Quantcast

Aerogel

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Will this be the next thing they coat our interconnects and speaker wires with?

http://www.unitednuclear.com/aerogel.htm
Aerogel is made from Silicon Dioxide, the same material as ordinary Glass,
only 1,000 times less dense.

Aerogel (also called 'frozen smoke' because of its hazy blue appearance), is a truly remarkable material.
It is the lightest and lowest-density solid known to exist, and holds an unbelievable 15 entries in the Guinness Book of World Records, including best insulator and lowest density solid.
Aerogel is composed of 99.8% air and is chemically similar to ordinary glass.

Being the world's lightest known solid, it weighs only three times that of air.

A 3,000°F blowtorch under a thin slice of Aerogel
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
A Future - "Force Field"...

kach22i,

This seems like it could be the future application of "Force Field" technology? I would speculate that our military is very interested in this technology for protecting our armed forces, from our aircraft i. e., Stealth Bombers to our military shipping - Aircraft Carrier battle groups etc., even commercial aircraft and shipping as well... :)
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
It's just really fancy glass Robin.

I think they are very smart to offer samples for sale so people will experiment and find new uses/markets for it.

I don't know if this came out of the DoD's SBIR & STTR Funding program.

http://www.win-sbir.com/
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Fascinating Development though..

kach22i,

It seems so simple but so effective as an insulation against heat. I reminds me of the protective skin of the Sci-fi drilling subterranean drilling ship in the film, "The Core"... :)
 

Kruppy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
822
Reaction score
0
Location
Rochester, Michigan
Aerogel has been around for quite a while. I've been doing a bit of research on it for my work. It was used on the NASA Stardust program.

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

You'll find that beyond its aerospace applications it's used for heat shielding for engine compartments, shoe inserts for insulating the foot from the sole of the shoe (artic conditions), and also insulation in jackets.

The stuff aint cheap.......

If anyone is interested this is a bit of history on the Samuel Kistler the inventor of Aerogel in the 30's

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/kistler/index.htm
 

Yang1815

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
Location
Omaha, NE
Robin said:
kach22i,

This seems like it could be the future application of "Force Field" technology? I would speculate that our military is very interested in this technology for protecting our armed forces, from our aircraft i. e., Stealth Bombers to our military shipping - Aircraft Carrier battle groups etc., even commercial aircraft and shipping as well... :)
What does insulator material have anything at all to do with force field?
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Yang1815 said:
What does insulator material have anything at all to do with force field?
Nothing, she was just making a joke or critical observation about the materials apperance in photos.

The pictures look fake somehow - ghostly.
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Aerogel Looks Cool...

Kruppy said:
Aerogel has been around for quite a while. I've been doing a bit of research on it for my work. It was used on the NASA Stardust program.

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

You'll find that beyond its aerospace applications it's used for heat shielding for engine compartments, shoe inserts for insulating the foot from the sole of the shoe (artic conditions), and also insulation in jackets.

The stuff aint cheap.......

If anyone is interested this is a bit of history on the Samuel Kistler the inventor of Aerogel in the 30's

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/kistler/index.htm
Kruppy,

I didn't know NASA has been using this stuff for years, but I must say, I'm not surprised. Thanks for the link to information regarding Samual Kistler. He seems like a very interesting gentleman. Areogel looks so cool in kach22i's photo above... :D :D
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
This is a force field from hollywood, showing the same blue ice overtones.



Is that you Robin? :D
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
My Force Field...

kach22i said:
This is a force field from hollywood, showing the same blue ice overtones.



Is that you Robin? :D
kach22i,

Yes, that's me surrounded in a Aerogel - circular force field... :D
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
If that's really her, Robin is one hot lady... I mean.. er.. *walks out door*.
 

Latest posts

Top