Why no Parasound amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always, all responses to this post were excellent and I appreciate all the opinions on Parasound products. I have never heard them paired with Logans, but Have had time with them with Dynamic woofer speakers. Heck, my neighbor uses an A21/A51 in his set up and thinks there is nothing you can buy better unless you spend over 10K over the A21.
I decided to go out on a limb and grab two Classe CA-201s. I've posted elsewhere about the first one to arrive. I'll have to wait to do a thorough review once I receive the next one, as the first one arrived with problems and even though I resolved the issue temporarily, I felt it was best to send it to Classe to have it repaired by the professionals. The second one should arrive Friday or Monday. For the limited time the first one was running properly, I was overly impressed. If SS amps can sound "tube like" This one does it. But not laid back in the sense it lost detail. Far from it. But it had a sweetness about the mids that sounded beautiful. High current really helps these logans. I do mate the Classe's with a tube DAC and SS 2Ch Pre, so that could have something to do with the overall synergy it had in the system.
I truly am excited to be able to sit back and enjoy the second one until I receive them both in house again and I can compare bi-amping them at 400WPC Vs Bridging them at 1200WPC per speaker. More control vs. Major Headroom...should be a lot of fun figuring out which will be better. I'll be inviting Eknuds down to do the comparisons once both amps are in house.

Thought I'd dig up this old thread. I see a lot of folks on here have the A21. I'm considering the smaller A23, but I'm not sure if it fits what I'm looking for. Currently I have Motion 40s, which the A23 should drive with ease but I'd like to get an amp I can step up to a pair of Ethos' in the future. Would the A23 be sufficient power for those? I think the powered subs in those speakers should reduce the amount of power you'd need, but I'm not quite sure.

Mike, while I can't comment directly to your questions on the A21/23 pieces I can only 'assume' they would be fine. This is based on a recent audition of a friends new Maggie 3.7's being driven by the JC-1 MonoBlocks. I came away from that audition in firm belief that they are 'THE' mono block (SS) bargain amps on the planet. I am quite tempted to abandon my merry-go-round of my Plinius and Rogue amps for a pair, they are that good !

Mike, while I can't comment directly to your questions on the A21/23 pieces I can only 'assume' they would be fine. This is based on a recent audition of a friends new Maggie 3.7's being driven by the JC-1 MonoBlocks. I came away from that audition in firm belief that they are 'THE' mono block (SS) bargain amps on the planet. I am quite tempted to abandon my merry-go-round of my Plinius and Rogue amps for a pair, they are that good !

Yeah, those JC1s make like 1200W at 2 ohms. The A23 is only 225W 4 ohms, so my concern is how the smaller amp behaves when the stats dip to 2 ohm.

Yeah, those JC1s make like 1200W at 2 ohms. The A23 is only 225W 4 ohms, so my concern is how the smaller amp behaves when the stats dip to 2 ohm.

given the freq range at which the dip occurs and the lack of any real music content there, myself, I wouldn't worry.

So what's stopping you Dave?

truthfully Bernard, I've reached that stage where spending more $$ on my audio gear really doesn't interest me, it's not like a couple of grand is going to improve upon what I've got. So the money spent to 'hear' any improvement I'd rather spend elsewhere ……………. can you say a new shotgun :D

BUT, can you live without tubes?

with the right gear, yes, I'd venture to say anybody can !

I'll also endorse Parasound for my elaborate setup
- Halo A31 for my Stage (center) and Fresco I (rears)
- Halo A23 for separate 2 channel Passage - special solution for wife's kitchen/dining room
- 2125 to drive outdoor speakers. JBL Control 30 Professional cone speakers. 59 lbs each which pack a punch
My primary Amps for Summits are Jeff Rowland 201 which make them sing marvelously. I have upgradeitis and may swap for Sanders someday.
And yes, everything but the Summits and JR amps are new in unopened boxes waiting for my dream home to be built in 2014 with completion in early 2015.
My purchases were based on research at multiple sites and I'm confident my ears will be pleased.
Nuts, I'm sure.

given the freq range at which the dip occurs and the lack of any real music content there, myself, I wouldn't worry.

See, thats interesting. So that begs the question. Is 200W enough power for the big Stats? I know it'll drive my Motion's pretty easy.

I'd love to check out some tubes, but I'm not sure my budget / music tastes will allow for them.

I had the A21 in my system a few years back before going to the JC1s. Based on what I've heard since I've gotten the JC1s, I'd have to go well above $15K to make the upgrade worthwhile. I loved the A21, but the JC1s are hall of fame performers. There is a reason why Parasound still has them in their lineup since 2002 and they still sell very well. A stone cold bargain.

Well I guess that settles it then. A23 it is. My intention was to eventually move my Motions into an office / library at some point anyways.

Anybody in the Houston area know where I can listen to one of these? All the reviews are great, but I'd like to hear it first.

Well I guess that settles it then. A23 it is. My intention was to eventually move my Motions into an office / library at some point anyways.

Anybody in the Houston area know where I can listen to one of these? All the reviews are great, but I'd like to hear it first.
Hi Mike,

I picked up an A23 a couple of months back to drive the midrange drivers in a pair of active mains. It's a nice, seemingly well-built amp that does what it should and nothing it shouldn't.

Hi Mike,

I picked up an A23 a couple of months back to drive the midrange drivers in a pair of active mains. It's a nice, seemingly well-built amp that does what it should and nothing it shouldn't.

Excellent, thanks a lot. I think it'll drive my Motion 40s beautifully.

Excellent, thanks a lot. I think it'll drive my Motion 40s beautifully.
225W into a 4 ohm, 92dB load should be more than adequate.

If you're not in a huge hurry and are willing to take a demo-unit with full warranty @ substantial discount, you should reach out to Audio Advisor - the only e-tailer authorized to sell demos anywhere in the country. They don't always have them, but told me they get them routinely. I had to wait all of a week, but that may have been a very lucky buy.

225W into a 4 ohm, 92dB load should be more than adequate.

If you're not in a huge hurry and are willing to take a demo-unit with full warranty @ substantial discount, you should reach out to Audio Advisor - the only e-tailer authorized to sell demos anywhere in the country. They don't always have them, but told me they get them routinely. I had to wait all of a week, but that may have been a very lucky buy.

Interesting. What did it end up costing as a demo, if you don't mind me asking?

Back