Holiday music! That's right, I said it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other ensembles to consider, that I like, but have not heard their Christmas stuff:

- The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
- Celtic Woman

If you like him, there's Pavarotti's "O Holy Night", which I do have, but I don't care for tenors (or male voices in general).

BTW one song in particular that I like on the Tish Hinojosa CD I recommended is "La Nanita Nana". There are several different versions on YouTube.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm, these girls seem to elicit a certain anatomical shift involving redirected blood-flow patterns... for me anyway :D

That Chloe's voice is astounding!
I agree, on both counts! I saw them live a few months ago, here in Ottawa. I thought it was really strange, but when taking a bow at the end Mairead refused to hold the hands of the other performers; Chloe was not too pleased at that.

Speaking of Chloe, I really love her "Panis Angelicus" at the Slane Castle concert, and that reminds me that one year at Midnight Mass it was performed as a duet on a violin and cello. I was in heaven! I have not been able to find a recording.

I agree, on both counts! I saw them live a few months ago, here in Ottawa. I thought it was really strange, but when taking a bow at the end Mairead refused to hold the hands of the other performers; Chloe was not too pleased at that.

Speaking of Chloe, I really love her "Panis Angelicus" at the Slane Castle concert, and that reminds me that one year at Midnight Mass it was performed as a duet on a violin and cello. I was in heaven! I have not been able to find a recording.

A little Celtic Catfight aye? If only they would mud-wrestle... sigh...well, one can dream. I saw them as well a few years back at our beloved Merrill Auditorium here in Portland (ME). The production values of the concert were beyond excellent. Sound, setting, performances... all well worth the price of admission, and then some. I believe I own most of their group CDs and DVDs (and yes, the Slane Castle DVD is just wonderful) as well as a few releases from the individual girls. Of those individual releases, Chloe's here is the best IMO:

Attachments

• c699c0a398a05b8a8d4bd110_L__AA300_.jpg
    c699c0a398a05b8a8d4bd110_L__AA300_.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 115

Thanks Bernard,

Really nice music... that combo (2-neck guitjo and cello) is remarkably simpatico. Their non-seasonal efforts are lovely as well.

I suppose this means reciprocation is in order. Given my love for 18th century music, I found it impossible not to obtain this collection. A whimsical journey through "what if" land... with some arrangements showing significant compositional prowess (others, perhaps not quite as much). But all very enjoyable nonetheless.

Cheers

Attachments

• 61eNIJwMCUL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61eNIJwMCUL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 91
This moved me to tears... the confluence of Handel's genius, the spirit of the season, and when a group of people set out to do something uplifting... really worth sharing IMO. Cheers!

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=9EM29CNU

(btw, I'm not religious - but I do have a very deep appreciation for the plethora of amazing art, music, and positive activity throughout the world that's been inspired by religion in it's various forms. And yes, I know religion is blamed, and in many cases rightfully so, for much of the world's turmoil... But let's not allow this thread to turn into that debate.)

Last edited:
Todd, that was worth a standing ovation, but they did not get one.

I'm not relgious either, but my parents were (Roman Catholic), and as a kid I HAD to go to Benediction every Sunday evening. One thing I used to really enjoy was that at the very end a lone baritone used to sing the line that began, "Laudate Domino, omnes gentes" (think I got the spelling right). For me that was magical. That we were all standing then made it more solemn.

Todd, that was worth a standing ovation, but they did not get one.

I'm not relgious either, but my parents were (Roman Catholic), and as a kid I HAD to go to Benediction every Sunday evening. One thing I used to really enjoy was that at the very end a lone baritone used to sing the line that began, "Laudate Domino, omnes gentes" (think I got the spelling right). For me that was magical. That we were all standing then made it more solemn.

Sounds like we think very much alike, although your Latin skills are many light-years beyond my own. Despite the sunday school mandate, I have too have some warm memories of my early church days (methodist in my pre and early teens, before the inevitable revolt). I recall being 8 or 9, singing in the youth choir at Christmas with the candles lit and soft organ music wafting through the assemblage. Formative years for me (at least from a music appreciation standpoint).

Peace be with you :)

How'bout this little gem from Pink Martini? Traditional songs with a fresh interpretation a la "Pink Martini".

Attachments

• Pink Martini CD5.jpg
    Pink Martini CD5.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 70
How'bout this little gem from Pink Martini? Traditional songs with a fresh interpretation a la "Pink Martini".

Great recommendation! I'd never heard of this group before but just listening to the samples on Amazon, it's clear they're something really special. I dig the global over-arching feel as well.

Thanks Spike

Great recommendation! I'd never heard of this group before but just listening to the samples on Amazon, it's clear they're something really special. I dig the global over-arching feel as well.

Thanks Spike
If you like Pink Martini, listen to "La Soledad" from their very first disk. It's an amazing arrangement.

Thanks Bernard for that PM recommendation.

Here's one I've played once or twice recently... I think she's somewhat polarizing - people either seem to get her or they want to forget her. I would like to do unspeakable things with her... but that's outside forum policy (and federal law too, most likely)...

Attachments

• 51q2uXBRUuL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51q2uXBRUuL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks Bernard for that PM recommendation.

Here's one I've played once or twice recently... I think she's somewhat polarizing - people either seem to get her or they want to forget her. I would like to do unspeakable things with her... but that's outside forum policy (and federal law too, most likely)...

Maybe crawl all over her.:D

Yeah, I think I have those thoughts too, sans religion.

How about ELP Father Christmas, in Hi-Resoluion........you guys are going all Christmassy on me.

Todd, I got the Pink Martini CD from Amazon today; what a delightful album!

I also got the Angèle Dubeau. It's not quite as approachable, but needs more listening to be appreciated.

The third CD in the package was Yo-Yo Ma and Friends' "Songs of Peace and Joy". As always, his non-classical albums take some getting used to. His friends here are Diana Krall, James Taylor. Alison Krauss, Renée Fleming, and a whole bunch of other famous names.

Todd, I got the Pink Martini CD from Amazon today; what a delightful album!

I also got the Angèle Dubeau. It's not quite as approachable, but needs more listening to be appreciated.

The third CD in the package was Yo-Yo Ma and Friends' "Songs of Peace and Joy". As always, his non-classical albums take some getting used to. His friends here are Diana Krall, James Taylor. Alison Krauss, Renée Fleming, and a whole bunch of other famous names.

Hi Bernard,

So what do you think of Angele's Christmas music? I also picked up another of her CDs, "Un Conte de Fees"... really beautiful stuff.

Here's one for you ... if you read the words "Rankin Bass" and aren't immediately transported back to childhood, recalling any number of wonderful tunes from the various claymation and animated specials of the 60s and 70s... well, that would be tragic.

Attachments

• 51tW8W6ZCzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51tW8W6ZCzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 134
Hi Bernard,

So what do you think of Angele's Christmas music? I also picked up another of her CDs, "Un Conte de Fees"... really beautiful stuff.

Here's one for you ... if you read the words "Rankin Bass" and aren't immediately transported back to childhood, recalling any number of wonderful tunes from the various claymation and animated specials of the 60s and 70s... well, that would be tragic.
Todd, I need to listen some more to Angèle's Christmas CD. I think "Un Conte de Fees" (Fairytale) is on it's way to me from California, as a gift from my sister-in-law. If you haven't yet bought Angèle's "Lullabies and Forbidden Games", you should - for the Brahms' Lullaby.

"Rankin Bass" doesn't mean anything to me as my childhood was spent in East Africa, not in North America. Speaking of which, I'm looking for a Christmas Carol in Swahili; I used to hear it as a kid.

Latest posts

Back