Seriously Good Amplifier For $180?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=22&blogId=1

Rated as good as a Krell 400xi by an owner on another forum. Plenty of power for your MLs... for nothing!

I'm thinking of buying one for fun...:) Certainly read the text of the review - it has some interesting statements, like:

'The main reason why golden-eared audiophiles hear differences between amplifiers that do meet those criteria is that they don’t listen at matched levels. (Let’s not even bring up the more complicated subject of double-blind listening tests.) If one amplifier is just 0.2 dB louder than another, it will sound different, and therefore “better” or “worse.” '

Has anyone tried one?

Last edited:
http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=22&blogId=1

Rated as good as a Krell 400xi by an owner on another forum. Plenty of power for your MLs... for nothing!

I'm thinking of buying one for fun...:) Certainly read the text of the review - it has some interesting statements, like:

'The main reason why golden-eared audiophiles hear differences between amplifiers that do meet those criteria is that they don’t listen at matched levels. (Let’s not even bring up the more complicated subject of double-blind listening tests.) If one amplifier is just 0.2 dB louder than another, it will sound different, and therefore “better” or “worse.” '

Has anyone tried one?

I haven't heard one, but I do have a Behringer component inmy system - the DSP1124P for sub eq. It's reasonable, but I wouldn't be using it for anything other than 20-28Hz!!

Sounds interesting, and yes - might be worth buying one for fun! - although it's not $180 here - it's $399!

Peter Aczel gratuitously bashing high end audio? Say it ain't so!

I've often wondered what's behind the psychology of Peter.

If you've read PA's rants, one must question his integrity and any of his sonic conclusions thereof.

GG

It's easy, he's a flat earth guy that can't hear. Anyone who claims that all amplifiers sound the same, can't hear in my book. We can all argue what we prefer till the cows come home, but there is a difference and it's a lot more than input impedance and gain matching.

I remember when we had the Sanders amp in. Mr. Sanders was a very nice guy (and I thought the amp was decent) but he also maintained that all amplifiers sounded exactly the same provided the levels were matched.

He also said that the louder amplifier would always be perceived as the better one, and the only reason I liked my Burmester amp was because it cost more than his amp.

Except even when I played the Burmester amp significantly quieter than his amp, or told unknowing listeners that the Sanders amps were the more expensive amplifiers, etc, etc. they always preferred the Burmester amp.

but hey, if you want a really good sounding little amp for 180 bucks, the Trends amp is surprisingly good!

If you've read PA's rants, one must question his integrity and any of his sonic conclusions thereof.

GG

you know Gordon....while I tend to agree I also see the other side, that being the audiophile who says..."I know I can tell the difference between product A and B" when in actuality the word "believe" should be substituted for "know".

Simply stated if sound engineering and science contribute to the design of a given product then the sound engineering and the science behind it should be able to quantify and qualify said product.

Next we enter the powerfull world of psychoacoustics and personal bias.

Hm... I'll order one and dump it on ebay when I get fed up with it - won't cost me more than a few quid at the end of the day. Just curious, really. If it betters the amp I have, I'll eat my hat, of course.

To be honest I really do not like solid state amps... so if this little sucker can even conjure up a bit of sympathy from me, I'm sure I'll think it is a good buy.

..I also see the other side, that being the audiophile who says..."I know I can tell the difference between product A and B" when in actuality the word "believe" should be substituted for "know".

Dave, I absolutely agree, and a proper level-match by measuring voltage at the speaker terminals is the proper method when critically evaluating two competing pieces of gear e.g. amps. My comment was aimed solely at Mr. Aczel's well-documented gift for ad hominem assaults on anything relating to high end gear.

Hm... I'll order one and dump it on ebay when I get fed up with it - won't cost me more than a few quid at the end of the day. Just curious, really. If it betters the amp I have, I'll eat my hat, of course.

To be honest I really do not like solid state amps... so if this little sucker can even conjure up a bit of sympathy from me, I'm sure I'll think it is a good buy.

When d'ya get it, when d'ya get it......Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Just ordered one, for fun, as I said - a couple of days?

If it really is good, I guess it's a great pee take on the likes of Krell... and hi-fi pricing as a rule. If it isn't, well...:)

The only way to really find out is to try one.

If it really is good, I guess it's a great pee take on the likes of Krell... and hi-fi pricing as a rule. If it isn't, well...:)

Just remember, it won't sound like your AA 211s ......... do you have a Krell on hand for comparison?

No Krell - but if you read the link above, that comparison has already been done - with the Krell deemed to be the 'more coloured'. Whether that's true or not is just up to you to decide. I don't know whether I should be more believable than anyone else.

you know Gordon....while I tend to agree I also see the other side, that being the audiophile who says..."I know I can tell the difference between product A and B" when in actuality the word "believe" should be substituted for "know".

Simply stated if sound engineering and science contribute to the design of a given product then the sound engineering and the science behind it should be able to quantify and qualify said product.

Next we enter the powerfull world of psychoacoustics and personal bias.
I agree. Sound engineering has shown that many Behringer products have severe problems. Some will work just fine and others will give nonsense results. I think it is quality control in their China factory. There are some video clips on youtube showing the weird faults on their equipment. It's all very interesting. Wikipedia shows their legal problems, (50 of their products had not been tested for conducted and radiated emissions limits as required by US law. Now they have a testing lab to ensure they are) and design infringement controversies. When working correctly, they receive many design awards on their equipment. My take is that it is a gamble when it comes to their equipment. If you get one that was actually quality checked, it may indeed, be a bargain. However, judging by all the people reporting nonsense issues with their equipment, I'd have to say they still have a pretty big issue with their quality control.

Last edited:

I wish I had that kind of time on my hands:confused: not!

go for 211 I still have not had time to compare my dads emotiva analog preamp to my c2300 as I know that their where a couple of members who where interested.I hate to say it but I think you are going to be very disappointed.

I wish I had that kind of time on my hands:confused: not!

go for 211 I still have not had time to compare my dads emotiva analog preamp to my c2300 as I know that their where a couple of members who where interested.I hate to say it but I think you are going to be very disappointed.

Get real Fish - very disappointed in an amp that costs peanuts, and I'm going to re-sell? Hm...

Tis just a bit of fun... sure we aren't getting a bit too serious around here?:)

Mind you, it could be excellent...:) I guess that's what everyone is afraid of, subconciously?

Me? I'm just curious - is a good amp for that money really possible? More than a few people seem to think it is...

Last edited:
Back