5308ci .vs RX-Z11 .vs ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
I've been looking to get a new receiver to serve as an audio prepro and HT system. I currently use a Sony DA4ES which I've never been particularly happy with. It doesn't seem to sound as good as the ancient Sony ES Prologic receiver it replaced. I suspect that Sony has been diluting the "ES" brand. I'm looking to acquire multi-source HDMI switching, better audio processing, and support for the new high-def digital audio formats.

I drive my Ascent i mains via a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated fed from the pre-outs of the AVR, so power and speaker load is not an issue. The new AVR would mainly drive surround, and possibly an additional zone.

I've read through the AVSforum threads on both of these, but I don't know those people, and I know y'all ...:)

The Denon A1 separates as discussed in another thread here are a bit more than I am looking for.

My general reaction to the mentioned units is like this:

The Denon video processing (Realta) is better than the Yamaha's. The Yamaha has problems in particular with applying data overlays to an existing HDMI signal. The Denon apparently regenerates the HDMI signals as part of its processing, so it successfully inserts data/menu content.

The Yamaha uses parametric equalizers which I prefer, the Denon uses graphic equalizers (meh). This may be a wash, because most people I know think that the Denon Audyssey system is better than the Yahama YPAO equivalent. I'm not real happy with the "hire a tech for the 'Pro"-level Audyssey adjustments", as opposed to the normal Audyssey MultiEQ. I hate being nickle-and-dimed.

Both support XM as an add-on, but neither do Sirius. Both support internet streaming, but only in Windows protocols and lossy formats (MP3, etc.). Denon recommends an aftermarket software piece ($30) which will add support for iTunes. Both stream internet radio, both do HD radio, both do iPods via special optional docks.

The Yamaha is 11.2 while the Denon is 7.1+ (sort of - it supports up to 3 sub-outs, but it's unclear if they are independently-controlled or are repeaters for the main mono sub signal). The Denon supports what I consider a "fake" 9.1 by stealing some of the additional zone outputs.

Yamaha has 5/2 HDMI in/out, Denon has 6/2.

Denon supports full digital DVDA and SACD audio via DenonLink III, but unfortunately, my Denon multiformat player doesn't have DenonLink...

The Yamaha has a significantly lower street price than the Denon, which appears to sell generally for list.

My brother has had Yamaha gear and likes it; I have my Denon DVDA/SACD/DVD/CD player and like it, and by all acounts, both brands are pretty reputable.

Comments? Other suggestions? Heckling?

Why not look at a pre/pro rather than a receiver? If you arent using the amps, you dont need to buy them. :)

There is a thread here about the Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro. Marantz should be releasing their AV8003 (I think thats the model) soon as well. If you have a lot of cash, Denon will also have their new high end pre/pro available shortly if not now. Just some options.

OOPS....I should have read more carefully....I guess if you need the other channels for rears, etc....maybe a receiver is the way to go. :) Denon FTW. :)

Back