Seriously Good Amplifier For $180?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get real Fish - very disappointed in an amp that costs peanuts, and I'm going to re-sell? Hm...

Tis just a bit of fun... sure we aren't getting a bit too serious around here?:)

Mind you, it could be excellent...:) I guess that's what everyone is afraid of, subconciously?

Me? I'm just curious - is a good amp for that money really possible? More than a few people seem to think it is...

I think you got me all wrong. beleive me I am not afraid of a good cheap amp. I think it would be fun to stand by and watch you hook it up :devil:

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=22&blogId=1

Rated as good as a Krell 400xi by an owner on another forum. Plenty of power for your MLs... for nothing!

I'm thinking of buying one for fun...:) Certainly read the text of the review - it has some interesting statements, like:

'The main reason why golden-eared audiophiles hear differences between amplifiers that do meet those criteria is that they don’t listen at matched levels. (Let’s not even bring up the more complicated subject of double-blind listening tests.) If one amplifier is just 0.2 dB louder than another, it will sound different, and therefore “better” or “worse.” '

Has anyone tried one?

If the input is the only variable that matters then all we need are attenuators on our amps to make them all sound the same, correct? Why not just sale attenuators for us to use to match input levels?

If it were only that simple.

Last edited:
OK - for those that expressed some interest, I have put a little mini-review on the Wigwam thread: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic...052&forum_id=7

This would be a brilliant stand-in amp for those initially buying some MLs, but can't afford a better amp until they've managed to save up the funds. But you may find you have to spend a lot more to significantly better it with another solid state alternative. I'm sure you will, in fact.

Last edited:
Nice review there, Justin. Sounds like you don't love the amp, but don't hate it either. For under $200 it seems like a very sensible option for those just starting out.

As you noted jumping from this particular to amp to a significantly better one might entail adding another zero to the price tag.

Erik

Back