Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How appropriate for this thread to come up today. I just signed a preliminary agreement to purchase a franchised wine bar/store.

The construction industry has gone all to hell here in South Florida so I've been looking for an opportunity. I decided to take it easy and do something fun.

Pretty soon I'll be able to share my expertise with everyone here and give some healthy discounts too!

When is the grand opening? Maybe you can get ML to "loan" you some ML's for the store and that will be another market for them...not only for two ch but also retail sound. hmm...

Ok - here's some seriously nice Gorgonzola bought today from a deli in Tetbury, which is where Prince Charles lives. Really creamy with an amazing taste. I only wish I could show you the cheese it came from - an absolutely massive piece. Incredibly pricey - but possibly the best I have ever had. When it looks like this, pay the price. It is that simple.

Some excellent bread to go with it, too.

Mmmmmmmmmm...:)
That looks amazing, Justin. I hope you have a nice glass of port to go with it.

Does Chuck buy the same stuff ? :D

An oft-forgotten upgrade to your system! Damn I enjoyed my music tonight.

Of course, enjoy wine in moderation. It doesn't need to be alcholic - just something enjoyable like some good cheese, antipasto or whatever else floats your boat!!

Try some of the red South African wines, you will be quite surprised.

Last edited:
When is the grand opening? Maybe you can get ML to "loan" you some ML's for the store and that will be another market for them...not only for two ch but also retail sound. hmm...

Believe it or not, I've actually thought of something like that bringing in a high end system to display and sell off one piece at a time.

If I can make it all happen, opening of my WineStyles store should be early March.

Attachments

• winestyles5.jpg
    winestyles5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 137
  • winestyles2.jpg
    winestyles2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Ok - here's some seriously nice Gorgonzola bought today from a deli in Tetbury, which is where Prince Charles lives. Really creamy with an amazing taste. I only wish I could show you the cheese it came from - an absolutely massive piece. Incredibly pricey - but possibly the best I have ever had. When it looks like this, pay the price. It is that simple.

Some excellent bread to go with it, too.

Mmmmmmmmmm...:)

Hey if I was over there I would do some of my irish soda bread for you. Nice with red wine and a good mature cheese.

Soda bread? Sounds nice... I still have a bit of the cheese left but it will be all gone tomoz...

If I can make it all happen, opening of my WineStyles store should be early March.
Looks great ! I would not mind a holiday there right now. You should also sell cheese, or at the least, have some cheese available for sampling. I find that very often after sampling some innocent-looking cheese I am tempted to drink some wine, and if I'm doing the sampling in a wine shop, what better place to buy some wine.

Bought in Portugal, I can't seem to find it for sale here. Absolutely fantastic stuff, though. If you see it anywhere, buy 12 bottles and send them to me:D An Xmas treat for sure!

EDIT: Actually, turns out Waitrose sell it at £15 a bottle. From now on, at that price, it's the one I'll buy regularly...

Attachments

• port2.jpg
    port2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 118
  • port1.jpg
    port1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Yesterday, while in one of my favoourite food stores (where I always spend too much money), I saw a jar in a 'fridge with something called "Cabrales Cream"; it was from Spain, and was $10.95. I asked the guy in the store what it was; he responded that it was a type of cheese that they started carrying at the request of one of their customers, and that it was eaten with quince paste, which they also carried, for $4.95 a tub. My curiosity was piqued, so I bought the two. The cheese is a sort of greyish paste of the texture of cream cheese, while the quince paste is a dark burgundy. Together they reminded me of the combination of blue cheese and port, though not quite as voluptuous a taste. I enjoyed it.

Bought in Portugal, I can't seem to find it for sale here. Absolutely fantastic stuff, though. If you see it anywhere, buy 12 bottles and send them to me:D An Xmas treat for sure!

EDIT: Actually, turns out Waitrose sell it at £15 a bottle. From now on, at that price, it's the one I'll buy regularly...
Justin, now that you've found it, why don't you buy 12 bottles and send them to me as a belated Christmas treat.

BTW if you come across port made by Burmester (no, I'm not kidding - same name as the German hi-fi company), try some.

Actually they must export it to Canada - so have a look for it. Tis great stuff. Not sure what you'd hve to pay out there, though. And if I bought you twelve bottles you'd make the same mistake as me and post after you had drunk one. Not a good idea!:)

Burmester port, hey? I'll keep my eyes out for it. Does it come in chrome bottles and cost an absolute fortune?:D

For Justin (User211)

Justin,

Here is the picture of the port bottle promised via email. I figured that anyone elso interested should know the exact designation as you said that there are several.

Good luck with finding the superb 1985; I am not parting with my 2 bottles - I plan to open them in 2015....memories of a superb 30-year-old port is compelling me to do so.

Bernard

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 87
"Declared by every major house.

The 1985 Vintage is surely going to be one of the classics. The quality is exceptionally good with a really juicy fullness of fruit that will last and last.

Although starting to drink now , this Vintage really needs a few more years, if not decades, to reach it's full potential.

If you can afford to buy a case or two of Fonseca, Graham, Niepoort or Quinta do Noval they will provide a decent inheritance to pass down to future generations."

Sounds expensive! Brief check online and didn't find any for sale. Ball park figure for a bottle, Bernard?

Thanks, BTW.

Justin,

Here is the picture of the port bottle promised via email. I figured that anyone elso interested should know the exact designation as you said that there are several.

Good luck with finding the superb 1985; I am not parting with my 2 bottles - I plan to open them in 2015....memories of a superb 30-year-old port is compelling me to do so.

Bernard

You're going to have a good year in 2015!

Sounds expensive! Brief check online and didn't find any for sale. Ball park figure for a bottle, Bernard?

Thanks, BTW.
snooth.com (an English site) seems to have it at US$62. I could not get further into the site as you have to be logged in.

I thought it would be more expensive than that.

I thought I would revive this thread as I recently came across a great wine and a great cheese:

WINE: Sancerre, Terre de Maimbray, Pascal et Nicolas Reverdy 2007. A wonderful wine that is very characteristics of Sauvignon Blanc. Wish I had the vocabulary of a true wine connoisseur (maybe even a snob), but I do not; I just know that I loved it. Surprisingly it even beat out my favourite Sancerre (Henri Bourgeois). Sadly unavailable in our government-controlled liquor stores. It was a special import in a restaurant. I did a search on it, and it is available South of the border.

CHEESE: Prestige de Bourgogne, from France. Triple cream - need I say more ? Wonderfully smooth and creamy.

I thought I would revive this thread as I recently came across a great wine and a great cheese:

WINE: Sancerre, Terre de Maimbray, Pascal et Nicolas Reverdy 2007. A wonderful wine that is very characteristics of Sauvignon Blanc. Wish I had the vocabulary of a true wine connoisseur (maybe even a snob), but I do not; I just know that I loved it. Surprisingly it even beat out my favourite Sancerre (Henri Bourgeois). Sadly unavailable in our government-controlled liquor stores. It was a special import in a restaurant. I did a search on it, and it is available South of the border.

CHEESE: Prestige de Bourgogne, from France. Triple cream - need I say more ? Wonderfully smooth and creamy.

Bernard.....from where does this Sauvignon Blanc originate? Savvie is one of my favourite varieties. I particularly like those from Marlborough, and they are particularly nice on a hot summer night!

Last edited:
Back