What Speakers Do You Rate As Better Than Martin Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've wondered about this as well, just HOW well the Stage matches up with the CLX. And what a LCR CLX system would look/sound like. How would you use a CLX for a center channel? By design they really are only left or right only.

... and I've also wondered about an acoustically transparent screen wall for ML's, too. If ML's really do need to be about 4' from the back wall, and if I remember right an AT screen needs to be about 18-24" from the front of a speaker, you're talking the screen being a good 6' into the room.

I've wondered about this as well, just HOW well the Stage matches up with the CLX. And what a LCR CLX system would look/sound like. How would you use a CLX for a center channel? By design they really are only left or right only.

... and I've also wondered about an acoustically transparent screen wall for ML's, too. If ML's really do need to be about 4' from the back wall, and if I remember right an AT screen needs to be about 18-24" from the front of a speaker, you're talking the screen being a good 6' into the room.

First, please look at my setup and the SL3XC for what a real center and room setup can be ;)

As for the CLX, the one in the middle could be either the L or the R from a second pair.

Just make sure the High-Frequency panel is close to the center line (but not exactly, just like my setup). BTW- my SL3XC is almost as wide (22”) as a CLX (25”).

But we're drifting from the OT.

First off I don't care for many "box" designs so they are out . $ for $ the old Apogee line trounces every 'Logan
The Carver Amazing s are close and way less $$
Magnepans are close as well but much fussier
I still miss my Apogee's

Hi Dennis,

Yes, you need a pretty capable center to keep up with CLX, and with them, the big challenge would be the mid-bass, as nothing but the CLX’s own mid-bass panels will ever match the quality they deliver in those registers.

So, want to go halfies with me on a pair in a few years?

When I update my setup, it will be CLX left right AND center. So I need three.

But most manufactures fall down here, and that’s because so few users are willing to build a screen/speaker wall using acoustically transparent front projection screens.

If I were to find an acceptable screen I'd certainly be willing to use 3 CLXs; however, I would prefer that ML develop one so that us consumers would have placement/screen options. :D

MBL 101's...even older models like these and even when powered by fairly cheap Rotel gear and an iPod will outshine any other speaker I have listened to at any price... That said I have not listened to anything (that I know of) that was above $20,000/pair.

They are AWESOME. I can only imagine how good they would sound in a properly treated room with some PASS (or equal) amps, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 351
Thanks Jon - back on track...

I'd be really interested in the response to this. Why? Maybe I'll say later:) And maybe it'll give the folks at ML something to aim for...

The reason I was interested is I don't think there is much out there that beats MLs.

I would take the MBL 101E over the Spire/Summit, but having heard it within a very short time period (10-15 minutes) against the CLX, I wouldn't take it over the CLX... and it costs way more...

I'd take the Analysis Omega over the Spire/Summit too. And possibly the Apogee Synergy since it uses similar tech (I'd think it's probably better than the Analysis but I don't know that).

Magico V3s over a Summit? Nope... good speaker, though, but again too expensive to compete.

Stripped Quads (not grills or dust cover) mounted in concrete frames would be a great experiment (say 4 per channel!), supplemented with some Rel/ML subs. But that would lack slam.

And the AvantGarde Trio with their bass bins - I'd take that little setup over the CLX. Just because it looks so bl**dy cool...:D:eek::devil: And I'd take the really big MBLs over the CLX, too.

Last edited:
Stripped Quads (not grills or dust cover) mounted in concrete frames would be a great experiment (say 4 per channel!), supplemented with some Rel/ML subs. But that would lack slam.

SME's late head geezer, ARA had a pair of Quad ESL 63s per channel once, stripped bare and surrounded by lots of heavy stuff. There was an article about ARA's music room many years ago in Hifi Choice; I would love to hear what his system sounds like!

SME's late head geezer, ARA had a pair of Quad ESL 63s per channel once, stripped bare and surrounded by lots of heavy stuff. There was an article about ARA's music room many years ago in Hifi Choice; I would love to hear what his system sounds like!

It's still up and running chez SME... but probably NOT open to the general public:(

I must say, I haven't found too m(any) competing products that paint a sonic landscape the way Logan's do. They truly are musical speakers. One the things I admire most about the X-stats is the the scale of sound they offer from such a small footprint. The 'presence' is akin to a line-array. Oh yeah, I also love the modern styling! :D

That said, like all designs - there are things the Logan's do well, and things they don't do so well. Because I listen to such a massive variety of music, and because I'm a self admitted 'tone' whore, my ears tend to sway towards offerings from Totem Acoustic, Audio Physic, and Harbeth. It's not to say that any of the above craft inherently better products. It's just that their stuff typically appeals to my ears more than Logan's stuff.

Last edited:
MBL 101's...even older models like these and even when powered by fairly cheap Rotel gear and an iPod will outshine any other speaker I have listened to at any price... That said I have not listened to anything (that I know of) that was above $20,000/pair.

They are AWESOME. I can only imagine how good they would sound in a properly treated room with some PASS (or equal) amps, etc.

Wow - who's MBLs? Is that setup for real?

Another speaker I might live with is the Scaena Iso-Linear array

Jonathan, I've never heard them but they look like the remains of a late fifties Cadillac Coupe-deVille or 4th of July rocket launchers turned sideways.

It's still up and running chez SME... but probably NOT open to the general public:(

Agreed, although I suspect that they might make an exception for someone who was seriously interested in a Model 30 turntable... If/when I'm ever in a position to seriously consider one, I might find out! :)

Hope James doesn't mind me answering this...that setup is real and it belongs to James. I've heard them and they sound awesome. James also has a great surround system consisting of MLs.

Who can forget listening to the MBLs in Denver? I was blown away by that wide and deep soundstage!

Who can forget listening to the MBLs in Denver? I was blown away by that wide and deep soundstage!

Agreed Erik, but as you know my room couldn't begin to accomodate them....come to think of it neither could my wallet !

Thanks Steve! Glad to have an unbiased responder! They throw out a BEAUTIFUL sound and stage, even in my less than optimal room and electronics! Just amazing! Worth 2X the money I paid for them I assure you!

I must say, I haven't found too m(any) competing products that paint a sonic landscape the way Logan's do. They truly are musical speakers. One the things I admire most about the X-stats is the the scale of sound they offer from such a small footprint. The 'presence' is akin to a line-array. Oh yeah, I also love the modern styling! :D

That said, like all designs - there are things the Logan's do well, and things they don't do so well. Because I listen to such a massive variety of music, and because I'm a self admitted 'tone' whore, my ears tend to sway towards offerings from Totem Acoustic, Audio Physic, and Harbeth. It's not to say that any of the above craft inherently better products. It's just that their stuff typically appeals to my ears more than Logan's stuff.

So, you just said that ML speakers are "truly musical", but you love tone and prefer harbeth, but they don't make anything better...

Pick a spot dude.

Having owned various panels (ML and Non-ML) over the last 30 years, I'm not sure if there are a lot of "better" or "worse" speakers than ML, I just think like any other hifi component, if you really respond to the way the ML produces sound and fills a room, you probably won't like other things as much.

It's a very unique flavor. And certainly one to get hooked on.

That being said, I agree with the others, the MBL speakers with the right setup are really breathtaking!

Hello Jeff,

Aside from reiterating what I wrote regarding ML gear, I do not understand what point you were trying to make in the above response.

Pick a spot? In all honesty, I’d love to. However, at this point, I’m not married to any one particular brand or type of sound! I mentioned Harbeth because they produce a very enjoyable sound that I like and in some instances prefer over the Logan set-ups I’ve built and encountered through the years. Never once did I state that Harbeth (or anyone else for that matter) builds a better product, though I could see how one could easily get confused given the header of this particular thread.

I understand that most of the people here proudly wear the panel stripes. As indicated by my membership here, I too enjoy the sound. That said, I feel that there are way too many good loudspeakers that play in the same ballpark as Logan’s to ignore. Harbeth is one of them. Not to take you to task Jeff, but to quote your review: “The Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 is one of the most enjoyable speakers I’ve heard in the last few years, regardless of price”. I believe you also openly stated in a public forum (either here or audiocircle) that the Compact 7ES-3’s were your favorite loudspeakers at/under the 10k mark. Now wait just a second - isn’t that where the majority of the Martin Logan products play? :D And you’re telling ME to pick a spot? :p

Look, I give kudos to anyone who have found their huckleberry in this gig. At the end of the day, its about crashing in front of your system (either in solitude or in good company) and enjoying the musical experience. Logan's can help take me there, but they aren't the only ones that 'do it' for me...and that's it in a nutshell.

Actually, you're misquoting me, I have said the compact 7's are ONE of my favorites in that price range and I have said many times that Harbeth is one of my favorite "non panel" speakers. Two of my other favorites are the Vantage and Spire.

And though the Compact 7 is one of the most enjoyable speakers I've heard at any price, that does not mean it's the solution for everyone and it doesn't mean it does everything. Much as I love my CLX's, if I had a small room, I'd probably get a pair of Harbeths instead of trying to shoehorn a pair of ML's in the room.

All things being equal, I'd never trade my compact 7's for the CLX. Fortunately, I don't have to, they peacefully coexist in separate rooms/systems.

What I was commenting on was your talking in a circle...

Back