Audiophile Acoustic Guitar Recording - Free Download!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
OK - been messing on my Gibson Acoustic - and burning the recordings to CD - then playing it back. It's pretty mad how great the recordings actually sound - they are firmly in the Audiophile category!

So I thought I'd post a recording. I have kept it short, at around 16.5 Mb for pain free download. I have also kept it real - you may hear me curse at the beginning (I am trying to get the Edirol to stand up!) and clear my throat at the end.

It's just a basic chord sequence I dreamt up today. I am using a soft pleck which is really audible - you can hear it scrape over the strings really vividly.

So if you want to hear what is possible using cheap kit these days, I think you'll find this beats most commercial recordings for SQ. You MUST play it really loudly to get the best effect - but I guarantee if you do, your Logans will reward you! Blow it onto a CD - it's cheap enough these days.

Here's the link: http://www.filesavr.com/madeup_1

Maybe not the world's finest guitar playing, but this is an SQ exercise - not a guitar playing one. The recorder cost £250. But even a laptop with a £15 mic can get pretty close. I kid you not! The trouble is the laptop noise. But the Edirol is SS so it is quiet.

BTW: the SQ on this absolutely destroys the CLX recordings I did a while ago. Nothing like recording a real instrument rather than a playback system! But that isn't to say the CLX isn't great.

Sorry - forgot to say - it is a 44.1 KHz / 16 bit recording. And it will sound awful through your PC, so do as I say, and play it through your Logans!

I accept this thread may stimulate little interest - the CLX recordings went down like a dead duck - or people just thought it was futile - which is fair enough. But if you bother to do what I say, you might be surprised at the SQ.

Having heard the CLX and played back the recordings through headphones, they definately told you more than a reviewer can. You just have to add a factor for "it's a recording" in your mental map. The tonal presentation was definately there.

Oh - zee geetar is an SJ200 Super Custom Cutaway, loaded with the finest strings available IMHO - Elixir Nanowebs.

This recording shows what you get when you don't mess around, you don't compress, and you don't overly produce to get "a sound". This sort of recording is what we all need more of!

Just waiting for the "I downloaded it and it sounded crap" comment:D

Last edited:
I accept this thread may stimulate little interest - the CLX recordings went down like a dead duck

May I suggest a reason for this was the excruciatingly slow downloads from the FileSavr site? I tried to download the CLX recording and cancelled it two minutes later after receiving download speeds of about 2.2k/s!

I just tried to download this one and received only 6.3 k/s so I cancelled it straight away.

Is everyone else finding this unusable, or is it just me in backwater Australia?

Any chance of being able to FTP it straight from your terminal? Or I could PM you an email address?

Last edited:
Just signed up for 7 days free trial, as I noticed the file disappeared really quickly. So the link above should be OK for a few days until I cancel the trial.

The site is really quick when the US is asleep. But slow otherwise - tolerable, but slow.

Anyway, acoustic recordings like this really show what MLs are capable of. I might put another one up tomoz.

May I suggest a reason for this was the excruciatingly slow downloads from the FileSavr site? I tried to download the CLX recording and cancelled it two minutes later after receiving download speeds of about 2.2k/s!

I just tried to download this one and received only 6.3 k/s so I cancelled it straight away.

Is everyone else finding this unusable, or is it just me in backwater Australia?

Any chance of being able to FTP it straight from your terminal? Or I could PM you an email address?

Adam - just do it when the US is asleep and you will get near 100K/s. Or be patient... or if anyone knows a better 100% free file hosting site, I am all ears!!!

Last edited:
OK - here's something recognisable - Karma Police by Radiohead. Interesting because it is a piano part - yet it does work on an acoustic.

Here's the link: http://www.filesavr.com/karmapoliceacoustic

Once again, it is in CD quality - so just burn it to a CD.

Point of note: this recording has not been played with in any way. Because of the dynamic range of a real instrument, many peaks occur that are substantially above the norm. A real recording engineer would truncate them to get the volume up - I have not done this in either recording. Therefore, you will need to play this with quite a bit more gain than is usual for a CD.

I remember Hi-Fi News looking into this - they claimed many commercial CDs have such high levels that massive saturation has occured. Or they are compressed beyond belief.

Remember to play it at high volume levels for best results.

I was thinking about overlaying this with some vocals. Instead of "Karma Police - I've given all I can, it's not enough etc" with something like "Martin Logan, my Ascents have given all they can, it's not enough - I need a pair of CLX!":D

Cheesey, I know. If anyone wants to overlay a vocal - feel free to do so! It could be the site theme tune. Er...:)

Last edited:
Back