Three Channel Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesseractML

Reaction score
Greetings. I am a new ML owner. So new that I haven't even opened the cartons yet. When I do open them, I'll be tasked with powering a pair of Classic 9s and a Focus C18.

As I am an apartment dweller, there is no need to hit over 90 dBC SPL. I will be starting out with the Denon X4800H AVR to power them and expect that should do the job. Here is the ASR data.

1689191053942.png

If not the Denon, there are a few candidates I've chosen and would like the community to weigh in with their thoughts.

My first choice is the Buckeye Amps Hypex NCx500, but there is a parts shortage and the delivery date keeps getting pushed farther out.

Second, and probably best choice is three of these bad boys. Are the Purifi monos too much power for the speakers? Not that I'll ever push it in my present space, but I won't be living here forever.

Third choice is this smaller Purifi Three Channel. Not much more power than the Denon by itself. Maybe it is the perfect fit at around 400 watts, though?

I would just get the Parasound A31, but it is discontinued and I am a bit mad that they dropped it instead of coming out with a "+" version. I have no interest in paying a lot more for the A51. This will be a 5.2 system, with the side surrounds likely to be a pair of inexpensive Emotiva towers and I can't justify $1k per channel for those. I feel that the Denon AVR will do just fine powering the surrounds and anything else I might add, hence my focus on three channel amps.

So, which of the above would you go with and why? Any other suggestions in this roughly $3k or less price range would be welcome, too.

TIA!

Last edited:
What's your Budget?

I'd consider the second hand market, and look at non-module-based, non-bridged offerings.

I'm thinking Anthem MCA 30 or 325; Bryston 8B-ST, etc.

Russ

Greetings. I am a new ML owner. So new that I haven't even opened the cartons yet. When I do open them, I'll be tasked with powering a pair of Classic 9s and a Focus C18.

As I am an apartment dweller, there is no need to hit over 90 dBC SPL.

I would just get the Parasound A31, but it is discontinued and I am a bit mad that they dropped it instead of coming out with a "+" version.
Get the Parasound. Yes, Parasound shows it's discontinued, but you can probably still get one at a dealer somewhere.

It's not just "watts" to consider with these speakers, but how stable the amp design is - even at low volume.

If you have Amp-A that has enough "watts", and Amp-B that is considerably more capable in dealing with low impedance but has less watts, I'd go with Amp-B.

An AVR should be avoided.

If you have a chance to demo any Martin Logan speakers at a dealer that's friendly enough to swap amps for you just once, then try listening with a great amp at moderate volume, then switch to the AVR of your choice. The difference in the quality of the sound will be very apparent between the AVR and great amp.

I got such an eye opening experience when I sold a pair of The Advent speakers to the manager of the audio store from which I was purchasing a new system. I was floored at how great the sound was from those Advents when paired with a better amp than I had prior to purchasing the new system. The Advents sounded much fuller when properly amped, even at low volume.

I concur Re the Anthem, I’m using the MCA 225 mk2 with my classic 9’s it’s awesome.

Get the Parasound. Yes, Parasound shows it's discontinued, but you can probably still get one at a dealer somewhere.
I guess I should grab one now then. I have the JC-1's for my main channels and at the moment, nothing to drive my surrounds. I was using Zamps, but they've been unreliable. Maybe it's time for the upgrade. I have reasons for preferring power amps where I can trim the gains rather than at the preamp level that I won't get into here.

I have a local Parasound dealer here, otherwise I'll just wait for an Audio Advisor clearance

Since when? I was just looking at it on Audio Advisor yesterday.
Some of the retailers are listing it as "Discontinued". I called one, it just means they are not carrying it anymore.
I called Parasound twice today, but could only leave a message. I guess the prices are going up after midnight?

What's your Budget?

I'd consider the second hand market, and look at non-module-based, non-bridged offerings.

I'm thinking Anthem MCA 30 or 325; Bryston 8B-ST, etc.

Russ
I am trying to keep it under $2k, but would stretch for an exceptional performer.

Can't believe it escaped my attention, but stumbled onto that Anthem after post this thread. It is definitely high on my list, now.

I am also considering the Odyssey Stratos HT-3 with cap upgrade.

It's not just "watts" to consider with these speakers, but how stable the amp design is - even at low volume.

If you have Amp-A that has enough "watts", and Amp-B that is considerably more capable in dealing with low impedance but has less watts, I'd go with Amp-B.

An AVR should be avoided.

If you have a chance to demo any Martin Logan speakers at a dealer that's friendly enough to swap amps for you just once, then try listening with a great amp at moderate volume, then switch to the AVR of your choice. The difference in the quality of the sound will be very apparent between the AVR and great amp.

I got such an eye opening experience when I sold a pair of The Advent speakers to the manager of the audio store from which I was purchasing a new system. I was floored at how great the sound was from those Advents when paired with a better amp than I had prior to purchasing the new system. The Advents sounded much fuller when properly amped, even at low volume.
I have a refreshed pair of OLA. Just need to tend to the treble switch on one. Eggs are NIB with literal minutes on them.

The Anthem 3 channel is probably what I'll get if I can't hook up an A31 at sale price. Anthem will be at Audio Advice Live in a few weeks, I'll talk to them there.

I have become strong believer in Class D amps [owned Audio Research, Moon, Ayre top models]

If you want lot of power, transparency - go for something based on NC1200 or 1ET7040 modules. Buckeye has quite good reputation in uS.
If you want something good looking - go for Apollon Audio from Slovenia

if you want something good try out the Legacy iV 3 Ultra it’s the best I have found as there are not a lot of 3 channel amps to pick from. But the Legacy us a great choice

I have become strong believer in Class D amps [owned Audio Research, Moon, Ayre top models]

If you want lot of power, transparency - go for something based on NC1200 or 1ET7040 modules. Buckeye has quite good reputation in uS.
If you want something good looking - go for Apollon Audio from Slovenia
Thanks. There is some contention about Class D and the ability to drive big ESLs. Deservedly or not, I'm gonna stick with linear amps, for now. I almost pulled the trigger on the Buckeye NCx 3 channel, but they ran out of modules and the power supply has never been ready. I'd be upset because that was months ago I would have paid.

Emotiva also makes some 3 channel amps I believe should be good.
Thanks. I have an XPA-3 Gen 2 for center/surrounds and XPA-2 Gen 5 for left and right.... 1200 miles away from me, in storage. I moved quickly for work, bringing only what I could fit in my SUV and am now building a system here. They certainly would work just fine, as they did for my JTRs, which are in storage with them.

I'm itching to try something different now, something with a solid 2 ohm rating.

Thanks. I have an XPA-3 Gen 2 for center/surrounds and XPA-2 Gen 5 for left and right.... 1200 miles away from me, in storage. I moved quickly for work, bringing only what I could fit in my SUV and am now building a system here. They certainly would work just fine, as they did for my JTRs, which are in storage with them.

I'm itching to try something different now, something with a solid 2 ohm rating.
They crossed my mind. I appreciate Bill's designs, ever since they were Reel to Real. Automatically figured they are more than I want to spend, but I'll take a look.

My top pick, Parasound, I have multiple emails sent to two addys getting bounced back to me. I've left voice messages with two sales reps, nothing returned.

So, I am leaning hard toward the Anthem MCA 325 or... 525 that has TWO toroids shared between channels. I could use 4 channels to biamp the Classic 9s!

Last edited:
You COULD look at a Bryston 6B-ST (same as 6B-SST) or newer... monster of an amp, but ~$2,000 on used market...

Back