What Speakers Do You Rate As Better Than Martin Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Steve! Glad to have an unbiased responder! They throw out a BEAUTIFUL sound and stage, even in my less than optimal room and electronics! Just amazing! Worth 2X the money I paid for them I assure you!

Yeah, I know, you got the deal of the century on those!

What I was commenting on was your talking in a circle...

Right. I don't see it. In fact, I thought I made myself quite clear, actually. :D Since this is obviously going nowhere (talking in circles.. get it? :p).. it's time to stop thread camping and let the boys get back to the discussion!

Yeah, I know, you got the deal of the century on those!

Damn right!!! Didn't even have to pay for any shipping! A friend flew his A36 out and picked them up for me! YEE HA! I was all over those the minute they showed up on A'gon! Seriously they had not even been listed for an hour when I shot the email off to the owner! Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut (one of my fathers sayings)! LOL!

The only reason....

I'd stray from ML would be to gain a wider listening area. Since I'm only interested in 2 channel for serious listening, this becomes a problem when more than one person wants to listen at the same time. We have whats called "the magic chair" where the sweet spot is....where when you sit still...new listeners roll their eyes, tear up, gawk, etc. I'm not sure how far up the ML ladder one needs to go to gain a sofa sized sweet spot....but that for me is the only limitation I've found so far.

I'd stray from ML would be to gain a wider listening area. Since I'm only interested in 2 channel for serious listening, this becomes a problem when more than one person wants to listen at the same time. We have whats called "the magic chair" where the sweet spot is....where when you sit still...new listeners roll their eyes, tear up, gawk, etc. I'm not sure how far up the ML ladder one needs to go to gain a sofa sized sweet spot....but that for me is the only limitation I've found so far.

I hate to say it, but you gotta go to the CLX to get a three person speaker...

I would go back to the dynamic speakers I was using before I made the jump to ML. They have their faults but they image better than my Prodigies and have provided me with quite a few "raise the hair on the back of your neck" moments with the right music.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 323
If your Prodigy are in the same location as these speakers are shown with that TV in the middle that is your problem with imaging. I have the same set up and almost 2 years ago now I went to the 70 Sony TV and there were a few days where I had the full Audio system up and running but no TV between the speakers... NIGHT AND DAY!! It was AMAZING! Then the TV came and the sound stage went to hell in a hand basket, but it is what it is!

So, move that TV and then try your Prodigy again! I suspect with only the slightest bit of tweaking you will hear a HUGE difference!

As was pointed out "it is what it is." There is zero chance of relocating the TV, but the blanket as a test might prove interesting. If that improves things then something in the flavor of broadband absorbers behind the Prodigies may well be in order. Thanks for the idea(s) guys!

ihpcope,

I agree...same problem here, just saying a speaker like an ML (Bipole...or is it Dipole...I can't keep them straight) are VERY different from a point source speaker like you have show... In a best case the ML will probably out perform the other in staging, but in the current deployment maybe not. That is all I was saying. I have EXACTLY the same problem and it was just VERY interesting to compare and contrast the sound quality when the TV was gone!

If you ever get a chance to move the TV and listen to some of your favorite music DO IT! You will be amazed and surprised.

Best always!

I'm sorry, I didn't post an appropriate picture. Those are dipoles in the mid-range. See below.
BTW, the 928 is one of my favorite cars. I had a 87 S4 and still kick myself for selling it.
I did try the blanket, with modest results at best. I then tried putting some 4" poly pillow pads on the side of the TV and that gave better results. So I guess I will be looking for spouse friendly broadband absorbers to go next to the TV.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 258
I hate to say it, but you gotta go to the CLX to get a three person speaker...

I'll second that one - they are much better off-axis than any of the rest of the ESL line. Doesn't take long to assert that one - at least, seemd very true in the huge room I heard 'em in.

You are right, those are my design and construction. The woofer section is a JBL 15" in a TL alignment, 145" folded pipe with 8 cu. ft. volume. The mid is 6 Vifa 5.25"s, dipolar. And the tweeter is one of the big Aurum Cantus ribbons with a HiVi planer magnetic running bypolar. The whole thing was tri-amped with electronic xovers.

The other night we were listening to my wife's music on the Prodigies when she said, "You know your speakers sounded like we were there, but these just sound like speakers." That being a high compliment comming from my wife who did not care for the size of my speakers.

The problem with them was if the music's power density got high, think Phil Specter's wall of sound, the IM distortion on the Vifas got unbearable, even with power inputs of well under one watt per driver. But on acoustic or small Jazz groups the were pretty unbelievable.

The ESL panels on the Prodigies do not suffer from this problem. I just have to get the imageing straightened out.

The ESL panels on the Prodigies do not suffer from this problem. I just have to get the imaging straightened out.

First, very cool DIY speakers, I'm going to do some TL based work in the near future myself.

As for ESL imaging, we can chat, but your best bet is to plan a trip to North Atlanta and see/hear my system and we can talk about the various ways to improve the imaging, power output, and since you're on that wavelength, active crossovers.

Just PM me if interested.

If your Prodigy are in the same location as these speakers are shown with that TV in the middle that is your problem with imaging. I have the same set up and almost 2 years ago now I went to the 70 Sony TV and there were a few days where I had the full Audio system up and running but no TV between the speakers... NIGHT AND DAY!! It was AMAZING! Then the TV came and the sound stage went to hell in a hand basket, but it is what it is!

So, move that TV and then try your Prodigy again! I suspect with only the slightest bit of tweaking you will hear a HUGE difference!

There are more than a few folks who have discovered that it's very difficult to listen to music on a HT system and have set up a separate 2-channel system in another room.

Altecs????

Yes, A7-500s. When the speaker can do a 500 seat theater distortion in your house is negligable. ;) I've also used Altec A5s, Model Nineteens, 9844s and 605s and also various JBL, EV, McCauley and Edgar horns, some "real" Klipsches too. IMO the only speakers that match good horns are ESs, thus my turn to MLs. I've little liking for the cone-dome and planar magnetic things.

Last edited:
Yes, A7-500s. When the speaker can do a 500 seat theater distortion in your house is negligable. ;) I've also used Altec A5s, Model Nineteens, 9844s and 605s and also various JBL, EV, McCauley and Edgar horns, some "real" Klipsches too. IMO the only speakers that match good horns are ESs, thus my turn to MLs. I've little liking for the cone-dome and planar magnetic things.

Kewl!!!!!!!!!!

Back