Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The analogy being: The proper drinking vessel is required to reap full benefit of the best brewed libations
The same goes for wine - Riedel stemware, that is. I don't much care for the current fad of drinking wine out of stemless glasses.

This to me is how a fine wine should taste. Perfectly balanced, full bodied, distinct fruity notes, not too sweet, not too dry - zero astringency. I could drink it by the metric-ton, a sip at a time of course.

Cheers (and I mean that literally)

I have only every had one or two bottles of Cakebread. And never the Cab Sav. But now I think I'm going to have to track this down. US wines can be damn hard to track down here......not sure why when we get plenty of wine from other wine producing regions of the world.

And yes - stemless glasses are a joke. May as well use a tumbler or beer glass. Yuck. In fact, I think they're a conspiracy to make you drink more.......because you have to quaff it all down before your hand makes it hot!

Last edited:
And yes - stemless glasses are a joke. May as well use a tumbler or beer glass. Yuck. In fact, I think they're a conspiracy to make you drink more.......because you have to quaff it all down before your hand makes it hot!
Montreal has a large number of "Bring Your Own Wine" places (no corkage fee, and however much wine you drink you don't pay the establishment). One of them that I have been to (a Greek restaurant) gives you water tumblers because "that's what they give you in tavernas in Greece".

I think it's just because stemware is more expensive and fragile than tumblers that they give you those damn tumblers.

Last edited:
I have only every had one or two bottles of Cakebread.
I have driven by Cakebread in Napa lots of times, but have never stopped there. I will the next time.

BTW when in Napa a great place to stop for a quick lunch is Dean and Deluca, the deli. You can sit outside under the olive trees and eat your lunch.

Last edited:
Montreal had a large number of "Bring Your Own Wine" places (no corkage fee, and however much wine you drink you don't pay the establishment). One of them that I have been to (a Greek restaurant) gives you water tumblers because "that's what they give you in tavernas in Greece".

I think it's just because stemware is more expensive and fragile than tumblers that they give you those damn tumblers.

Actually, I come from Greek ancestry and sure enough, it's not uncommon for grappa to be served in tumblers over there in Zues's backyard.

Edit: humorous little excerpt here from a wine site that effectively says some Greek wines suck, so you actually Do NOT want the inward curve of a traditional wine glass :D

"Put away your fancy wine glasses and serve it in tumblers, as the tavernas do. The inward curving lip of the standard wine glass is designed to capture fugitive, subtle aromas from delicate wines. Retsina is neither subtle nor delicate."

Last edited:
I love this beer like no other!

Dale's Pale Ale made by Oskar Blues Brewery (Lyons, CO just outside Rocky Mt Nation Park)
images

Being a hopsaholic this beer is my fix, its semi sweet yet dry coupled with the can flavor to be the king of IPA's. Colorado has a ton of great local breweries, and a strong micro-brew fan base, but this is the best in my opinion. Plus the brewery has a music venu built into the lower level so its all win at Oskar Blues.

Actually, I come from Greek ancestry and sure enough, it's not uncommon for grappa to be served in tumblers over there in Zues's backyard.
I won't argue with grappa in tumblers, but wine? I think that the tumbler thing is a holdover from the time when you had to put water into your wine to make it palatable, hence a tumbler was logical.

My exposure to US beers is low, but Anchor Steam Beer is a nice hoppy little number. Very moreish. Yum, basically.

Attachments

• anchor_steam_3.jpg
    anchor_steam_3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 104
I won't argue with grappa in tumblers, but wine? I think that the tumbler thing is a holdover from the time when you had to put water into your wine to make it palatable, hence a tumbler was logical.

Very nice... putting your oenoforensic skills to work I see.

I have beer rarely. Very rarely. It is not really a listening drink. It is more of a hot summer day, Richie and the cricket on the TV (Justin will know what I mean), at the holiday house kind of drink.

I usually go for Coopers Sparkling Ale (from South Australia), but a close second is James Boag's Premium.

Again, US beers are hard to find - If your taste extends beyond Bud and Miller's you'll have a hard time.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 104
  • jb1.jpg
    jb1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Er... give me a link that defines oenoforensic, please Todd, cos I just Googled it and, well...:D Mind you, it is bedtime here zzzzzzzzzzzz.

You don't need a link when you're posting with the source :p

Oenophilia (pronounced /ˌiːnɵˈfɪliə/ EE-no-FIL-ee-ə), originally from Greek, is the love (philia) of wine (oinos). Then a simple bastardization/grafting with "forensic" and there you have it. He who seeks the ultimate truth in all things wine related.... a.k.a. Bernard.

It's probably not the most accurate pretend word to describe this particular situation... but literary license is often plagued with pleasant phonics that diverge from an ideal definition. As such I proudly stand by Oenoforensic and declare it's use (and/or abuse) free and without consequence to all.

The End

My exposure to US beers is low, but Anchor Steam Beer is a nice hoppy little number. Very moreish. Yum, basically.

My gosh... there are so many excellent North American beers it's really impossible to know where to begin. Thousands of great micro-brews, hundreds of excellent national brands... and then there's the swill which will be entirely ignored.

While my absolute favorites hail from Duetschland (Ayinger's excellent Ur-Weiss being #1 among them) the following Imperial Series from Sam Adam's also rates very high on Todd's liver-damage scale of excellence:

White / Double Bock / Stout / Wee Heavy

The White is my personal pick of the litter but all are truly excellent IMO.

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=3e251e6e-cfe0-4ffe-88bd-85da67e9e711

In fact, you'll see that it's so good, at least three states have opted out - presumably for fear of losing control of their population ;)

This is high gravity fuel for the soul! If you can find it and haven't tried it, then do so at your earliest inconvenience.

Attachments

• 112210SA_ImperialWhite.jpg
    112210SA_ImperialWhite.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Oenophilia (pronounced /ˌiːnɵˈfɪliə/ EE-no-FIL-ee-ə), originally from Greek, is the love (philia) of wine (oinos). Then a simple bastardization/grafting with "forensic" and there you have it. He who seeks the ultimate truth in all things wine related.... a.k.a. Bernard.
I'll take that as a compliment, even though there is bastardization involved.

Man, this forum is just full of surprises (for newbies like me anyway).

OK... despite some of my off-color commentary across various posts, I'm actually not really much of a drinker (these days). However, there are a few beers and a few wines that I find remarkable. Here's one of my all-time fav wines (besides MD 20/20 ;)).

This to me is how a fine wine should taste. Perfectly balanced, full bodied, distinct fruity notes, not too sweet, not too dry - zero astringency. I could drink it by the metric-ton, a sip at a time of course.

Cheers (and I mean that literally)

I'll vouch for the Cakebread CabSauv. I was in the wine club for about ten years and stop in when I am in the Napa Valley. My current favorite is the Regusi from the Stags Leap region.

Back