Replacement panels ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
My speakers are 13 yrs old (Sequel II) and are working very well. But according to JP at ML, improved detail and clarity would likely result if I replaced the panels. Sounds reasonable to me... and the cost is quite reasonable. But I have a few questions that you fine folk may be able to answer.... For those who have replaced their ESL panels:

- Did you feel that replacing them improved your system ?

- Did you have to re-break-in the speakers ?

- Is replacing the woofers simultaneously recommended ?

Thanks !!

~VDR

After I changed my panels the speaker was very bright. After about 100 hours it started to sound much better. 150 hours and all was good in the world.

My speakers are 13 yrs old (Sequel II) and are working very well. But according to JP at ML, improved detail and clarity would likely result if I replaced the panels. Sounds reasonable to me... and the cost is quite reasonable. But I have a few questions that you fine folk may be able to answer.... For those who have replaced their ESL panels:

- Did you feel that replacing them improved your system ?

- Did you have to re-break-in the speakers ?

- Is replacing the woofers simultaneously recommended ?

Thanks !!

~VDR

Hola. I had replaced a lot of Sequel´s stat panels, but never had replaced a woofer. I represent ML here in Costa Rica since June ´87 and I had to service all models too. Yes, new panels will make them to sing better than old panels. Just listen if you have a highs´ roll off. Play cymbals or high frequency content or listen how easy is to tell the left hand of the piano player. If it is too hard to listen this, get new stat panels and listen it again for a big change. It is not cheap but really worth it every penny!!! Happy listening,
Roberto.

I recently replaced the panels on my sequel II which are 1994. The sound seems dull compared to when they were new. These are the clear spar panels which I thought would be better. Anyone ever had this happen? thanks Greg

I recently replaced the panels on my sequel II which are 1994. The sound seems dull compared to when they were new. These are the clear spar panels which I thought would be better. Anyone ever had this happen? thanks Greg

Hum, something must not be right in the install if they sound duller than the old panels.

Did you significantly change their location?

Are the stator wires all hooked up right?

Any other system changes at the same time?

When I swapped panels on the SL3's (with new ClearSpar panels), they were night and day, brighter that is.

Are the clear spar panels recommended over the regular ones ? Do they cost more ?

ML will be getting the call very soon from me, and I just want to go into it knowing the maximum possible...:D

Thanks !

~VDR

Michigan boy I see. The clear spar are limited to the smaller panels. Like the SL# maybee the Sequill but they do not do clear on the bigger stuff. Something about the spar thickness !

Back