Holiday music! That's right, I said it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... a few more I enjoy - sweet recording quality on both, and wonderful performances. A joy to listen to IMHO:

Huge BeeGie Adair fan here Todd, I've got all her stuff, I would trully love to venture to her club in Nashville to take in one of her Holiday performances. She's no 'spring chicken' so ....time's a wastin' !!

More offerings... No basket passing though./QUOTE]Hey, I like your twisted sense of humour.

Twisted? Me? :angel:

To keep the Christmas ball (balls) rolling...

Here's another recommendation that I highly, er, recommend:

This is the COMPLETE Decca Christmas songbook of Bing... all of it on a double disc. Absolute shite recording quality (can I say that since it sounds european?), but the content should warm the heart of virtually any baby-boomer who watched Bing on the tube growing up. Remember that uber-strange duet with Bowie? Thankfully omitted on this release.

Attachments

• 61iwLgeBiPL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    61iwLgeBiPL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 116
Huge BeeGie Adair fan here Todd, I've got all her stuff, I would trully love to venture to her club in Nashville to take in one of her Holiday performances. She's no 'spring chicken' so ....time's a wastin' !!

Hi Dave (and no worries, I won't inadvertently call you Mike ;))

I only recently discovered Beegie, but have to agree, she's wonderful. At first I thought "kinda muzakish", but upon closer observation, that woman can tickle the ivories in amazing ways. Plus, she plays piano really well too.

I would also like to see her live (alive) at some point.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have not Lance. I burned pizza last night for dinner. Given my advanced age and the corrilary between said and "black pizza" (as Dave would call it), I'm not too keen to do so. Do you have a "recipe" to follow?

i haven't had to do it for years, but i think there are some recipes around. i don't remember too much heat needed, and i remember reading about leaving it in the sun to warm for a few minutes (only a few) and then letting the glass/LP/glass sandwich cool down out of the sun.

Wikihow has a recipe with a stove as does radiodismuke but many of these recipes caveat that since the record is already unplayable there is nothing to lose.

personally i used a record clamp on the Oracle before i ditched the whole HT/media room.

burnt pizza. hmmmm. not a good sign.

I've said a quiet prayer in observance of the passing of your recently cremated pizza, Tim. My sincere condolences.

Now, blackened pies aside (although potentially helpful in emergency plaque removel situations), here're another couple of recommendations.

First is a jaunty string quartet that takes on many'a yuletide classic as well as a few less well known. Perhaps mic'd a tad too distant for my taste (I like up close and personal when it comes to small ensembles), but still a very clean and tidy recording.

Second is all-electronica but a very tasteful and wonderfully clever and creative presentation. This one is truely ear-catching (in a good way). Keith Foley deserves some sort of public accolade, key to a city or some such, for this production, IMHO. This is also an "old" digital recording - DDD all the way, but produced waaaay back in 1985... so it gives us a glimpse of digital in it's infancy (essentially) back when CDs were still novel and DDD was just a young whipersnapper. This may have some of you harumphing since early DDD was often ear-torture... but this one works. At least for me.

(p.s. Bernard, "Star of Wonder" arrived today. I shall engage shortly)

Attachments

• 51MMS0PTS3L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51MMS0PTS3L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 51QFwe2hWqL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51QFwe2hWqL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 84
Todd, many years ago I heard a Cantate Domino that was different from the one with which we are familiar, but can't remember whom it was by. I did a search on Amazon, and came up with a large number if hits, which you may wish to investigate.

Todd, many years ago I heard a Cantate Domino that was different from the one with which we are familiar, but can't remember whom it was by. I did a search on Amazon, and came up with a large number if hits, which you may wish to investigate.

I may indeed wish. Merci Bernard

Len,

You've piqued my interest here. I googled this piece, but all I see anywhere are references to the written music. No CD. So you're saying I would need to actually call the publishing company to order the CD? Is there any possible way you could post a link to an mp3 sample of this music?

Thanks,

-Todd

OK, here's the update. Yes, one has to actually contact them (PITA, I know).
It appears (please see email exchange, below) that one can request a "sampler" from them, which may be something you might wish to do.

The actual production quality is actually quite a bit better than I had remembered (I just listened to this CD again yesterday, and, as usual, it once again moved me to tears -- a real rarity, for sure!). It still carries my unreserved recommendation.

The actual segments are:

- Night of Miracles (Opening)
- Every Valley Shall be Filled
- Behold, A Virgin Shall Conceive
- And We Beheld His Glory
- No Room
- Sleep, Holy Child
- And There Were in the Same Country
- Glory to God
- We Have Come to Worship Thee
- We Are the Wisemen
- Go and Search Diligently
- When They Saw the Star
- Night of Miracles (Closing

And here is the Email exchange (latest email first, so you may want to scroll down and work your way back up to make the most sense of all this). Very interested in what you decide.

Hi Len

Believe me, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions — you've put forward some excellent ideas. Actually, we are very familiar with what Amazon and others are doing — and I'm sure it works exceedingly well for them. We have even reviewed this very thing for ourselves . . . and at some point, we may still opt to go in that direction.

However, as you may or may not know, our situation is quite a bit different from those suppliers. In fact, we are no longer an active publisher/producer — nor have we been for about 20 years. Our business now is really copyright administration — exclusively managing the copyrights of John W. Peterson. Most of what we do now entails the granting and issuing of licenses, contracts, agreements and other miscellaneous permissions for a variety of uses — and to a host of users from individuals and churches to other large companies and music producer/publishers. The "product" side of what we do (the CDs, etc.) is really ancillary to all of this. It's intended as a convenience for those clients and customers who are looking for product they can no longer easily find. And, because most of the product items we offer are produced on an "as-ordered" basis, we have decided that it works best when we have an interactive relationship with those customers. Interestingly, the majority of requests we still get for "product" are from customers who are already familiar with the writings of JWP. However, from time to time, that's not the case. So, when this happens, we do have a downloadable "sampler" that we can make available for most of the cantatas and musicals when requested.

Well, Len, that's kind of it in a nutshell — hope it makes a little sense. But again . . . I do want to thank you for your interest and concern — and for taking the time to write and share your thoughts and ideas.

Take care.
--
Tom Catzere
John W. Peterson Music
6501 E. Greenway Parkway
Suite 103-435
Scottsdale, Arizona 85254
www.johnwpetersonmusic.com

Len List wrote:
Hi Tom

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.

Since I sent the last email, an additional situation has developed.

I am a member of a forum that is dedicated primarily to Martin-Logan speakers (really, really superb sound). We also have expanded discussion items, and a couple of days ago a thread was started regarding exceptional Christmas Music. I, of course, had to chime in about the Night of Miracles CD. This in turn has triggered some inquiries regarding how to obtain (I will share the info you sent to me, if that is all right with you), and how they might be able to listen to a brief sample of the CD, like one can do, for example, on Amazon.

Tom, I think it is fair to say that it would be quite nice to add this feature to the site. Also, there is no easy way for one to simply select, say, "Night of MIracles" and then find payment information quickly and easily. While I enjoy this music well enough to go through the process of contacting you and using the process specified, I fear others may not. I see comments from time to time on the internet with people seeking ways to find this music, or the words, etc. It would be nice to have these options, but, of course, you know your business better than I. It is just that (IMHO) this music is so phenomenal that it should be shared with as many people as possible. And one way to help that along would be to make it easy for folks to listen to a sample and easy to order items they would like.

Any possibilities?

Thanks again!

Len

PS I will be sending along my order shortly...

On Nov 16, 2010, at 11:19 AM, John W. Peterson Music wrote:

Hi Len,

Nice to hear from you again. Yes, they're still available and the price is the still the same — $20.00. In case you no longer have the payment information, here it is once again. You may send a check or money order made payable to John W. Peterson Music Company to the address below. Or, even though we are not set up to process direct credit card payments, we can accept online PayPal payments (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or eCheck). If you choose to use PayPal, you may send your payment to [email protected] — using the "Send Money" tab in your PayPal account.

If you do not have a PayPal account, we can e-mail you a PayPal Invoice. After receiving the invoice, you can make a credit card payment even though you do not have a PayPal account. If your e-mail address has never been previously linked to a PayPal account, you will be able to click on any of the payment provisions on the invoice and it will open a payment page where you can enter your credit card information.
--
Tom Catzere
John W. Peterson Music
6501 E. Greenway Parkway
Suite 103-435
Scottsdale, Arizona 85254
www.johnwpetersonmusic.com

Len List wrote:
Is this CD still available? If so, how much? I ordered several 2-3 years ago and gave them as early Christmas gifts.

I need three, if possible.

Thanks!

Len

OK, here's the update. Yes, one has to actually contact them (PITA, I know).
It appears (please see email exchange, below) that one can request a "sampler" from them, which may be something you might wish to do.

Well done Len!!

So, while perhaps not quite as painless as ordering through Amazon, their paypal option is still pretty straight forward. One thing Mr. Catzere (interesting name phonetically) didn't specify is how to access the downloadable sampler. I checked here but no hot-links to any audio clips. I suppose a follow-on email to him would clarify the process.

Well, thanks so much Len for the follow-thru! Much appreciated and, just as I plan to do, I hope others on the forum leverage your kind effort to their own benefit (and perhaps through gifts, the benefit of an even wider audience).

Cheers,

-Todd

Hi Todd

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I got the impression that to access the "downloadable sampler" that direct contact would be needed.

FWIW, Tom is usually pretty good in responding within a day or two. Best of luck with your pursuit of all this. Again, I can pretty well guarantee that you will enjoy this music.

Len

Last edited:
Todd, if you want to hear Christmas music at its very best, forget about all this hi-fi crap and take yourself to San Antonio, to the Christmas Pageant on the Riverwalk. My wife and I were there 10 years ago, and were really impressed. It is a Southwestern Christmas, with a very Spanish theme. We bought a VHS tape of past pageants, and watch it a few times every Christmas season. It warms our hearts every time. We vowed to return soon, but other commitments (and finances) took priority.

It was funny, but when listening to one of the songs on the tape I thought I heard the word chocolate in the Spanish part. It piqued my interest as I am also a foodie and a huge chocolate lover (and amateur cook/baker), so I listened carefully to the English section of the song. The words were, "Maria, Maria, come quickly and see. They're eating all the chocolate, there'll be none left for me". Most enjoyable.

On another note, I was talking to a guy in a choir who told me that one year at Midnight Mass they sang, "Happy Birthday to Jesus", and at first they got looks of surprise, but then the whole congregation joined in.

Hi Todd

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I got the impression that to access the "downloadable sampler" that direct contact would be needed.

FWIW, Tom is usually pretty good in responding within a day or two. Best of luck with your pursuit of all this. Again, I can pretty well guarantee that you will enjoy this music.

Len

Hi Len,

Here's the email I sent to Mr. Cats-ear:

Hello,

An acquaintance of mine recently sent you an inquiry asking if there are any downloadable audio clips of the CD "Night of Miracles". Your response to him indicated that there may indeed be an option for this. Please advise. I am quite interested in this music after hearing my friend's recommendation and I would likely buy one or more of the CDs upon hearing the samples. Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Regards,

-Todd Vafiades

Todd, if you want to hear Christmas music at its very best, forget about all this hi-fi crap

I absolutely LOVE your opening line here!!!

To that end, rest assured that I make it a point to attend live performances when possible. My kids are all very good vocalists (my eldest professionally so in theatrical productions). We have in fact been referred to as the Von Trapps of northern New England. Although I must confess I do not secretly covet the maid (not that I'll admit to anyway).

That aside, we have a lovely music hall here, Merril Auditorium, with a fabulous organ ("The Mighty Kochmere") and a beautifully restored hall. Every year they produce an excellent program "The Magic of Christmas" with full orchestration, guest singers, audience participation... the works. Very fun for all ages. Lest you imagine my preference to hold up in my shadowy, dank, Dickensian parlor with but a few crumbs of bread and a Bah Humbug to anything not electronically reproduced. Hey... why did the bell just ring by itself? ;)

Attachments

• page5_4.jpg
    page5_4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Hi Todd

Len

Here's the link to the music sampler from Peterson... worked fine for me, hopefully will for anyone interested as well. Very nice stuff... the vocals are tremendous!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://rcpt.yousendit.com/992070293/5a6cbd8f15176476762e1d4e89a9489f
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here's the link to the music sampler from Peterson... worked fine for me, hopefully will for anyone interested as well. Very nice stuff... the vocals are tremendous!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://rcpt.yousendit.com/992070293/5a6cbd8f15176476762e1d4e89a9489f
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Todd - Worked great for me, too. Apologize for blanking out and not getting this for you myself. Thanks for the fine email to Tom.

I must add that, while representative, it merely "scratched the surface," so to speak, of this terrific music. Like you, I do hope others will give this a listen.

Glad Tom was quick to assist.

Len

What a Great Thread! Certainly going to keep me hopping to gather these recommendations. Thanks to all!

I have not actually heard it, but there is a CD called, "Noel/Christmas" by a fabulous violinist called Angèle Dubeau (a Canadian). I expect, though, that it is really good as I am familiar with her other stuff.

On a CD called, "Lullabies and Forbidden Games" she does an amazing job of Brahms' Lullaby. I first heard it in a record store on a cold, blustery Ottawa day, and suddenly it was cold no more.

I have not actually heard it, but there is a CD called, "Noel/Christmas" by a fabulous violinist called Angèle Dubeau (a Canadian). I expect, though, that it is really good as I am familiar with her other stuff.

On a CD called, "Lullabies and Forbidden Games" she does an amazing job of Brahms' Lullaby. I first heard it in a record store on a cold, blustery Ottawa day, and suddenly it was cold no more.

Bernard,

You are jam-packed with great recommendations! Assuming Angele released only one CD with the word Noel in the title, I have to assume this is it. The sample tracks are beautiful (through my audioengine 2 computer speakers anyway). Her depth of emotion comes through in spades. Guess which CD I'll be ordering next?

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Angele-Dubeau-La-Pieta-Noel/hnum/1141523

I'm having second thoughts about having started this thread... didn't know it was going to impact my wallet out here in the real world ;)

Seriously, my Visa was frozen by their faud department because of one of the CDs I found and could only order from a foriegn source... turns out any overseas charge gets stepped on by the overlords. Oh well... a quick phone call later and I'm back to my usual spastic-plastic behavior.

OK... so on the off-chance any of you were wondering "why so long before another indescribably delicious recommendation?"... wonder no longer.

There's Polyphony and then there's this! Stile Antico - Puer natus est (Tudor Music for Advent). Stunning harmonic textures weaving a tapestry of sublime tonality. Robustly recommended!

Attachments

• 61ibWHIrRCL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61ibWHIrRCL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 117
Todd, here's something else to chase: The Choir of King's College, Cambridge, has Christmas music that I have not heard, but I have no doubt that it is outstanding as their music for Easter is superb - you owe it to yourself to buy their Allegri Miserere. The choir is extremely well-known.

Last edited:
Todd, here's something else to chase: The Choir of King's College, Cambridge, has Christmas music that I have not heard, but I have no doubt that it is outstanding as their music for Easter is superb - you owe it to yourself to buy their Allegri Miserere. The choir is extremely well-known.

Ah yes. I am quite familiar with TCoKC as I own some of their magic already. Thanks for the pointer. This is a particularly beautiful collection of Carols:

Attachments

• 51YMz9kL9NL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51YMz9kL9NL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Back