Disaster srikes/blew amps in Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrat's shoe on getting your 'babys' back in order, I'm confused as to why all 4 amps would go poof, maybe Jim at ML or others could expand?

And that CJ should get a check up and power something else, like a nice pair of JBL's, it's a great amp, not a door stop, please save it!

Stuwee, the amp that fried the internal amps was ( I toss it) was a CJ MF-80 CJ first solid state amp made back in the early 80's. Apparently what happen the amp sent ac current to the ML amps. It is interesting that ML has no internal fuse for protection from such mishaps. Perhaps they want nothing in the single path. Seem's odd, I have four speaker protection on my CJ MF 2500A which is my main amp. Everything sounds great, so back to the music.

That's a shame, those early CJ's have many fans sound wise, I'm not familiar with the curcuitry on them, like the 'flame linear's' which when stressed would send a massive DC to the poor speakers. I also don't know much about the Summits, I just have the very early Sequel's. No protection fuses or otherwise on them, my partner has been known to overdrive them on weekends with my Yamaha MX-800U, the woofers have been blown and replaced, the panels don't seem to have suffered in the least bit. I guess I'm lucky eh?

I'm new to all this stuff, I've never had a speaker be so reactive and yet, unfazed by power issues like these are, when I opened them up to replace the woofers, the crossover trannies looked brand new, my partner is an EE/TE he said he never saw such a fascinating lay out like they had. I'm ramblin' :D sorry

With internal amps, what does the external amp power?

Attachments

• !K-SHE.jpg
    !K-SHE.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 117
Back