Shall I add a subwoofer to a wall mounted Centre ML Theater i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As stated in my inaugural post my home cinema system is pretty old comprising

2 x Martin Logan SL3's (Surround)
Martin Logan Theater i (centre Channel)
Chord 5 channel power amp
Classe SSP800 processor (5.1 only)
Optima projector and screen

This is augented with a new(ish) 2 channel system, with the preamplifier in bypass mode.

Martin Logan Renaissance 15A speakers
Chord Ultima pre 2 pre-amplifier
Chord Ultima 3 monoblocs
dCS Rossini DAC
dCS Rossini clock

I am wondering how much bass support I am missing from my high mounted Theater i speakers. Reading advertising etc., primarly from REL there seems to be a tendancy for a centre speaker to be supported by a sub. Has anyone any experience?

Another question is currently I have front LR and surrounds set to full range but I am missing out significantly from not having the .1 activated?

Last edited:
Having a home theater without a sub is like driving my Porsche 911 turbo no faster than 55 mph. A sub is a necessity IMO. I recently went from 1 to 2 subs in mine and realize how I was wrong not to have done so earlier. Even just listening to 2 channel music will sound so much better. You can set the crossover for your other speakers at around 60 to 80 hz and the bass they produce above that will be better. Let the sub do the heavy lifting in the low frequencies.
I use a Balanced Force 210 Martin Logan sub behind my couch for nearfield and then a big 21 inch Power Sound Audio up front in the corner. I can't imagine listening to a movie or music without a subwoofer. My Prodigy speakers have two 10 inch woofers in each too, but they can't touch what a good sub can do.

I am wondering how much bass support I am missing from my high mounted Theater i speakers.
A lot! The Theater i frequency response bottoms at 77Hz, so yes, you're missing a lot. The center channel has a lot of content that goes down to 28Hz, some content goes lower but it's not so common.

I was running a sub just for Center for a couple years. After changing the subwoofer compliment, and getting great results, I decided to include the Center Channel with the main group of subs. But no matter how you slice it, I love having dedicated subs just for the Center Channel and am in process of dedicating a couple again since I'm no longer using two smaller subs as part of the main group anymore with the current config. Using dedicated subs just for center duties improves the clarity. It's not a huge difference because it's just in the lower frequencies, but it's there.

Another question is currently I have front LR and surrounds set to full range but I am missing out significantly from not having the .1 activated?
Yes. You can keep the 15A's setup as Large if you'd like so long as LFE is not going to them - keep the LFE separate from BM (Bass Management) bass for channels setup as Small. Also, I don't want really low frequency LFE going through my nice L&R woofers. You 'can' do that, but I don't. That's what subs are for.

I guess I should ask if your processor can separate the LFE from the BM? Mine can, and it's a great feature! So if your processor cannot have LFE ONLY go to subwoofers, then the 15A's should be setup as Small and send all LFE and BM to the subs.

Last edited:
Back