Just picked up a pair of Odysseys - fulfilling a 25 year goal

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstaneland

Reaction score
Sometime around 1999, in my early 20s, I was beginning to learn about the world of Hi-Fi and was on a trip to Houston with a few friends.

The gear that I remember a couple of these friends owning at the time comprised of a pair of Klipsch speakers, another had a Pioneer Premier integrated receiver and surely other nice gear I’m not able to recall.

What I do remember about their gear is it all looked good, cost more than I was able to afford and sounded much better than whatever I had.

Anyway, on this trip we visited Home Theater Houston. What a place! So many top-shelf brands, some we’d never heard of, all setup as individual rooms of sonic excellence. The high-end customer cars parked out front matched the ambiance inside the store - you just knew everything on offer inside was special.

I remember being drawn to the unfamiliar shapes that were the MartinLogan elecrostats. I don’t remember what model were on display, but I remember these “sheets of clear film” delivering a perfect reproduction of the music as if the roadies were backstage.

I knew then that one day I would have a pair of my own.

Throughout the years following that trip to Houston, at various times I’ve had the money to splurge on a pair for myself, but each time was able to justify a better use of those funds, whether it be a new big screen TV or a jewelry present for my wife or a part for one of my cars.

Ever since that Houston trip, I’ve managed to keep myself with staged improvements of audio gear, exploring the realms of audible possibility determined almost solely by my budget and often injected with moments of luck perusing craigslist and early morning Saturday yard sales.

I’ve owned and currently own various models of speakers offered by Polk, Harman-Kardon, JBL, Bowers & Wilkins, Definitive Technology, Yamaha and maybe a couple others that have come and gone. But never achieved my goal of MLs until now.

One thing that is key to all this, is an understanding and supportive wife. She knows how hard I work and how little I spend on myself. She also knew that I’ve always talked about one day acquiring a pair of these fantastical speakers. For the past few months I’ve been circling the facebook marketplace posts for the right pair of MLs based on model, condition and price. My desired listening environment is music, so decided that the best model for me was Aerius and have seen a few pairs. Along the way I also learned about Odyssey, so I set my sights on finding those. A few weeks ago I found my first local pair of Odysseys and jumped to go see them - unfortunately I was second in line to whomever was ahead of me and they were evidently not supposed to be mine.

Not having seen many Odysseys come up for sale (I know there is almost always a pair on ebay but I wanted to audition them) within a 100 mile radius of my home, I figured it would be another few years before the planets aligned for me again. So imagine my excitement this past Saturday morning, coffee in one hand, scrolling through marketplace with my other, I come across a pair of Odysseys that are advertised as great operating condition but missing the rear grills and missing the floor spikes - which the seller believed were justification for the relatively low asking price. And only 25 minutes drive from me!

“Guess what I just found?” I proudly exclaimed to my wonderful wife sitting across the table from me. “Another car you want to buy?” Nope. “Some land?” Nope. “A boat?” Nope. “Speakers?” YES!!! I just found another pair of Odysseys and they’re only $XXXX.

“Go buy them!”

It’s debatable if there is a better series of words that a husband can hear from his wife than those words in that order. It doesn’t matter what it is or how much, but when you get the approval of the ‘ol ball and chain to go buy it, that moment of heavenly songbird is almost unmatched.

And here they sit, in my listening room, as they are after we first carried them in. Nowhere near being setup, just standing proud. Right now I’m just enjoying looking at them. A 25 year goal has been met. I’m in no rush to set them up. Another few days or even a few weeks as I await a set of spikes is nothing at this point. Seeing them standing there, all 210 lbs of them, makes me happy.

They’re mine and right now that’s all that matters.

Attachments

• MartinLogan Odyssey just arrived 1.jpeg
    MartinLogan Odyssey just arrived 1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • MartinLogan Odyssey just arrived 2.jpeg
    MartinLogan Odyssey just arrived 2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Sometime around 1999, in my early 20s, I was beginning to learn about the world of Hi-Fi and was on a trip to Houston with a few friends.

The gear that I remember a couple of these friends owning at the time comprised of a pair of Klipsch speakers, another had a Pioneer Premier integrated receiver and surely other nice gear I’m not able to recall.

What I do remember about their gear is it all looked good, cost more than I was able to afford and sounded much better than whatever I had.

Anyway, on this trip we visited Home Theater Houston. What a place! So many top-shelf brands, some we’d never heard of, all setup as individual rooms of sonic excellence. The high-end customer cars parked out front matched the ambiance inside the store - you just knew everything on offer inside was special.

I remember being drawn to the unfamiliar shapes that were the MartinLogan elecrostats. I don’t remember what model were on display, but I remember these “sheets of clear film” delivering a perfect reproduction of the music as if the roadies were backstage.

Throughout the years following that trip to Houston, at various times I’ve had the money to splurge on a pair for myself, but each time was able to justify a better use of those funds, whether it be a new big screen TV or a jewelry present for my wife or a part for one of my cars.

Ever since that Houston trip, I’ve managed to keep myself with staged improvements of audio gear, exploring the realms of audible possibility determined almost solely by my budget and often injected with moments of luck perusing craigslist and early morning Saturday yard sales.

I’ve owned and currently own various models of speakers offered by Polk, Harman-Kardon, JBL, Bowers & Wilkins, Definitive Technology, Yamaha and maybe a couple others that have come and gone. But never achieved my goal of MLs until now.

One thing that is key to all this, is an understanding and supportive wife. She knows how hard I work and how little I spend on myself. She also knew that I’ve always talked about one day acquiring a pair of these fantastical speakers. For the past few months I’ve been circling the facebook marketplace posts for the right pair of MLs based on model, condition and price. My desired listening environment is music, so decided that the best model for me was Aerius and have seen a few pairs. Along the way I also learned about Odyssey, so I set my sights on finding those. A few weeks ago I found my first local pair of Odysseys and jumped to go see them - unfortunately I was second in line to whomever was ahead of me and they were evidently not supposed to be mine.

Not having seen many Odysseys come up for sale (I know there is almost always a pair on ebay but I wanted to audition them) within a 100 mile radius of my home, I figured it would be another few years before the planets aligned for me again. So imagine my excitement this past Saturday morning, coffee in one hand, scrolling through marketplace with my other, I come across a pair of Odysseys that are advertised as great operating condition but missing the rear grills and missing the floor spikes - which the seller believed were justification for the relatively low asking price. And only 25 minutes drive from me!

“Guess what I just found?” I proudly exclaimed to my wonderful wife sitting across the table from me. “Another car you want to buy?” Nope. “Some land?” Nope. “A boat?” Nope. “Speakers?” YES!!! I just found another pair of Odysseys and they’re only $XXXX.

“Go buy them!”

It’s debatable if there is a better series of words that a husband can hear from his wife than those words in that order. It doesn’t matter what it is or how much, but when you get the approval of the ‘ol ball and chain to go buy it, that moment of heavenly songbird is almost unmatched.

And here they sit, in my listening room, as they are after we first carried them in. Nowhere near being setup, just standing proud. Right now I’m just enjoying looking at them. A 25 year goal has been met. I’m in no rush to set them up. Another few days or even a few weeks as I await a set of spikes is nothing at this point. Seeing them standing there, all 210 lbs of them, makes me happy.

Congrats. My wife actually found my used Prodigy speakers for me, on an online auction site. Now she kinda regrets finding them, lol! That led to me buying a new amp and other audio equipment. I got bit bad by the audiophile bug. I'm sure glad she found them!
This site has many members that are very smart and know A LOT about these speakers and audio in general. Electrical engineers etc. Welcome.

Last edited:
Congrats. My wife actually found my used Prodigy speakers for me, on an online auction site. Now she kinda regrets finding them, lol! That led to me buying a new amp and other audio equipment. I got bit bad by the audiophile bug. I'm sure glad she found them!
This site has mamy members that are very smart and know A LOT about these speakers and audio in general. Electrical engineers etc. Welcome.
Prodigy, awesome. That’s another keeper wife it sounds like 👍
I’m definitely glad to be in the group. Thanks for the welcome.

Congrats, and welcome to the MLO.

Setup is critical for large dipole line arrays, so try to ensure as symmetrical a deployment as possible, the same distance from sidewalls, the same type of surfaces, etc.
We can provide some recommendations if you tell us more about the room (pics help).

Welcome to the club!!! Great story. I love my Odysseys bought them a year and a half ago from a very reputable dealer in the Chicago burbs, my wife went with me on the 5 hour ride to go look at them from SE Michigan. I bought them and also got a new pair of panels made. They sound fabulous. Question for you do you have the spikes ordered? I recently replaced mine with isoacoustics gaia II isolation feet and I have the spikes not sure if they are factory spikes but they are what was on them. If you haven’t ordered spikes and want these msg me and I’ll ship them down to you as a welcome to the club gift.

I too really rate my Isoacoustic Gaia 1's (with ML 15A's) but they are resting on a hard chipboard/Vinyl voided floor. Maybe with a carpeted floor the obvious advantages are negated somewhat. There was some previous discussion which can be found at MORE Isolation Feet?

“Go buy them!”

Congrats! I’m a former Odyssey owner! I loved my Odyssey’s for several years and only replaced them when I came upon a once in a lifetime deal on a pair of ML CLX Art! I also used the Isoacoustics Gaia 2 feet on my odyssey’s and found they were an improvement to the stability and sound quality! Enjoy your new ML’s!

Back