Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seresin

The Serensin wines are well worth seeking out. I've had a few nice wines from Astrolabe vineyards as well, although the quality has been a little more dependent on vintage.

Yup, Michael Seresin is a Cinematographer who lives in the UK these days but has his holiday house in Marlborough Sounds as well as his vineyard in Marlborough. His vineyard is biodynamic which getting towards the 'fringe' of Eco- vineyards but their attention to detail is superb and they rarely make a bad wine.

My wife and I make an annual pilgrimage for our wedding anniversary to his exclusive dinners out in the Marlborough Sounds where he brings in international chefs like Gordon Ramsay. Of course his wines are served!

I can recommend Seresin's Sauvignon Blanc and Reserve Chardonnay, his Riesling is special too. If you like his Reserve Chardonnay, try Mahi Chardonnay, they have two but their single vineyard Chardonnay is made by Seresin's former winemaker Brian Bricknell, the similar DNA apparent.

Like I said, Seresin's attention to detail ensures consistency whatever the vintage.

Happy tasting

Jeff

Last edited:
Astrolabe

I did a search for Serensin at our wine store site; no luck, but this is what came up for Astrolabe:

1. ASTROLABE VOYAGE PINOT NOIR 2008
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 24.95

2. ASTROLABE VOYAGE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 21.95

Hi Bernard,

Astrolabe is the quintessential Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region, I always have a case of it in the cellar for overseas guests to try.

If you want to try New Zealand's Pinot Noirs, I would look to the Otago region, names such as Felton Road, Amisfield, Chard Farm, Rippon, Peregrine.

2009 and 2010 were good vintages, sadly 2008 had rain issues during harvest and should be avoided unless you can find out if the harvest was completed on time.

My personal take on our reds is that they are pricey and not always good value for money versus say our Australian cousins or even Spain and Italy. Naturally, it comes down to the grape type and/or terroir, if you like Pinot Noir the NZ has an interesting take on it but at a premium price. Hawkes Bay is another region for reds, names like C.J. Pask, Bridge Pa, Te Mata, Black Barn, Matariki.

Salut

Jeff

One of the most curiously, uummm, functional home-brews I had a hand in crafting (this was back in the mid 80s) was a simple pale ale with one critical substitution. The recipe called for Hallertau and we swapped it out for sensimilla. I won't go into the details, but I can absolutely state from first-hand experience that the intended effect did indeed manifest. I think we called it "Ol' Red-Eye". And the taste was quite good as well. We brought some to a somewhat formal Christmas party and my friend's aunt (I'd guess she was in her late 50s at the time) decided she wanted to try one of our "cute little home-made beers". Before we knew what happened she was well into glass. We didn't hang around to see how it turned out, but there's no way she wasn't oddly famished later that evening. No way.

Actually the hop is related to the cannabis plant. I used to drink Fuller's ESB on draught at my brother's local pub years ago. At the time that beer was heavily hopped, but I used to swear colours semed a lot brighter after drinking three... the landlord would serve no more than three to anyone, regardless.

I had a bottle of ESB last night. A pale immitation of the beer on draught many years go.

Weed beer, though. Could be a winner!;) Now.... where's my old homebrew kit...???:D

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I'm big on Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. In general I don't like Chardonnays as I find them too fruity and sometimes hard to digest.

I have enjoyed every Kiwi SB I have tried, with the exception of Kim Crawford.

I used to like Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir (Aussie), but have not seen it in years. I tend to buy the Napa stuff, and the French when I have a few extra francs (love Gevrey-Chambertin).

I do like Shiraz and Cabs too.

Those Serensin dinners must be great. BTW have you guys heard of The Berowra Waters Inn? It's featured in a book that I have, but the book must be 20 years old. Supposedly worth the detour.

Bernard

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I'm big on Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. In general I don't like Chardonnays as I find them too fruity and sometimes hard to digest.

I have enjoyed every Kiwi SB I have tried, with the exception of Kim Crawford.

I used to like Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir (Aussie), but have not seen it in years. I tend to buy the Napa stuff, and the French when I have a few extra francs (love Gevrey-Chambertin).

I do like Shiraz and Cabs too.

Those Serensin dinners must be great. BTW have you guys heard of The Berowra Waters Inn? It's featured in a book that I have, but the book must be 20 years old. Supposedly worth the detour.

Bernard

The Berowra Waters Inn?????? In a book? What book? That is a great restaurant, about 15 minutes from where I used to live in Sydney.

Berowra Waters is a lovely location (spiritual, peaceful and secluded), made special by the fact that the restaurant is water access only.

My wife and I used to go there quite regularly for anniversaries and other special occasions.

Contained herewith, a picture of the restaurant, its jetty and surrounds (Unfortunately at low tide. At high tide the water laps at the pathway).

Attachments

• BWI.jpg
    BWI.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
The Berowra Waters Inn?????? In a book? What book? That is a great restaurant, about 15 minutes from where I used to live in Sydney.
Looks like a great place at which to eat.

It's in a book called "Master Class" by Diane Holuigue; originally published in Australia in 1988. It features a number of chefs (and recipes) from all over the world, the Aussie chefs being Stephanie Alexander, Damien Pignolet, Mogens Bay Esbensen, Gay Bilson, and Iain Hewitson. It's available (used) on amazon.ca for $10.70.

There are some wonderful-looking recipes in there, but I just remembered that all you can do (as you stated in a previous post) is cut the cheese.

A nice Pinot Noir

I had a very nice Burgundy (Pinot Noir) today - René Bouvier "Le Chapitre" 2008, made in Gevrey-Chambertin. It was very smooth; not tannic at all. A good find at $20.

In the liquor store today I saw a sparkler made by Oyster Bay in New Zealand, they in the Marlborough Valley who make one of my favourite Sauvignon Blancs. So I bought a bottle. It does not state what the grape is, but I suspect from the clean taste that it is Sauvignon Blanc, not Chardonnay (which I dislike). Very enjoyable.

BTW any other Jarlsburg cheese lovers here ?

It does not state what the grape is, but I suspect from the clean taste that it is Sauvignon Blanc, not Chardonnay (which I dislike). Very enjoyable.

I'd be surprised if it was without mentioning it. Sparkling is normally Chardonnay or Pinot Noir. If they made a sparkling out of Sauvvie (while not unheard of) then surely they would mention that.

Anyway, I find region has a greater impact than variety in a lot of cases. Marlborough is a great region!

Marlborough Man

In the liquor store today I saw a sparkler made by Oyster Bay in New Zealand, they in the Marlborough Valley who make one of my favourite Sauvignon Blancs. So I bought a bottle. It does not state what the grape is, but I suspect from the clean taste that it is Sauvignon Blanc, not Chardonnay (which I dislike). Very enjoyable.

BTW any other Jarlsburg cheese lovers here ?

Hi Bernard,

Well you may be in for a surprise, 100% Chardonnay grapes
http://www.oysterbaywines.com/our-wines/oyster-bay-cuvee-brut

If this spins your palate ( so to speak), try this
http://www.cloudybay.co.nz/TheWines/Pelorus

It is fabulous and gives the French a run for their money.

A votre Sante

Hi Jeff,

Could have fooled me as the wine does not have the heavy, fruity taste and texture I associate with Chardonnay.

Unfortunately only Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc are available here; Pelorus is not.

This one is for Feltran

I had last night a sparkler I really enjoyed, this one from Iron Horse Vineyards (Green Valley of Russian River Valley in California), Wedding Cuvée 2007. It's not marked explicitly as such (apart from "Blanc de Noirs"), but it's a rosé, and is perhaps the best rosé sparkling wine I have had, even beating out some rosé Champagnes. Try it Feltran.

had some of my 'namesake' wine last nite............. Fat Bastard - Merlot.

Such an epic name
.......its flavour ?...

Have enjoyed the pugilist (Australian Cab Sav) and the Exhibitionist (Aussie Merlot) Both great flavour rich dark complexity.

had some of my 'namesake' wine last nite............. Fat Bastard - Merlot.
Did it have your picture on the label ? :)

I'm not a fan of merlot, but I've had other nice wines (can't remember the varietal) from Fat Bastard.

One that I also like, from Kiwiland, is a Sauvignon Blanc called "Cat's Pee on a Mulberry Bush" (no, I'm not kidding).

I'll stick with my Fat Bastard..........yes Bernard that's me on the label !!

Found another good Marlborough Bernard..........Steely Dan

Attachments

• NV_ClayFork-SteelyDan_SauvBlanc.jpg
    NV_ClayFork-SteelyDan_SauvBlanc.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 211
Turkey Flat

Yesterday I quaffed this Barossa beauty at our holiday house at Shoal Bay. I don't normally go for a straight Shiraz, but this was delicious!

Attachments

• IMAG0427 (452 x 600).jpg
    IMAG0427 (452 x 600).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 198
Back