System #275 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the side channels, the up and down channels, the diagonal channels...

To hell with it - replace the walls, floor and ceilings with CLXes.:D:eek:;) Only then will I come round for a listen - but I'll have to tread carefully...

Stick a Fork in Me, I'm done!

Okay for those who have been watching this train wreck in slow motion, I finally got the final piece to my ML CLX 5.1 system puzzle. I originally estimated that it would only be a few weeks, as it turned out it took 3 months.

Interestingly, due to the Internet I was able to talk online with the designer of my McCormack MAP-1 analogue pre-amp. I absolutely loved the Steve McCormack design and performance of the MAP-1 for its ability to play Multi-Channel music like SACD, DVDA, and DVD video formats and then at the switch of a button it could turn a two channel source like a CD or TT into a discrete 6 channel system using Steve McCormacks ARM circuit that sounded extremely close to SACD and DVDA content.

Steve McCormack left McCormack Audio after it's acquistion by Conrad Johnson and started his own SMc Audio company. Intially he offered upgrades to the various McCormack products like the DNA series, RLD, DAC, ALD, TLC, etc that were manufactured by McCormack Audio. He also had developed a new two channel Virtual Reality Engine VRE pre-amp. Initially there was no upgrade for the MAP-1 Pre-Amp that I loved so much. Steve and I got to talking and next thing I know I am buying a new MAP-1 and having it shipped directly to Steve to design an upgrade for the MAP-1.

Well long story short, Steve came up with a Design and cost that I could not pass up. It took a little longer than either he or I thought but as they say all good things come to pass or was it patients are golden or good things come to those who wait or maybe it was don't wait to be good.

Whatever the SMc Audio modded MAP-1 came yesterday and I decided to do a side by side with the old MAP-1 that I still had. I was hoping and expecting a difference but I was not prepared for what I heard. Straight out of the box the SMc MAP-1 sounded deeper, more real with much more body to the music. Instruments were better separated and there was much better resolution with more air throughout the audio spectrum. It was night and day when compared to the standard McCormack MAP-1. I stayed up until after 2 am and will probably end up doing the same tonight.

I am looking forward to going back through my music collection and listening to every single disc and vinyl LP with the SMc modded MAP-1. Oh and it is kind of cool that in the whole world, at least for a short time I have the only one in existance. So at least for now I have the only MAP-1 that can take the McCormack ARM circuit and SACD/DVDA along with the persons listening to it, to that next level. I think I will be scarce from the MLOC for a while as I explore sonic nirvana with what to me is getting to be just about as good as I can make it. Or at least as much as I can afford without affecting my lifestyle:eek::music:

Message to TonePub: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......at least for a while:devil:

Oh and Justin, this is what I was alluding too. I am still looking to add a pair of used CLXs to the rear channels. Until then, Rock on:rocker:

Hi Joe,

Long time no post!

This chap reminds me of an ex-Musical Fidelity employee who apparently does a really good job of upgrading their kit. Enjoy... glad you're happy with what you have - minus the CLX rears that I'm sure you'll find sooner or later;).

Justin

I could not remember what you were using for a turntable, so went back to Page 1 of this thread - I thought you were planning to buy the VPI HRX. Is the turntable you have up to the standard of the rest of the equipment?

Please, no flames from anyone accusing me of elitism; I had enough of that crap when I innocently asked Jeff (Tonepub) a similar question (no, the crap did not come from Jeff).

Bernard,

You are correct the TT which is a KAB modded Technics MG5, is my weakest link. But if you listen to Jeff it is easy to chase the weakest link until you are broke.

I have 3 other little hobbies that have been consuming a lot of my time this summer, not too mention bringing a new product to life at work, hence the scarcity of posts.

However, the weather here in the northern hemisphere is greatly curtailing my ability to enjoy my other 3 hobbies, so I should have little trouble listening to the system, which will probably get a TT upgrade sometime this winter.

There I go again...... But for now I just want to listen for a while. Tonight I listened to Depeche Mode Violator and the cut Personal Jesus nearly put me on the floor. Oh and for you Bernard I did listen to Brian Auger Oblivian Express on the TT in 5.1 courtesy of Mr. McCormacks ARM circuit.

All in all a good night.

Back