System #275 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

How would you describe the sonic signature of the Running Springs compared to the powerplant? Have you tried any other components yet, or only the amp?

If I plug my CJ 350 into the wall, I get more bass oomph and better dynamics. If I plug it into my ESP Essence, it trims the bass and reveals more mids/ highs. It's a toss up. I tried Transparent, it gave me stronger bass, but less mid/ high resolution. Is Running Springs really better, or just a different flavor?

Thanks

With a Premier 350, way better... It's the only one I've tried that I can bury that amp and not lose any dynamics at all. I can run my ACT2 at 90 on the level control and not run out of gas.

Trust me, you will be impressed.

It never ends......

For those that follow the continuing ML CLX saga.....

Okay, a pair of Vistas came my way at price I could not justify passing up.

So I thoughtfully replaced the ML Sources that I was using on the rear channels with the CLX 5.1 surround sound system.

I am just taking a leap of faith that the Vistas are better than the Sources.

Why, because they have bigger panels and as the old saying goes...we all know size matters.....or was it size doesn't matter...it's what you do with the music that matters:D

Obviously I am not very good at remembering old sayings!

Okay, I got the Vistas hooked up in place of the Sources. I was not prepared for the difference.

I guess I had hoped there would be a difference but the sound coming from the Vistas was night and day compared to the Sources. I thought that the Sources were pretty decent, but the X-stat setup for the Vistas just totally blows the Sources out of the water.

I will have to update the system pics this weekend, hopefully I can get that done.

I also have some tweaks coming that should be interesting. I have already invested substantially in new power cords and now power conditioning.

The only issue with the CLX so far, is that they dominate the room where they reside. This caused me to focus less on the Sources and in hindsight that was a mistake. In a good 5.1 music system, with good 5.1 surround mix material each channel has significantly increased source material that is to be played from the respective speaker. So putting in a better speaker for the rears really made a big difference.

I guess now I have to find a used set of CLXs as the best speaker for the rear channels and to replace the Vistas. You know I am finding out that there are some questions, you just don't really want to know the answer.

Last edited:
I guess now I have to find a used set of CLXs as the best speaker for the rear channels and to replace the Vistas.
Uhhhhh.... okayyyyy. Wow. That would be a very impressive setup. I guess we'd be talking about a $50-65k setup, just for the speakers. Something I'd definitely want to witness for myself.

From out of the Wild Blue, CLXs?

No, no, not nearly that much. My system is a 5.1 system.

I am only going to do it when I find a pair of used CLXs that are definitely priced right. So I would say the whole shebang would be well under 35K.

But there are a couple of things to consider first.

Like the CLXs would have to be the right circumstance for me to get them and the used CLXs would have to be within driving distance of Indy, because I don't want to take a chance shipping used CLXs.:D

But enough about my CLXs, have we convinced you to pull the trigger on your pair Wild Blue?

I am serious as a heart attack, CLXs are worth every penny to experience. Every time you listen to them you hear something that just makes you shake your head in amazement. I guess that is the best way to describe it.

Very nice system:music:! I just love those Martin Logan Clx's. Man I'm envious.:D Even a little green.

Glen

Thanks Glen,

I actually have a whole slew of upgrades since these pics were taken. But I am waiting on a very special upgrade that is underway but still a few weeks off. I think once I have THAT, whatever THAT is. I will re-post pics of the system with some close-up shots of the new stuff.

Even though all of the upgrades are not in, the system is starting to hit its head on the glass ceiling. I am really not sure I can do much to make it better......but sticking to the true audiophile code I will keep trying.....maybe it's time to try Dots:D

But I am waiting on a very special upgrade that is underway but still a few weeks off. I think once I have THAT, whatever THAT is. I will re-post pics of the system with some close-up shots of the new stuff.

Hmmmm. I wonder what that special THAT could be........:think:

Glen

Well there are a few things that are going on. For the moment, the main thing is a one of kind upgrade for my Pre-amp. It is currently in process and should be completed in the next 2 weeks. Then there are a handfull of other upgrades that have been adding over the last 6 months. Once everything is in and done I will reshoot the system and replace the pix and then I will update the list of components. Should be done in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Patients or was it patience....:D

Okay, systems are all updated with new PIX!

Okay Justin and I think Fountain,

I just updated most of the stuff that is going on with my ML systems. New Pix and new descriptions, FWIW.:devil:

If you are interested, I went in to some detail of the different setups. There are now 3 separate ML systems. Two HT systems and one Music only 5.1 surround sound system. The CLX system is starting to hit its head on the glass ceiling, so to speak, but hey if the dragon was easy to catch everyone would have one for a pet.

I now have 19 Martin Logan speakers and so I am thinking I officially have a serious ML addiction. :eek:

I was thinking Tom should open a section of the MLOC called AA....Audiophile Anonymous, maybe we could have online meetings and develop a 12 step program on how to setup electrostats:D

Hey Joe, you know what?

I think you need some more Martin Logans:ROFL:!

Seriously, though, good write up, nice pics, and thanks for sharing. Big investment, but I bet it is reaping big rewards.

Making me think back to my CLX exposure in London. They really were pretty good. Enjoy...

BTW: I just bought a carpet cleaner (a Bissel). Essential for those booze spilling moments. Highly recommended!:)

Really Justin, I have 2 Bissels, cause they say 2X with Steam on the front.:D

And it is not an investment in Logans, it is an addiction, one sounds legitimate and one does not.:devil:

I am blaming most of this stuff on TonePub, that is my story and I am sticking to it!

I am blaming most of this stuff on TonePub, that is my story and I am sticking to it!

What are you going to do when he goes off MLs?:eek:

If he said Bose were great, you'd buy it?:rolleyes: I think not.

I blame good taste, Joe! But that really is a lot of MLs...:)

Anyone got more? I think not...

You've only scratched the surface....

You still need a full set of Shunyata Aurora cables

A Naim 555 (or comparable) CD player

A serious vinyl setup

That should do you for the next 100-150k!

Somebody stop him! For God's sake he is gonna kill somebody's wallet.

Seriously, I have taken some of Tonepub's advice and it has cost me dearly.

What about Shunyata Orion Cables? Are they not good enough.....see there I go again...this is dangerous stuff here. Remember a full set is two 40 footers, two 10 footers and one 6 footer.

I think I will go with the CLXs for the rear channels first:D

Back