A really good thunderstorm recording...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
For some reason, I love listening to thunderstorms! Probably because they happen so rarely on the Central Coast. I haven't got much in my collection, maybe one or two, so if any members out there can offer some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks and regards,
Ross

For some reason, I love listening to thunderstorms! Probably because they happen so rarely on the Central Coast. I haven't got much in my collection, maybe one or two, so if any members out there can offer some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks and regards,
Ross

Come to TX or the midwest in the spring and summer...you will get your fill! If you are REALLY unluckly you might even get to check out a Tornado up close and personal. Oh, for you CA types that can't even comprehend tornados, I am 42 and have lived in TX ALL MY LIFE and NEVER have I seen one! I even LOOK for them. I have been near by (within about 15 miles of them) but never actually saw a funnel cloud... wait, I take that back there was a LITTLE TINY one back when I was in college that went through the other side of campus from where I was... it was not well defined and did no damage on campus but did take the shingles off a crappy old roof on an old house across the street. So, while you do hear about them it is unusual to actually SEE one, in central TX anyway...

T-storm recordings

For some reason, I love listening to thunderstorms! Probably because they happen so rarely on the Central Coast. I haven't got much in my collection, maybe one or two, so if any members out there can offer some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks and regards, Ross
"ENVIRONMENTS: Totally New Concepts in Music LP's from 1974/ 1979 SYNTONIC Reasearch Music Inc. There are 8 discs in all (I think) Disc 4, Side 1, is titled "The Ultimate Thunderstorm" and it's pretty good. You can find them on eBay > music > Environments. I originally bought Disc 4 and Disc 7 -- maybe I'll give them a listen (we won't get T-storms here in Tucson 'til the monsoons come in July/August -- I hope!)

Ross, Good morning, as most know on this forum I'm a railroad nut. Well I can tell you first hand nothing goes together like steam engines and thunderstorms ! So for me my favorite is "The Power and the Majesty" , beautifully recorded by Brad Miller on the Mobile Fidelity / Sound Lab label back in the late seventies. The recording was done on 30 ips 4-channel quadraphonic master tapes.

Attachments

• UMOB-1004.jpg
    UMOB-1004.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 366
Ross, Good morning, as most know on this forum I'm a railroad nut. Well I can tell you first hand nothing goes together like steam engines and thunderstorms ! So for me my favorite is "The Power and the Majesty" , beautifully recorded by Brad Miller on the Mobile Fidelity / Sound Lab label back in the late seventies. The recording was done on 30 ips 4-channel quadraphonic master tapes.

Dave, that is considered a classic audiophile recording because of the sound being so realistic. Almost impossible to find these days, with minty copies running in $600-$700 range from what I've heard!

Dave, that is considered a classic audiophile recording because of the sound being so realistic. Almost impossible to find these days, with minty copies running in $600-$700 range from what I've heard!

$6-700, are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, not only will I buy the gas to Lawrence, I'll even buy lunch !!

$6-700, are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, not only will I buy the gas to Lawrence, I'll even buy lunch !!

I believe there is a CD of this for a boatload less dosh!

Thanks for the replies!
I have a recording of a thunderstorm in China, down in a river valley, that can be pretty brutal on equipment and the house. I don't remember the title of the album, and I try not to listen to it, because I can't resist turning it up! The dog tries to dive under the couch, the pictures get knocked sideways, and my next-door neighbor's windows rattle!
I've tried some recordings found in special effects CDs, but I haven't been impressed by the quality of them. I'll check out the possibilities posted here for sure!

"ENVIRONMENTS: Totally New Concepts in Music LP's from 1974/ 1979 SYNTONIC Reasearch Music Inc. There are 8 discs in all (I think) Disc 4, Side 1, is titled "The Ultimate Thunderstorm" and it's pretty good. You can find them on eBay > music > Environments. I originally bought Disc 4 and Disc 7 -- maybe I'll give them a listen (we won't get T-storms here in Tucson 'til the monsoons come in July/August -- I hope!)

Neil,

You know we don't have storms anymore. Damn global warning. :eek:

I found this on Amazon, it looks like the same thing, is it?

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Majesty...B000001P94/ref=m_art_pr_1/102-8739084-8499346

It looks like there is a volume two of it also, again with trains:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Majesty...B000001P96/ref=m_art_pr_3/102-8739084-8499346

-capT

Neil,
You know we don't have storms anymore. Damn global warning. :eek:
But wait! Don't you know? Al Gore is charging across the battlefield to slay the Global Warming dragon! We'll have storms again within ten years! His Academy Award reduced greenhouse gas emissions by .002%!:rolleyes:
I think he ought to get some credit.... he did invent the Internet after all....:haha1:
When will Greenies hold hunger strikes in front of active volcanoes?:D

But wait! Don't you know? Al Gore is charging across the battlefield to slay the Global Warming dragon! We'll have storms again within ten years! His Academy Award reduced greenhouse gas emissions by .002%!:rolleyes:
I think he ought to get some credit.... he did invent the Internet after all....:haha1:
When will Greenies hold hunger strikes in front of active volcanoes?:D

CLEARLY a man after my own heart! I LONG to sell Gore and his buddies CO2 credits. You can't IMAGINE how big the emissions signature from those private jets are! I could make a FORTUNE off these guys!

Don't get me wrong friends, I am not for wasting ANYTHING, especially our resources and I am not for pollution in ANY WAY, but this planet has heated and cooled for billions of years and it will keep doing it if we are here or not! One good volcanic eruption will do more damage than the history of mankind anyway, so it really seems silly to me to worry to much about our impact. It is insignificant next to the power of the force!

Now back to your regularly scheduled ML programming!

CLEARLY a man after my own heart! I LONG to sell Gore and his buddies CO2 credits. You can't IMAGINE how big the emissions signature from those private jets are! I could make a FORTUNE off these guys!
Now back to your regularly scheduled ML programming!

What's funny is that similar effects are being noticed throughout the inner solar system, in proportion to how far away the sun is.
However we've developed a cult of self-guilt that politicians and environmental groups exploit, so it's our fault that our planet is heating up. What they won't tell you is, that to make a worthwhile reduction in greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere, we would have to reduce TOTAL emissions by about ten percent every five years. Our contribution is about three percent or so. We don't have the technology to do that yet.
I could best quote Dr. Hadin from the movie Contact: "They're lining themselves up for the game of the Millennium"
'Nuff said about that.
Thanks all for the replies on this thread.

Back