Why no Parasound amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamo

Reaction score
Hey guys, A while back I almost ordered twin A21s to power my MLs and later decided against it once I found this forum. Many advocates of some other great amps, but not really for these amps. Has anyone had any experience with them paired with MLs and just found that they don't make the Logans reach their full potential?

Didn't you read the conditions for joining - only Pass, Classé, Plinius and a handful of others are allowed.......sorry.

Seriously - it's all a personal choice - I believe ML have used Parasound themselves to demonstrate their product. Listen and make your own decision.

LOL, darn it..I knew I forgot to check my amp choice in my membership questionaire!

Hey Adamo,

Parasound amps mate very well with Logans.. Especially the JC1 monoblocks... I almost pulled the trigger on a pair, but went with the Pass X250 instead.

Tom.

I agree with the other posts. I think it is more coincidence that we don't have any Parasound users on this forum than any particular mismatch with the Logans. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I have heard from time to time that they are a good match with the Logans. There are just so many great amps out there that it is hard to cover all the bases in a forum like this. I think there are a lot of great tube amps out there that get short shrift on this forum, too, just because there isn't anyone on here that has a lot of experience with them. VAC is a prime example.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. From your posts I can take that it isn't that Parasounds amps aren't a good fit, it's just that there aren't many of us on the forum using them. I used to own a A52 for HT duty and replaced it with a XPA-5 emotiva that had a better synergy in the system, but that was when I was using infinity IL 60s and not Martin Logans. The A21s are supposed to be a cut above, just as the newer XPA-2s are supposed to be better than their 5 ch. counter parts. I have two XPA-2s on Pre-order but they are still at least 45 days away from delivery. I may purchase an A21 and see how it sounds with the Logans. If all else fails, I could put it up on Agon or give it back if it doesn't cut the mustard.

I have two XPA-2s on Pre-order but they are still at least 45 days away from delivery. I may purchase an A21 and see how it sounds with the Logans. If all else fails, I could put it up on Agon or give it back if it doesn't cut the mustard.
Assuming you are buying from a dealer and not by mail order, the dealer may well be able to loan you something instead of you buying the A21, until you get the amps you ordered.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. From your posts I can take that it isn't that Parasounds amps aren't a good fit, it's just that there aren't many of us on the forum using them.
Sorry I am late to the party...

I used a Parasound HCA-2200 on my Sequel II's and I now use a Parasound HCA-1000 on my ML center channel. The HCA series are very nice amps and like all amps have a sound of their own. I have not heard any of the newer models to comment on them - sorry. The A21 looks like the replacement for the 2200 spec wise, and if so, the amp does run a little warm due to the biasing, so be aware of that when thinking about where to place it in your setup.

I am very happy with the performance and sound of the 2200 and 1000. They occasionally come up for sale at a pretty good price on the 'Gon if you are patient enough.

Good morning Adamo,

I am sure if you went back to about SEPT 07, you would find posts where I was also asking about Parasound Amps (two and multi-channel). I had established a list of desirable amps and was trying to read the vibe of the forum. I virtually received zero endorsements for Parasound; and I honestly think it is due to very few in the club.
With the lack of information from fellow ML users, I also pulled the trigger with a Pass Labs X-250. I have no regrets, but if you buy a Parasound please let us know how you like it.

Lee

If I recall correctly when we demoed the Summits at the Martin Logan factory last year it was driven with Parasound amps. I thought they sounded great. I cannot recall what model they were.

Thanks again guys. One of the attributes I love about this forum is the helpful demeanor you all display. Kruppy- that was above and beyond the call my friend. I appreciate you digging up those posts. I am still on the fence, as I have another 45 days to decide whether to go through with the Emo XPA-2 purchases or not. I'm going to be doing some research and maybe even see if I can audition one over a weekend from a local dealer.

Adamo,

I use the A21, and A51 amps. They are a good match with the Summits, class A/AB at 250 watts per channel. All I can say is they'll give you the most bang for your bucks. While I have not auditioned any other amp, I'm trying some tube amps for curiosity. I'll post my impressions once I get one.

Rudy

Thanks again guys. One of the attributes I love about this forum is the helpful demeanor you all display. Kruppy- that was above and beyond the call my friend. I appreciate you digging up those posts. I am still on the fence, as I have another 45 days to decide whether to go through with the Emo XPA-2 purchases or not. I'm going to be doing some research and maybe even see if I can audition one over a weekend from a local dealer.

No problem. I happend to remember that there were a few people with Halo equipment and did a quick search. You might want to pm those guys for their experience, however, your doing the right thing by auditioning components yourself.

Bob

I use the A21 for my Vantages. If you are considering trying two of them as monoblocks, keep in mind that Parasound does not recommend doing this for speakers of less than 8ohms.

If I recall correctly, I remember reading that ML had demoed a pair of its speakers awhile back (don't remember which model) using the JC1s. Having had the A21 for a year now, based on this experience, I will be trying the JC1s when the budget allows!

I don't think there's anything wrong with Parasound products. When I was looking at Rotel, I took a long look at the A21 vs RB1090.... I ultimately decided on the 1090, but I think I would've still been content with the A21.

As an aside, when I went to my high end dealer and heard Wilson speakers (WP7 and Sophia) for the first time, he used JC1s.... if that's any indication of the quality of that amp and the hi-end speakers that people mate them with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Parasound products. When I was looking at Rotel, I took a long look at the A21 vs RB1090.... I ultimately decided on the 1090, but I think I would've still been content with the A21.
And that is what makes this hobby so great, as I would have picked the Parasound over the Rotel. As one can see try to audition and pick the sound you like best.

Hi- currently use the parasound A-21 amp with a B&K preamp that drives my ML- Quests. Excellent. This amp compares with the pass X-250 stereo version and I heard them with these speakers side by side and although the pass beats it out, for the money the halo A21 is a great bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Back