Holiday music! That's right, I said it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Rankin Bass" doesn't mean anything to me....

OH.... MY.... GOD! This is beyond tragic. And I don't think listening to the CD would help since there's nothing for you to refer back to. There's extreme sadness, and then there's this. (of course I'm only half-joking)

On the flip side though, you've got an entire set of childhood Christmas memories I couldn't even imagine. Let me know if you uncover that carol in Swahili.

Cheers

Todd, sorry to hijack your thread, but this IS about Christmas:

Three guys die at Christmastime and go up to heaven, where they are told that to enter the Pearly Gates they have to each produce an item pertaining to Christmas. The first guy comes up with some holly, and is waved right in; the second guy comes up with some mistletoe, and is also waved right in. The third guy produces a pair of panties. When asked what panties have to do with Christmas, he responds, "They're Carol's".

Todd, sorry to hijack your thread, but this IS about Christmas:

Three guys die at Christmastime and go up to heaven, where they are told that to enter the Pearly Gates they have to each produce an item pertaining to Christmas. The first guy comes up with some holly, and is waved right in; the second guy comes up with some mistletoe, and is also waved right in. The third guy produces a pair of panties. When asked what panties have to do with Christmas, he responds, "They're Carol's".

:ROFL: Nice! Hadn't heard that one. Allow me to return the favor (this one courtesy of my Mother - seriously!) :eek:

Four nuns were standing in line at the gates of heaven. Peter asks the first if she has ever sinned. "Well, once I looked at a man's penis," she said. "Put some of this holy water on your eyes and you may enter heaven," Peter told her. Peter then asked the second nun if she had ever sinned. "Well, once I held a man's penis," she replied. "Put your hand in this holy water and you may enter heaven," he said. Just then the fourth nun pushed ahead of the third nun. Peter asked her, "Why did you push ahead in line?" She said, "Because I want to gargle before she sits in it!".... ba-dump-pshhh.

Attachments

• Salas.jpg
    Salas.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 108
Bernard (et al)

Here's an interesting selection. If you have even the slightest affinity for female three-part harmony (reminiscent of 40s groups like the Andrews Sisters) - but updated and nicely recorded... check out these ladies. Listen carefully and you'll hear their British accents surface on occasion which, in my view, really adds some special colour to this fine set of Christmas tunes. Their more secular releases are a whole-lotta-fun too.

Attachments

• 51BgITYdTdL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51BgITYdTdL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 99
A Christmas Carol to remember

While not strictly music per se, there may be (to my estimation anyway) no finer variation on "A Christmas Carol" than that of one Edmund Black Adder. If anyone reading this does not already own this spectacular DVD box set, I urge you to rush out madly, shoving aside toddlers, seniors, and the disabled alike, to purchase it - NOW!

Voted one of Britain's all-time funniest series (and even the most jaded anglophile here in the states would be hard-pressed to disagree) - you would do yourself a dire disservice by choosing to ignore this. I find each and every one of the series episodes to be jewels of comedic brilliance - unparalleled in television "comedy" of that era, or since. Sure, folks will argue and disagree but, to me, it simply doesn't get any better than this.

Within this series there are far too many instances of classic repartee to even consider a "favorite", but I am fond of this one particular line in the Christmas special (a smile curls across my lips just reading it over again now):

Ebenezer Blackadder: Baldrick, I want you to go out and buy a turkey so large you'd think it's mother had been rogered by an omnibus.

And this one as well from the first TV series (oh heck, I'll admit it, this is indeed one of my all time favs):

Mother Superior: Let us just go over the facts again. Having been appointed archbishop, you found that all your interest lay in the beauty of your vestments.

Edmund: Alas, the fine embroidery.

Mother Superior: And unable to resist the slide into depravity, you began to dress up in the habit of a nun.

Edmund: I couldn’t resist the texture of the hessian under things.

Attachments

• 61KGmSYWL9L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61KGmSYWL9L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
+1 for ELP's "I believe in Father Christmas" - 'Tho I have the LP

Glad someone else likes it JMAUSGP!

Last post... for this year anyway

Here's my final recommendation for 2010 - found this on JPC's website (www.jpc.de) while researching something entirely different. I've always enjoyed pretty much anything and everything Stephen Fry has been involved with, so when I saw this selection, I had to go for it. And upon first listening, boy I'm glad I did! I got to listen to the whole thing non-stop last night returning home as I was stuck in a weather induced traffic back-up (not 2 miles from my house... D'oh!). Anyway, this CD is a brilliant mix of mostly seldom heard tunes. Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's "Christmas Overture" is wonderful, as is a selection of the same name by Otto Nicolai. And John Carmichael's "Sleighride to Thredbo" is great too (short by oh so sweet). One last note, Stephen Fry's reading of the classic "Twas", with perfect accompaniment by the BBC Concert Orchestra, is worth the price of admission all on it's own.

So there you have it. :)

I very much appreciated all the great recommendations which helped me round out my seasonal selections - as I hope some of my recommendations did for some of you as well. Cheers and Merry Christmas! :music:

-Todd

Attachments

• 0747313033171.jpg
    0747313033171.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Todd,

Thank you, too, for the great recommendations.

Merry Christmas to you, and to everyone else on this site.

Bernard

While not strictly music per se, there may be (to my estimation anyway) no finer variation on "A Christmas Carol" than that of one Edmund Black Adder.

Check out Red Dwarf. Very, very good too. Did it make it Stateside?

Also, what the hell did you guys do to The Office? A terrible, terrible crime committed:devil:

Check out Red Dwarf. Very, very good too. Did it make it Stateside?

Also, what the hell did you guys do to The Office? A terrible, terrible crime committed:devil:

Red Dwarf has made the trip across the pond, yes. As for The Office, while I agree Ricky G is hard to beat, our own Steve C is no slouch in the ha-ha department either... we're all coming to grips with the fact that Steve's leaving the show (because now, it's REALLY doomed).

One of the better (IMO) Brit-coms I've seen is "The IT Crowd". Absolutely hysterical! NBC scared the hell out of us by threatening to bring that one over here. Thank the comedy gods that deal fell through. NBC would have massacred it.

As an aside - I'm also a HUGE "Flight of the Conchords" fan... but this commentary is starting to sound like it belongs in a different thread.

Top 10 Christmas Songs of All Time

Yesterday at work someone sent out a request asking for everyone's top 10 list of Christmas songs. Here is the list I sent, but like most, I had a hard time narrowing it down to 10.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra- An Angel Returned
Christmas Sarajevo 12/24
An Angel Came Down
On This Christmas Day
Sting- Gabriel's Message
Arthur Fiedler- Carol of The Bells
Dean Martin-I'll Be Home for Christmas
Nat King Cole- The Christmas Song
Bing Crosby-White Christmas
Oscar's Motet Choir-Stile Nacht
Bonus Songs: Michael Ruff & Flim & The BB's -New Snow
Lindsey Buckingham- Holiday Road