New View for 911's ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I not too sure about the side mirrors but they will probably grow on me after a while.

But I bet that you wouldn't let that stop you from driving it! :)

The Cayman S has its pluses also.... mid-engine, a true sportscar, probably one of the best handling Porsches and definitely tops many other cars at its price level and above.

M3 has its own attributes too... more luxury, awesome in the straightaway, but probably not the best cornering and a bit sluggish around the track if pitted against something like the Cayman S. But it'd blow the doors off the Cayman S in a straight, no doubt.

what does the gf want?

She graduates pharmacy before me (actually in 3 months).... so she gets a Range Rover...

This is only between me and myself... I think my parents and I have agreed on the upcoming G35 coupe as the baseline.... and if their business does better this year, then I'll be getting something like the Cayman S or I suppose.. the... new... M3..... arr arr....!
2006_g35-07.jpg

Infiniti_Coupe_Concept.jpg

Last edited:
M3 has its own attributes too... more luxury, awesome in the straightaway, but probably not the best cornering and a bit sluggish around the track if pitted against something like the Cayman S. But it'd blow the doors off the Cayman S in a straight, no doubt.

M3's are AWESOME handling cars! Yea, they are not a Cayman S, but still amazing! As you noted there are few cars that can come close to the Cayman. I would say a Ferrari 360/430 would be a touch better (if for no other reason than power), the Elise and FOR SURE the Exige would be better (MUCH lighter, though w/o some of the power, and certainly not comfortable cars)...that is about it. I am sure there are others, that would give it a run, but off the top of my head I would say you would have to go with either Lotus or Ferrari to best a Cayman! BTW, I love ALL of those cars and would/will gladly put any/all of them in my garage eventually! :D Probably after I add another 6+ car garage across the driveway from the current one...

M3's are AWESOME handling cars! Yea, they are not a Cayman S, but still amazing! As you noted there are few cars that can come close to the Cayman. I would say a Ferrari 360/430 would be a touch better (if for no other reason than power), the Elise and FOR SURE the Exige would be better (MUCH lighter, though w/o some of the power, and certainly not comfortable cars)...that is about it. I am sure there are others, that would give it a run, but off the top of my head I would say you would have to go with either Lotus or Ferrari to best a Cayman! BTW, I love ALL of those cars and would/will gladly put any/all of them in my garage eventually! :D Probably after I add another 6+ car garage across the driveway from the current one...
I agree James... but the Exige takes an exorbitant amount of time to go above 120mph and sitting in one has been reported to be akin to losing one's hearing... though I'm sure the Exige, being a Lotus, has probably one of the best suspension systems in the business... no wonder Nissan is outsourcing their suspension for the vaunted Nissan Skyline GTR supercar ($80K) coming out next year.

The Cayman S is quick off the line 5.1s to 60, but it's the handling that makes it the car that it is.... the Ferrari 430, however, should beat the Cayman in everything but equal it or be slightly bulkier in corners.

And the M3, wont corner worth anything compared to a Cayman S.... it's been shown several times on Top Gear that it being a front-engine car would usually understeer... but that's with the last gen M3, so who knows what this new one will do. The M3 owns the straightaway and definitely the expressway... that thing just hauls! And this is talking from experience as my friend drives me to and from school in the M3. :)

Either way, all the cars are way too cool!! ;)

Behold the 2008 Nissan Skyline GTR! It's goal is to match the Porsche 911turbo pound for pound, and for $40K less. It's got Lotus handling the suspension system, and tips/tricks from the legendary R34 Skyline tucked into the hood. Twin turbos and close to 500hp. Not to mention the awd system that should help propel the car from 0-60 in <4s.

0608sccp_05z+2008_nissan_gtr+lef_rear_light.jpg

0608sccp_02z+2008_nissan_gtr+left_rear_view.jpg

0608sccp_03z+2008_nissan_gtr+right_side_view.jpg

0608sccp_01z+2008_nissan_gtr+front_view.jpg

I agree James... but the Exige takes an exorbitant amount of time to go above 120mph and sitting in one has been reported to be akin to losing one's hearing...
The Cayman S is quick off the line 5.1s to 60, but it's the handling that makes it the car that it is.... the Ferrari 430, however, should beat the Cayman in everything but equal it or be slightly bulkier in corners.

And the M3, wont corner worth anything compared to a Cayman S.... And this is talking from experience as my friend drives me to and from school in the M3. :)

I guess it depends on what you are doing with it... Do you want to live w/ the car everyday or do you want to corner like you are on rails??? There is always a trade off. Unless you are hiding something from us I doubt you or anyone else on this list is going to be able to drive like the Top Gear test guys...

If you are driving flat out on the track the ability to go around a corner like the Exige will trump the Cayman FOR SURE and maybe even the Ferrari. Would you want to live with it everyday? HELL NO!

Same for the Ferrari unless you are made of money. $5k/clutch...do one every 20k miles or so...yea, that is some BIG BUCKS right there! I know folks who have put in THREE clutches in less than 20k miles!

Is your friend a professional race driver? Has he spent ANY TIME on a race track? Trust me I have seen slightly modified M3's FLY on a track...been passed by a few of them! Could you live with one everyday? How about a modified suspension car? HECK YEA! Could you live with a Cayman everyday? HECK YEA! Are you going to be able to experience the limits of EITHER of them on the street? Well, I hope you don't try because those limits are so high that unless you have been WELL TRAINED (in the Jedi arts?) you will kill yourself or others in either of them trying stuff like that!

Now, that said, I do have my times of antisocial driving behaviour but I have driven tens of thousands of miles on race tracks all over TX and OK, and have instructed other to drive high performance cars even more miles than that. I have auto-Xed, time trialed, and door to door raced as well. My cars are in top condition and I have driven all of them at the limit in safe conditions, so driving 8.5/10's on the street while feeling like a near death experience for a passenger is really quite safe...

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary...)

As for the cars...I like EVERY ONE OF THOSE mentioned and would gladly take any of them...and drive the **** out of them!!!

James my good man... I agree with what you said.

What I said was in the absolute terms, if you take each car to the limit, then the differences will manifest themselves as those that I listed.

Will I ever drive like those on Top Gear, probably not.

So the differences between say the Cayman S cornering better than the M3 is a moot point, like you said... in the real world.

Like you, I'll gladly take anything that has wheels!!

Joey :)

James my good man... I agree with what you said.

What I said was in the absolute terms, if you take each car to the limit, then the differences will manifest themselves as those that I listed.

So the differences between say the Cayman S cornering better than the M3 is a moot point, like you said... in the real world.

Like you, I'll gladly take anything that has wheels!!

Got it...was not sure exactly to what you were referring and just want to be clear. That is why so often you see the M3 beating other cars that have better absolute performance in real world tests because it is SO MUCH MORE user friendly for normal driving yet still offers 98% of the performance of anything else.

Now, don't get carried away on that last bit...I am VERY PICKY about my cars and if I can't have something nice I'd rather just push the wheelchair! LOL! Ok, maybe that is a little extreme, but I can't imagine I would ever have a car that 90% of people would not think was VERY NICE or REALLY COOL! Hell, my first car was a Triumph Spitfire and while certainly not modern by any stretch, it was/is ALWAYS COOL!! ;)

For the record, I would take any of the cars we have mentioned and be very happy and proud to have them. I DRIVE A FREAKING TRAILBLAZER!!! Can you imagine how bad that sucks when the last few cars you have driven were 740's, CLK's, Jetta turbo's and GLI's.

The obvious question is why I love sporty cars and have a trailblazer. Can you imagine this driveway in the winter with a rear-wheel drive car:eek: ? It goes up and up and up.

Attachments

• SMALL DRIVE.jpg
    SMALL DRIVE.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 107
Wow, nice view. Now that's a driveway that's worth owning a trailblazer for. But I think you should still invest in a summertime car -- you know, something with two seats, a rag top, and hellfire under the hood.

Now, don't get carried away on that last bit...I am VERY PICKY about my cars and if I can't have something nice I'd rather just push the wheelchair! LOL!

James man... you always know how to cheer me up.... funny stuff!! This guy's a comedian, ladies and gentlemen... he'll be here all week! Try the veal and dont forget to tip your waitress!

Thank you! Good night!!

*applause*

:)

James,

Hey, thank you for the wonderful explination. I think your safe driving race car techniques are excellent and the way to go and go fast. You've helped me better understand the safe enjoyment of this hobby / passion and I appreciate it... :)

:) I been wanted to ask you, maybe you know... What was the sports car, the actor, James Dean was driving, when he met his untimely end? Wasn't his sports car a Porsche Spider... something? I think his sports car was black or silver but I don't know...? :confused:

He was driving a 550 Spyder at a very high rate of speed. It's a beautiful car and one of the most copied kits, probably second to the Cobra.
550JamesDean.jpg

I own a 2005 Volvo S60R at 300hp and all wheel drive I can not say enough good things about it. Is it in the same class as the Audi RS6 or BMW M3. No, but its only $45,000.00 and it can do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and I get 25 mpg in mixed driving.

The other bang for the buck is the Corvette Z06. I will put this car against any other car for under $90,000.00 and it will win in most categories. Don’t count out a good American built push rod V-8.

Latest posts

Back