In Defense of Beats by Dr Dre & The Future of Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topofroc

Reaction score
So I spent the bulk of today at an industrial design conference in Boston. While I was there, I saw a compelling presentation from Rob Brunner, founder of the Ammunition Design, the firm that's behind the Beats by Dre headphones. As a self proclaimed "audio nerd", I was very interested in hearing what he had to say about sound and the sound quality of Beats products. A quick survey of most audiophile and hifi websites will reveal that the Beats headphones are soundly looked down upon, almost to Bose-like levels. They are referred to as bass-hyped, distorted, and overpriced.

So what did one of the masterminds behind Beats by Dr Dre have to say under all of this withering criticism?

Well, the first part of his response was predictable. He said "We don't care what audiophiles think.".
The second part of his response was very telling, and should be of interest to all those on this site, and the audiophile community in general.

"We produce headphones that replicate how (young) people experience music. The slam of bass in the clubs..."

I found that statement very revealing and insightful. Most teenagers/20/30 somethings experience music in a danceclub or party setting. A DJ is playing the music (not a live band) through a huge sound system. That's when they are most engaged with the music they love. That's where their emotional ties to the music are formed and that's what they remember. The time the spend listening to iPhones/iPods and Spotify is their attempt to recall their "live" experience. Like looking at a photo to remember a great time with friends.

The measure of good sound quality for many audiophiles is to replicate a live performance. Live performance being defined for us as a live band playing on stage. This is because that's how WE became engaged with the music we love. At a concert or a show. We design our systems to recreate that "live" feeling.

Most young people don't emotionally engage with music that way anymore. They experience it through two "turntables" in a club/party setting. By that measure (GULP), I would assert that Beats by Dr Dre headphones are/should be the best measure of sound quality. They best replicate the initial experience that made these listeners fall in love with the music.

If this is the case, what does or should this mean for the future of audiophile gear?
Should the design direction of the products we love (like Martin Logan) change to accommodate this generation's definition of "sound quality"?
Why shouldn't it?
And what does all this mean for old/not-so-old farts like us?

As a community of likeminded audio nerds whose opinions I value, I'm eager to hear your responses...

Yes - very significant bit of insight there.

1. I'm not an old fart though, and;

2. I still like to hear music reproduced properly to a proper reference point (being live, unamplified music)

3. He's very right - live music is what led me to being an audiophile, and is likely what other young people are trying to achieve as well, and finally;

4. What you have said here is more significant from the music side of things - that is what we all know - where music is headed is very sad and worrying.

I truly hope that diversity will show here. There is lots of room for all the types of music that requires a20-20k range with good dynamics as well as loud rhythmic music with limited band width.

I do not like the latter but that is ok.

When I go to piano recitals att he Kennedy center for the younger pianists I note a number of people who are 3-4 decades younger than I .that is good.

I am not so optimistic about Opera however. At the Kennedy center I seem to among people who are my age and older.

At jazz fest last year there was a clear mix of generations.

However it is probably true that this nation is trending towards cultural illiteracy with respect to music, literature, and art.

J

However it is probably true that this nation is trending towards cultural illiteracy with respect to music, literature, and art.

J

Yep - its a shame and its happening here too.

That said - maybe a lot of it has to do with what the record companies are pushing onto people.

Maybe when they finally meet their demise and slip off into irrelevance things might change - it will again be about the musician making music and distributing to their fans rather than the record companies manufacturing "popularity" with their computers and flooding the market.

I agree to some extent. When I turned 21 it was 1991 and house and techno was all the rage. And for a long time I had my Pioneer system with 15” in speakers going boom, boom…boom. After about 15 years of this I saw the light. I had an Oh $h&t moment when I listened to what I would call a mid-fi system and Alison Krauss. That took me on a different path. I yearned for detail and a good sound stage in my music, and over the years I have never looked back.

All I can say is to each his own. If you want bass slam and live club music, go for it. If you want to listen to a faithful reproduction of live unamplified music, more power to you. If you want opera, fine with me. The point is that everyone has different tastes. Do what makes YOU happy and do not worry about what everyone else wants. The mainstream trends are for the mainstream people who create the trends. If you want to join up, get in line. If it does not suit you, stay of that bus and keep on keepin' on. There will always be a way to get what you want.

There are many folks that voluntarily choose to act in a certain manner that is not defensible from a rational perspective.

We all know excess mid / low bass has a significant negative impact on ones ability to hear "all" of the music that any transducer reproduces.

There are an alarming number of people who think it is acceptable to text while driving.

Fortunately and in this case, they won't kill somebody.

GG

cherian,

i had that exact same experience. In 1991 I was dj'ing all over the country at different raves and clubs. A couple of years later I walked into my local High End Stereo shop and the salesman asked me what I am into / what do i like? I said i like lots of bass and lots of treble! He said what kind or preamp do you use - I said proudly - I use a Numark mixer! He was very kind and did not laugh! It was there that i eventually heard a full blown Martin Logan system playing a Laserdisc concert of Eric Clapton and my jaw dropped and the rest is history.

I agree thougth too that today's youth is only used to hearing over processed made for FM highly compressed music and if it has tons of bass and screaching treble then it sounds great to them... So naturally when it comes to today's headphones for the masses, i think the company making the headphones with the most bass will be considered the "best" by the majority!

Kids really don't have a reference system to listen to these days so they don't know any better

I am 24, and let me say I really dont like (more hate) the whole club music-esk type thing that most people my age love. Without getting into some long drawn out explanation I do have this to say...

My little brother is a small time DJ and he was/is one of these club people, obviously. He was very into bass and all that jazz, but then I invited him to listen to music with me, and now his eyes are opened in a totally different way. He didn't realize all he was missing and all the detail he wasn't putting into his own music. So now that he knows he is really becoming an audiophile. He pays more attention now, and wants to produce some of the best sounding electronic music he can.

It goes to show you that most... well people in general really dont know the difference.

I am 24, and let me say I really dont like (more hate) the whole club music-esk type thing that most people my age love. Without getting into some long drawn out explanation I do have this to say...

My little brother is a small time DJ and he was/is one of these club people, obviously. He was very into bass and all that jazz, but then I invited him to listen to music with me, and now his eyes are opened in a totally different way. He didn't realize all he was missing and all the detail he wasn't putting into his own music. So now that he knows he is really becoming an audiophile. He pays more attention now, and wants to produce some of the best sounding electronic music he can.

It goes to show you that most... well people in general really dont know the difference.

I would agree with your last statement. I have been into car audio for years and when I mention it to some coworkers, the first thing that comes to mind is loud bass...until they hear my system. Most of them get out saying "I never knew that was in that song!" Until peoples eyes are opened to what they are missing, they will never know what's there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

Back