Why do Martin Logans have such Lousy resale value and interest?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your ad needs some help frankly it is just terrible.
1) you need some better pics of your speakers
2) you need to get the other speakers out of the pic and do not mention them.
3) your ad is cold and has a matter of fact attitude.you need to convey how good these speakers are and how happy the new buyer will be when they buy them. just refering to reviews is not enough to convince someone on the fence.
4)you need to convey to the buyer that you will do everything that you can to help them with the purchase.

remember just because you are selling something on the cheap it does not meen that you will not need to put in some selling effort to get them to move.one of the reasons MSS HIFI does so well is that he puts a sense of urgency in his adds and tries to make you feel that if you do not move right away you will miss out! people get sucked into this sometimes.I really think if you get some better pics and re word your add so that you come across more as one audiophile who loves his speakers you may have better luck. price is not everything maybe you should ad some kind of extra service or accommodation and actually raise the price sometimes people are Leary to buy the cheapest on the list.

anyway I hope some of this helps it comes from years of selling experience.

Fish_man is Right! Presentation is most important. Here are the pics of a PC I sold in just a couple of days for almost what I was asking for on Audiogon. Like they say, a good picture can speak thousands of words. Also having a long list of positive feedback helps. :cool:

1250258135.jpg

1250258136.jpg

1250258137.jpg

If I were to present my MLs for sell this is how I would do it... but these are keepers for a very LONG time! :music:

ML001.jpg

ML002.jpg

ML003.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to present my MLs for sell this is how I would do it... but these are keeps for a very LONG time! :music:

that's what I am talking about! remember people these guys have to convince the wife to let them spend the money as sorry as that sounds so just imagine him showing the ad to his wife she needs to feel as though he or she is getting something for their money not just somebody else's junk:eek: try to generate desire and you will make a sale.

one more thing you should include a pic of yourself next to your speakers this shows who you are and that you are not afraid to be viewed by the public this will go a long way with trust in my opinion.

BTW I hate you audioseduction for owning those !

Last edited:
If I were to present my MLs for sell this is how I would do it... but these are keeps for a very LONG time! :music:

that's what I am talking about! remember people these guys have to convince the wife to let them spend the money as sorry as that sounds so just imagine him showing the ad to his wife she needs to feel as though he or she is getting something for their money not just somebody else's junk:eek: try to generate desire and you will make a sale.

one more thing you should include a pic of yourself next to your speakers this shows who you are and that you are not afraid to be viewed by the public this will go a long way with trust in my opinion.

BTW I hate you audioseduction for owning those !

Good tips from all of you. I will try some better pics in a different
room where the lighting is better. Maybe i'll even include a pic
of me in a loincloth or thong. Thanks for the comments...i
do appreciate it! By the way George, what kind of amp are you
pushing your Logans with ?

ahh, my bad...the guy that bought the black ash pair from MSS HI FI
after 3 days of posting was the same guy who made an offer to me at $4600.
Said he was buying for a client in Argentina. I thought it
was a scam, since he initially asked me to ship COD. He later
said he would send company check, but I just ignored him. Just
told me he paid by credit card with MSS.

Last edited:
How much weight does NIB and warranty still left carry?
I have a couple of ML's still in the box still under warranty.

How much weight does NIB and warranty still left carry?
I have a couple of ML's still in the box still under warranty.

guess what if you sell them they have no more warrenty

Thanks FISH_MAN. I thought the warranty carried over. I guess I guessed wrong.
Great looking system by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks FISH_MAN. I thought the warranty carried over. I guess I guessed wrong.
Great looking system by the way.
thanks. the only way they may still have a warranty is if you provided the store name and recipe (which I have never been asked to provide to logan in the past) and they had not been registered yet buy you they may get away with a warrenty but I WOULD THINK THAT TRYING TO DECEIVE THE MANUFACTURE WOULD NOT BE A PRUDENT THING TO DO.

Finally got a chance to home audition the Sim I7. What a nice, smooth
sounding amp. It did tame some of the edginess on the Spires and
sounded great with the Montanas. I heard a little more detail
on some recordings. I had to crank the volume up around 45 - 50
to get normal volume, though. Volume settings are from 0 -80.
I didn't play real loud, but instead of volume settings of 0 - 80,
why doesn't Sim skip 0 - 30 since it barely registers on your
speakers.

Now a question....if you could get
an I7 integrated or Sim separates P5.3 pre and W5.3 amp, which
would you buy if sound was your only criteria? The P5.3 and W5.3
are part of the moon series, not the moon evolution. They do
retail for more than the I7.

Edginess in the Spires or elsewhere?

If I recall correctly from another thread, you were considering a "tube buffer" to address the alleged Spire sonic anamoly.

GG

Last edited:
Edginess in the Spires or elsewhere?

If I recall correctly from another thread, you were considering a "tube buffer" to address the alleged Spire sonic anamoly.

GG

Alleged edginess...like you know what i'm hearing G. Gray,
but to answer your question:

Was considering the tube buffer, but thought i should try a
more expensive amp before giving up on the Spires. The Sim
is definitely smoother than my Musical Fidelity A5 and it
helped quite a bit with the Spires. The MF might have a little
more jump factor but voices sound so good with the Sim and
it really picks up the fine details.

Finally got a chance to home audition the Sim I7. What a nice, smooth
sounding amp. It did tame some of the edginess on the Spires and
sounded great with the Montanas. I heard a little more detail
on some recordings. I had to crank the volume up around 45 - 50
to get normal volume, though. Volume settings are from 0 -80.
I didn't play real loud, but instead of volume settings of 0 - 80,
why doesn't Sim skip 0 - 30 since it barely registers on your
speakers.

Now a question....if you could get
an I7 integrated or Sim separates P5.3 pre and W5.3 amp, which
would you buy if sound was your only criteria? The P5.3 and W5.3
are part of the moon series, not the moon evolution. They do
retail for more than the I7.

Hi Mantana,

I recall having a similar conversation 3-4 months ago. I own the Spires, and they are not fully broken in. Since I bought them, I have not had a single "analytical" listening session. It has been listening with full emotional engagement every time.

I don't hear any edginess, but my CJ 350 SS amp produces a lot of power - I would recommend the same for you. I have not heard the sim models you are referring to. Why are you so set on Sim btw? Try an SS amp with a lot of power and a warmer sonic signature such as CJ 250 (hybrid actually), CJ 350 (if you can find one), or the bigger powered Pass amps.

I think if you can find the right amp, you may find yourself where I am at - just enjoying the music.

Good Luck

Hi Mantana,

I recall having a similar conversation 3-4 months ago. I own the Spires, and they are not fully broken in. Since I bought them, I have not had a single "analytical" listening session. It has been listening with full emotional engagement every time.

I don't hear any edginess, but my CJ 350 SS amp produces a lot of power - I would recommend the same for you. I have not heard the sim models you are referring to. Why are you so set on Sim btw? Try an SS amp with a lot of power and a warmer sonic signature such as CJ 250 (hybrid actually), CJ 350 (if you can find one), or the bigger powered Pass amps.

I think if you can find the right amp, you may find yourself where I am at - just enjoying the music.

Good Luck

I hear you Matzman. I am a little concerned with the power of
the Sim in my fairly large room. I don't normally listen at high
volume levels and i think the Sim would work ok, but i noticed
on one song, the bass seemed to be overdriven, whereas no
problem with my 250 watt MF. This Sim experience opened my
eyes to trying different amps. The MF has muscle, but it
appears it's not the most refined. One thing i did like with
the Sim was i could operate both the amp and my MF A5 CD
with the Sim remote. Wasn't expecting that....

............. I have not had a single "analytical" listening session. It has been listening with full emotional engagement every time.........
For some reason I have completely stopped listening analytically, and just enjoy the music. Is this heresy on this site?

For some reason I have completely stopped listening analytically, and just enjoy the music. Is this heresy on this site?

Nope--it means that you've reached audio Valhalla, er, Nirvana (at least for now)! Be happy and enjoy it (until Upgraditis kicks in again)! :) :music:

Back