Holiday music! That's right, I said it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no disagreement with it either, until I heard someone make the point, "You replaced Christ with an X?", which was a good point.

This Wikipedia article makes a good counterpoint, in which the X is related to the Greek symbol for Christ, and has long been used by Christians in place of Christ for various purposes.

Me, I call it Christmas but usually write Xmas for brevity. If people of other religions want to refer to that time of year by the proper title according to their beliefs (e.g., Hanukkah), I'm all for that too. Anything but the lame--and to me, mildly offensive--"holiday"! (Mildly offensive because I find the whole concept of political correctness stupid!)

I love Christmas but hate the music. Does that make me a Grinch?
I generally don't like Christmas music (the partridge in a pear tree crap), but there IS some wonderful Christmas music out there, if you don't go by what's played in the shopping malls.

One album I recommend nobody buys is Barbara Streisand's Christmas Album. Much as I like her, I hate the album.

... a few more I enjoy - sweet recording quality on both, and wonderful performances. A joy to listen to IMHO:

Attachments

• beegie.jpg
    beegie.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 51V59DXXSZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51V59DXXSZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 88
I really appreciate this thread! I will be adding to my selections this year based on the above recommendations.

My very favorite Christmas Music is, quite simply:

"Night of Miracles, A Christmas Cantata" by John W. Peterson.

It is an amazing grouping of songs and very brief storytelling. I think this is still available from John W. Peterson Publishing Company, although one may need to email / phone the company.

The music is beautiful, and one can easily get lost in it. Beautiful words, gorgeous music. You will probably have these songs playing through your mind often after you have heard it even once. One caution -- although it was well-recorded, it was live and thus not a studio effort. Nevertheless...

Selections I can recall off the top of my head:

- Night of Miracles
- Sleep, Holy Child
- Shepherds Abiding in Their Fields
- Fear Not for Behold, I Bring You Good Tidings of Great Joy

And about 5 or 6 others, I'll edit this when I can get back to the house and check the CD.

Len,

You've piqued my interest here. I googled this piece, but all I see anywhere are references to the written music. No CD. So you're saying I would need to actually call the publishing company to order the CD? Is there any possible way you could post a link to an mp3 sample of this music?

Thanks,

-Todd

OK guys... here's more and more. Sorry if it's a bit overboard, but I did establish this thread to share recommendations, and Damn It, that's what I intend to do! ;)

Even though it's played to death every single Chrsitmas, year in and year out, relentlessly, to the point of complete psychological breakdown for many otherwise mentally stable, functioning individuals... I'm STILL going to recommend this piece, and especially this recording... because, I LIKE IT (even though the composer himself was noted as considering this just a bit of fluff and by no means a work of any real substance)... man, we are our own worst critics sometimes, no? BTW, this is the ENTIRE ballet on one disc... they crammed 81+ minutes on one CD. Hmmmm, considering the redbook standard specifies 79.8 minutes as the absolute max, that's quite a trick.

OK, so here it is... an, at times, breathtaking performance of the classic. Highly recommended to anyone that's not automatically offended by this work ;) "Valery Gergiev's The Nutcracker". In a word, Fabulous! (or infuriating, depending on your mood).

The second disc is a spritely, jazzy effort by Mr. Benoit, piano guy... I like this whole disc, but especially track 2... a clever mash-up of O Holy Night and Little Drummer Boy. If you're into jazz at all, and don't despise Christmas music, you will like this disc.

Cheers to your good health! :cheers:

Attachments

• 51-VHetzAHL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51-VHetzAHL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 8211419328a0e1658daed110_L__AA300_.jpg
    8211419328a0e1658daed110_L__AA300_.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82
Len,

You've piqued my interest here. I googled this piece, but all I see anywhere are references to the written music. No CD. So you're saying I would need to actually call the publishing company to order the CD? Is there any possible way you could post a link to an mp3 sample of this music?

Thanks,

-Todd

I will work this a bit more assiduously. I already have an email into them. It did take a bit of effort on my part in the past, yet when I did reach them they were just delightful folks with which to deal.

More later!

OK, so here it is... an, at times, breathtaking performance of the classic. Highly recommended to anyone that's not automatically offended by this work ;) "Valery Gergiev's The Nutcracker". In a word, Fabulous! (or infuriating, depending on your mood).
Wow! What an intro to a recommendation; wisely I decided to NOT quote it all! I was going to recommend it, but you beat me to it.

BTW the latest issue of TAS has a recommendation of 10 Christmas disks to buy, one of them being Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors". I bought it many years ago, but listened to it once; it (the vinyl version) has had rave reviews in TAS.

It's been a while since I last listened to it, but I remember enjoying the following CD:

On the Way to Bethlehem
(Music of the Medieval Pilgrim)

by Ensemble Oni Wytars and Ensemble Unicorn, on the Naxos label.

Bernard,

I found, sampled, and ordered "On the Way to Bethlehem". Thanks very much for the recommendation. While checking into that work, I came across this other piece that I found to be absolutely beautiful. To say that the lead vocalist's voice is ethereal and lovely is an obscene understatement.

While this disc is orderable thru Amazon, they do not provide any audio clips. So, as always when Amazon fails to provide clips of obscure pieces that no one would ever expect them to include, I redirect my browser to JPC thusly:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Lumieres-Du-Chant-Byzantin/hnum/5566961

JPC almost always has audio clips of a very wide range of releases (hooray!)... one day I'll have to order something from them even though they're overseas, just to reciprocate.

This CD isn't "Christmasy", but very listenable in a sanctum sanctorum kind of way. I can almost smell the thick smoldering Myrrh <cough cough>

Here's the album cover:

Attachments

• 51Hgt3yx1ZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51Hgt3yx1ZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 81
Wow! What an intro to a recommendation; wisely I decided to NOT quote it all! I was going to recommend it, but you beat me to it.

BTW the latest issue of TAS has a recommendation of 10 Christmas disks to buy, one of them being Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors". I bought it many years ago, but listened to it once; it (the vinyl version) has had rave reviews in TAS.

I have this on vinyl, having bought it many years ago when I read HP's recommendation. It is a very good recording indeed. Unfortuantely my pressing has a noticible warp in it that does effect play at the very beginning of both sides. Stupid Vinyl!

Tim -

you tried laying the vinyl between a couple of pieces of glass and gently heating?

Todd, if you like ethereal voices I hope you are familiar with Emma Kirby. She does an amazing job on the album "A Feather on the Breath of God". Not Christmas music, but enjoyable nontheless.

Todd, if you like ethereal voices I hope you are familiar with Emma Kirby. She does an amazing job on the album "A Feather on the Breath of God". Not Christmas music, but enjoyable nontheless.

I like ethereal almost as much as staight ether ;)

I am indeed quite familiar with Emma, though not biblically. I own a few of her works (e.g. some very nice Handel arias) and shall look into the feather. Thanks for that. In this same line of thought, another angelic voice, IMO, is Barbara Bonney. Her "radiant" take on Mozart's Laudate Dominum is, in a word, sublime! The rest of this album is nothing to expose one's nostrils too either (ether?).:p

Lest we digress too much from the thread's theme... here's the album I speak of:

Attachments

• 51TuzT99RTL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51TuzT99RTL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 127
my pressing has a noticible warp in it that does effect play at the very beginning of both sides. Stupid Vinyl!

Tim,

I think Santa needs to bring you a 'Perf Ring' for your VPI !

Bernard,

In a very rare scenario, I was unable to exploit the JPC website to listen to samples of the Kirby/Hildegard_v_B album you recommended. Regardless, I trust your recommendation (and that of twenty-some-odd others on Amazon) that this is a very special recording. So, "it's in the mail" as they say.

Ego gratias ago vos

Tim -

you tried laying the vinyl between a couple of pieces of glass and gently heating?

I have not Lance. I burned pizza last night for dinner. Given my advanced age and the corrilary between said and "black pizza" (as Dave would call it), I'm not too keen to do so. Do you have a "recipe" to follow?

More offerings... No basket passing though. How great is that?

I've owned these two instrumental CDs for several years now. They both get plenty of play-time annually. Great sound, lovely arrangements, unique and welcome music (IMO). Great for when you're just about to open that second bottle of wine with your mate, the fire is crackling etc, etc... all that corny snowed-in romance stuff (which is actually very nice if you find yourself in the particular situation with your significant other, or other other... but let's stop there)

Attachments

• 51b-BH4AS3L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51b-BH4AS3L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 41FcUhnS8YL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41FcUhnS8YL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 125
Winterlude is some good stuff. Rocking to TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) right now! LOVE them! They are SOOO GOOD!

Back