Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blancs

So how does the Sancerre one compare to the Marlborough ones? I've had plenty of Aussie Sav Blancs too, but they're not a patch on Marlborough....I might try to hunt that one down though Bernard. French wines are not my speciality! [unless it has bubbles].

I too, like Oyster Bay, and also Stoneleigh and The Taniwah (to name a few of about 100!). I've had a few lovely Kim Crawfords too so I'm not sure which one you had! The good Montanas are also not too bad!

Gents, had I known that a few of you like this kind of thing together with hifi and music, I would have jumped in earlier, what a great forum!

Back to NZ Sauvignon Blancs, my short list for you is as follows; Seresin, Astrolabe, Clos Henry, Fairhall Downs 'Hugo' and over in Nelson try Neudorf.

Of course the leading light from the area was Cloudy Bay who also make magic champagne, of course we cannot call it that anymore, it is called 'Pelorus', I used to bring back bottles of the stuff from London, UK when living in Germany.

Anyone here mad about Italian Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino? I have a few favourites to recommend if you are game.

Ciao Jeff

If you like Anchor Steam, try their Liberty Ale. It's even better, one of my favorite IPA's.

Yup - had that and it is nice. I've also had Adam's Coopers ale which makes it over here.

For a summer beer check Hoegaarden. WIth ice & lemon it is sublime. It is a big brewry, so lacks cred for that reason, but it is an amazing drink, I fink.:D

I use Beers Of Europe quite a bit as it keeps me away from the supermarket tripe.

Last edited:
You don't need a link when you're posting with the source :p

Oenophilia (pronounced /ˌiːnɵˈfɪliə/ EE-no-FIL-ee-ə),??? originally from Greek, is the love (philia) of wine (oinos). Then a simple bastardization/grafting with "forensic" and there you have it. He who seeks the ultimate truth in all things wine related.... a.k.a. Bernard.

It's probably not the most accurate pretend word to describe this particular situation... but literary license is often plagued with pleasant phonics that diverge from an ideal definition. As such I proudly stand by Oenoforensic and declare it's use (and/or abuse) free and without consequence to all.

The End

Yup - that's it. If a word makes common use it gets in the dictionary. Keep saying oenoforensic to everyone you meet.:) At least three times each meet...:D

Yup - had that and it is nice. I've also had Adam's Coopers ale which makes it over here.

For a summer beer check Hoegaarden. WIth ice & lemon it is sublime. It is a big brewry, so lacks cred for that reason, but it is an amazing drink, I fink.:D

I use Beers Of Europe quite a bit as it keeps me away from the supermarket tripe.

Oddly enough, Hoegaarden is mainstream over here... I can walk into practically any supermarket here in the Northeast and there it is in the cooler, perched right next to the Corona in the "special Imports" section :rolleyes:

It's one of my fav white beers regardless of the earth's orbital coordinates ;). I couldn't agree more with it's sublimity :D

Short related story... back in the 90s, Peirre Celis of Hoegaarden fame decided to open a brewery state-side. After searching all across the US for the right water chemistry to best match that of his homeland, he settled on Austin TX and built a beautiful brewery. I happened to by in Austin in the late 90s on business and went with a cohort to visit Pierre's new digs. That beer is (or was) the best white beer I've every had. Huge banana and clove notes, just the right touch of corriander, insane drinkability - just amazingly satisfying and delicious! I bought cases of the stuff (had to drive 1.5hrs to Boston to get it as that was the closest distribution point... but it was soooo worth it).

Anywho, the story turns a bit sad (for those of us who loved that beer so much): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celis

Cheers

Attachments

• 20107604.jpg
    20107604.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

A lot of people like it..........but I don't understand. For a start, it is very pungent and distinctive, and tastes a lot like.......well, hoe maybe?

Maybe I'll have to try it again some time. We've got a Belgian Beer Café just across the road from my office.......

I used to drink more Hoegaarden before it became so mainstream, seems like with mass production the flavor has suffered.

As a self declared hopsaholic my next recommendation is.....

Avery Brewing's IPA
avr10_IPA6_600.png

Beer Style: India Pale Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Munich 10L, caramel 120L OG: 1.058
ABV: 6.5% IBUs: 69 Color: Golden

Great beer out of a bottle, and their taproom tours are even better!! (take a cab!)

Back to NZ Sauvignon Blancs, my short list for you is as follows; Seresin, Astrolabe, Clos Henry, Fairhall Downs 'Hugo' and over in Nelson try Neudorf.
I don't remember seeing any of these here, but will look out for them.

Years ago I went through a home brewing phase. Kits tasted vile, so I went hardcore and started brewing using real pale malt, the local microbrewery's yeast (I used to go begging with a sterilised margarine tub), and real hops.

The best beer I have possibly ever drunk is the simplest recipe conceivable. Pale malt, Goldings hops and genuine fresh brewer's yeast. Described by the home brewing book I was following (Graham Wheeler's) as the best beer in the world.

I remember to this day the first pint. I sat on the stairs of my first house and took a swig. I had been extra specially generous with the hops - this beer was probably more bitter than anything you are likely to taste commercially - but it was just phenominal. Gobsmackingly good. I was just amazed.

No brewing sugars, no hop pellets/extract, no artificial sweetneers, no bizarre chemicals. Just awesomeness. And pride in my creation.

Once I'd achieved that, I knew I had beaten the commercial brewers. The local microbrewery's head brewer said I'd never do it - citing the reason as too small a fermenting vessel. That brewery was called Smiles. I smiled when I knew I had beaten them.:)

Jim - I did brew an awful lot of other recipes, but what amazed me more than anything was when it boiled down to it, the simplest was the best.

I was really impressed with Rodney Strong's offerings when we went for a visit to the valleys this past December. The two bottles in the picture, Rockaway and Brothers Ridge, were the two best cabs we tasted the entire trip.

Attachments

• wine1.jpg
    wine1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 76
Jim - I did brew an awful lot of other recipes, but what amazed me more than anything was when it boiled down to it, the simplest was the best.

One of the most curiously, uummm, functional home-brews I had a hand in crafting (this was back in the mid 80s) was a simple pale ale with one critical substitution. The recipe called for Hallertau and we swapped it out for sensimilla. I won't go into the details, but I can absolutely state from first-hand experience that the intended effect did indeed manifest. I think we called it "Ol' Red-Eye". And the taste was quite good as well. We brought some to a somewhat formal Christmas party and my friend's aunt (I'd guess she was in her late 50s at the time) decided she wanted to try one of our "cute little home-made beers". Before we knew what happened she was well into glass. We didn't hang around to see how it turned out, but there's no way she wasn't oddly famished later that evening. No way.

I don't remember seeing any of these here, but will look out for them.

The Serensin wines are well worth seeking out. I've had a few nice wines from Astrolabe vineyards as well, although the quality has been a little more dependent on vintage.

The Serensin wines are well worth seeking out. I've had a few nice wines from Astrolabe vineyards as well, although the quality has been a little more dependent on vintage.
I did a search for Serensin at our wine store site; no luck, but this is what came up for Astrolabe:

1. ASTROLABE VOYAGE PINOT NOIR 2008
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 24.95

2. ASTROLABE VOYAGE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 21.95

I did a search for Serensin at our wine store site; no luck, but this is what came up for Astrolabe:

1. ASTROLABE VOYAGE PINOT NOIR 2008
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 24.95

2. ASTROLABE VOYAGE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009
New Zealand | Astrolabe
750 mL | $ 21.95

I've recently quaffed a bottle of the '09 savvie........very nice!

I've recently quaffed a bottle of the '09 savvie........very nice!

speaking of 'quaffing' not only did I 'quaf' but damn near 'cackled' after I treated the wife to a fine dinner and a bottle of.............

Attachments

• nightTrainNThunderbird[1].jpg
    nightTrainNThunderbird[1].jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 133
^^now thats funny.

One of the most curiously, uummm, functional home-brews I had a hand in crafting (this was back in the mid 80s) was a simple pale ale with one critical substitution. The recipe called for Hallertau and we swapped it out for sensimilla. I won't go into the details, but I can absolutely state from first-hand experience that the intended effect did indeed manifest. I think we called it "Ol' Red-Eye". And the taste was quite good as well. We brought some to a somewhat formal Christmas party and my friend's aunt (I'd guess she was in her late 50s at the time) decided she wanted to try one of our "cute little home-made beers". Before we knew what happened she was well into glass. We didn't hang around to see how it turned out, but there's no way she wasn't oddly famished later that evening. No way.

Very interesting! We are in the process of doing that same thing right now, except we are using an indica vs sativa. Since I am MMJ card holder I asked a brewing friend for some help with this, we settled on an IPA with 5oz of Sour Diesel trim. Still waiting on the results, but I am excited. Still not sure about the name, but the distinct smell of SD along with the hoppy IPA flavor seems like a winner in theory. I will report back.

Very interesting! We are in the process of doing that same thing right now, except we are using an indica vs sativa. Since I am MMJ card holder I asked a brewing friend for some help with this, we settled on an IPA with 5oz of Sour Diesel trim. Still waiting on the results, but I am excited. Still not sure about the name, but the distinct smell of SD along with the hoppy IPA flavor seems like a winner in theory. I will report back.
Need a name? Since you are using Sour Diesel why not call it "Train Wreck". :p

Last edited:
Good idea, Bernard, but there is also a strain called Train Wreck so that might be confusing on the ingredients.

I find the combo of Indian Pale Ale + Sour Diesel to be a hard to come up with a name not cheesy.
Some ideas...
Diesel Pale Ale
Indian Sour Ale
FUBAR

Back