Holiday music! That's right, I said it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
I liked the Sunday morning music thread... so I thought "why not the same thing but with Christmas music given the time of year"... and then I thought "oh, better not list this as Christmas music in the thread title, might offend someone"... and then I thought "No, tough sugar-cookies!... I want this to be about outstanding Christmas music - Vinyl, or CD/SACD, or FLAC 24/96 downloads - that sort of thing"... but then I figured "Don't want to seem like a jackass, well, anymore than usual... so might as well just default to Holiday in the thread title... man, this p.c. stuff is for the birds. Let's just get to the core issue: really, really good music"... OK, this is me actually typing now, no longer in "thought mode"... so here goes my first (of several) recommendations for insanely enjoyable Christmas music, er Holiday.... no, Christmas Music!

Magnum Mysterium - Grex Vocalis | Carl Hogset (2L26SACD)

A remarkable compilation of traditional and Scadanavian choral pieces for the yuletide season. Impeccable recording & profound performance by Grex Vocalis. I absolutely LOVE this disc, especially played on my 2-channel system via McIntosh MCD301 SACD playback. You want harmonic chills galore? You want this disc!

Attachments

• Grex.jpg
    Grex.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for NOT being politically correct. This "holiday season" stuff is crapola. It's Christmas, so let's call it that; also, let's not call it Xmas.

I take it that you just want Christmas music recommendations, regardless of how good (or not?) the recording is.

I have two recommendations:

"Christmas in Vienna" by Plácido Domingo, Diana Ross, and José Carreras, with the VSO. Standard fare, but performed well, and a good recording.

"Memorabilia Navideña" by Tish Hinojosa. On the lighter side, for kids, but I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks for NOT being politically correct. This "holiday season" stuff is crapola. It's Christmas, so let's call it that; also, let's not call it Xmas.

I take it that you just want Christmas music recommendations, regardless of how good (or not?) the recording is.

I have two recommendations:

"Christmas in Vienna" by Plácido Domingo, Diana Ross, and José Carreras, with the VSO. Standard fare, but performed well, and a good recording.

"Memorabilia Navideña" by Tish Hinojosa. On the lighter side, for kids, but I enjoy it.

Exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. I'll check both of those discs out. Thanks Bernard, and if you have any more, pls do tell.

Cheers,

-tv

No Christmas celebration is complete without some Mannheim Steamroller going on in the background.

Two words: Andy Williams.

Ahhh yes. Andy Williams. I grew up watching his Christmas specials and have at least a few of his CDs kicking around here somewhere. Good memories. Funny story about AW... last Christmas I was on the phone with one of the guys on my team at work. We got to talking about Andy and he mentioned he heard Andy had expired. I said "uh uh, he's still kicking". This quickly turned into a bet - that bet being one case of any beer on the market. Took me about 30 seconds to find an article proving that Andy's vitals had not yet flatlined. Which beer did I request?...

Only THE BEST hefeweissbier in the world (much to my co-workers chagrin)

Attachments

• dsc02459.jpg
    dsc02459.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 205
Two more:

"Star of Wonder" on Reference Recordings. Amazing recording. You can almost smell the candles in the church!

"Cantate Domino" on Proprius, by Oscars Mottetchor. This is the old audiophile standard. Another good recording.

Fortunately I have both on vinyl.

Two more:

"Star of Wonder" on Reference Recordings. Amazing recording. You can almost smell the candles in the church!

"Cantate Domino" on Proprius, by Oscars Mottetchor. This is the old audiophile standard. Another good recording.

Fortunately I have both on vinyl.

Hey, no Fair! I was gonna recommend Cantate Domino. Oh well, we'll consider that two votes then for that reference piece, which really is awe inspiring. Star of Wonder you say? I just ordered it. Thanks.

Here's another one as well - really sumptuous recording. The depth of sound stage and pin-point imaging (especially of the background drum beats in the opening track) are really something special. The vocal harmonies and general agility of this singing group is something to behold. Very fluid and very "right". Well worth it to add this one to anyone's collection (IMO):

Christmas with the Dale Warland Singers (Gothic G49208)

Attachments

• DWechoes.jpg
    DWechoes.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Charlie Brown Christmas
December - George Winston
Winter Solstice - Windham Hill Sampler

all spinning big 10" reels on the reVox.

Charlie Brown Christmas
December - George Winston
Winter Solstice - Windham Hill Sampler

all spinning big 10" reels on the reVox.

I just picked up "A Charlie Brown Christmas" remastered to SACD - really, really nice! They also reissued "A Boy Named Charlie Brown - Vince Guaraldi Trio" on SACD - also excellent. IN fact, there's a tight little riff in "Baseball Theme" that is now my new ringtone... I'm the coolest dad in town (NOT).

I really appreciate this thread! I will be adding to my selections this year based on the above recommendations.

My very favorite Christmas Music is, quite simply:

"Night of Miracles, A Christmas Cantata" by John W. Peterson.

It is an amazing grouping of songs and very brief storytelling. I think this is still available from John W. Peterson Publishing Company, although one may need to email / phone the company.

The music is beautiful, and one can easily get lost in it. Beautiful words, gorgeous music. You will probably have these songs playing through your mind often after you have heard it even once. One caution -- although it was well-recorded, it was live and thus not a studio effort. Nevertheless...

Selections I can recall off the top of my head:

- Night of Miracles
- Sleep, Holy Child
- Shepherds Abiding in Their Fields
- Fear Not for Behold, I Bring You Good Tidings of Great Joy

And about 5 or 6 others, I'll edit this when I can get back to the house and check the CD.

Many years ago in Encinitas, CA I bought a CD called "Samba Nights" by a local musician, and really enjoy it. At that time another CD by the same guy caught my eye, but for some reason I never got round to buying it. It's called "Gloria - An Acoustic Guitar Christmas", and here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005B6WV/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1289871014&sr=8-2

Todd, if you buy it please let me know what you think of it.

So say we all (although I have no disagreement with Xmas)!

It's been a while since I last listened to it, but I remember enjoying the following CD:

On the Way to Bethlehem
(Music of the Medieval Pilgrim)

by Ensemble Oni Wytars and Ensemble Unicorn, on the Naxos label.

Some great recommendations guys... and very little I'm familiar with. I got me some googlin' to do.

I'm very pleased some of you find real value in this thread. It's already lead to some great discoveries for me (thanks Bernard)... with more to come I'm sure!

further recommendations include...

Christmas goes Baroque I and II (Naxos)... some very interesting re-arrangements of Christmas classics in the baroque style (obviously). I find this disc, as well as it's sequel, most enjoyable. Good quality recordings if not the utmost in audiophilia. If you're not a baroque music lover, this may not be your cup of tea, but I still recommend sampling these on Amazon... you may find that your heart's grown 3 sizes or more. ;) Plus they're almost free from Amazon Marketplace (well, almost free plus shipping).

Attachments

• 95ed1363ada00c0d8544f010_L.jpg
    95ed1363ada00c0d8544f010_L.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 51kg6ibEHkL__SS500_.jpg
    51kg6ibEHkL__SS500_.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 103
Back