .... almost broke in.. Yippie
Nad T-175 pre-amp... Has bad Hdmi input.. Ouch 1 week old..lol
Nad M5 sacd and standard cd player
Denon Dvd-3930ci ... Dvd-a and movies
PS 3 for Blu ray
Toshiba Hd-a35 HD-DVD's
Interconnects from M5 Sacd player to pre-amp are Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 and also running them from pre-amp to amp.
Speaker wire is... BJC Ten White 10 awg

Thinking of changing Pre-amp to "Anthem Statement D2" since Nad hdmi input is defective.
Thinking of changing amp to Anthem Statement P5 and P2 for 7.1 My Nad m25 is outstanding for 7.1 runs very cool and clear but if i change pre-amp to Anthem might as well change it all!

So please let me know on the Mcintosh amps include your opinions and favorites and also please let me know on pre-amp. This set up will strictly be for Music :music:, so do i get solid state McIntosh or go tube? Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks In advance for your help. Mike

If you are going to use a hybrid stat (that is, one with both stat panel and conventional cone woofer sections, both sections to be driven by the owner's external amp(s)) then it's probably best to go with a ss amp. If as I do, you prefer a tube amp for the stat panel, then IMO you will have to bi-amp using a modest ss amp for the woofer(s). With the Vantage and Summit, basically ML is including the ss woofer amp(s) with the speaker.

I drive my CLS's with a single McIntosh MC275 as you may know. Mac makes great tube amps, always have, plus they employ a proprietary circuit design (the Unity Gain circuit) which makes them very stat-friendly. They are also a very good value, even with the recent price increase. There are certainly other excellent tube amplifiers, mostly for more money. As for ss amps, I've never felt that was Mac's strongest area. For one thing, why put an output transformer on a ss amp just because the company is legendary for making great in-house transformers (for tube amps!) No wonder they don't sound like most ss amps! But neither do they sound like tube amps - and those (unnecessary) transformers aren't cheap!

I have a 352 with a C2200 tubed pre and enjoy the sound it provides. I do not have the experience with rolling amps in and out of my system as some of these other guys have. I did listen to a couple, Bryston and Krell but I kept coming back to the Mac. I don't know about the magic that goes on inside any amp or pre but I know I like the the tubed pre with the SS amp.

I'm considering getting another 352 and running them mono. I'd like the 501's but frankly I don't like the 3D front on them. I wonder if Mac can make one flat like the rest of my gear?

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I do know I'm happy with the system I have.

Gordon

i used to drive my logos with an mc60 (tube monoblock) and it was incredible. so much so that i considered getting 4 more for fronts and surrounds :) truly magical sound.

i ended up with a tube amp failure upstairs, so i moved the mc60 up there, getting a second one to match it and the two happily drive the ESL57s.

the only downside to the mac driving the logos was the warmup time and me never ever remembering to turn the darn thing on. i can't count the number of movies that i watched with no dialog for the first 30seconds of the flick :)

if you are less forgetful than me, i say go for it.

Neil, thanks for the post. I have always wondered about this amp with CLS's...

I have my CLS's crossed over at 65hz, so the Sunfire is coasting along without much difficulty. Still I wonder about introducing some tube magic at the amp end again. Can the MC275's be run in mono operation?
If so, how much power do they produce?

Thanks.

...I drive my CLS's with a single McIntosh MC275 as you may know. Mac makes great tube amps, always have, plus they employ a proprietary circuit design (the Unity Gain circuit) which makes them very stat-friendly. They are also a very good value, even with the recent price increase. There are certainly other excellent tube amplifiers, mostly for more money. As for ss amps, I've never felt that was Mac's strongest area. For one thing, why put an output transformer on a ss amp just because the company is legendary for making great in-house transformers (for tube amps!) No wonder they don't sound like most ss amps! But neither do they sound like tube amps - and those (unnecessary) transformers aren't cheap!

Back