Disaster srikes/blew amps in Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoe

Reaction score
What started out to be a much ancipated music session on a lovely Friday afternoon in the music room I notice when listening to Rebecka Pegon that her voice was right of center. Like most audiophile I immediately went into diagnose mode. Went through the audiophile approve process elimination, switch tubes in preamp, swapt cables, speaker wires switch speakers to no avail. I thougt well I can use my balance control on my preamp, but for the purest that I am I could not enjoy the music it just kept eating at me. Then I thought I would pull out my old MF 80 CJ out of mothball. I hook the 80 to my Summits push the botton and BAM the bass from both speakers stop playing only the panels kept on singing. I immediately turn the amp off went behind the speakers and sure enough the LED light was bright red which to me it was saying ( " stop you idiot" ) I waited 5 min. thinking that maybe something needed to reset. No way I really screwed them up. I have no idea what happen, I double check my hook ups and everything was in order. I wanted to heavy the CJ outside but I could not prove that he was the guilt party.
I have own these speakers for over three years and had never desire to up
grade them. It make me sick to think what is going to cost to repair them, to box them up and ship them. So enjoy and appreciate your Martin Logans, you never realize what you have until you loose them. Thanks for allowing me too share my pain with you my wife was not as compassionate as I know you guys would be. So show me a little bit love. Sam

Hi Sam,

It's entirely possible that what happened can be "field repaired", given the modular design of the product. If so, no shipping required.

Don't know what you did with your CJ. Almost sounds like it was sending DC to the speaker.

So relax and call ML on Monday. Could be as simple as replacing some power supply boards.

It's probably not near as bad as what you think it is.

As they say, S**T happens.

GG

I did call ML on Friday and talk to service. Jim I think was his name he thought it sounded like it was the amps. Gordon what do you mean by "field repair"? I would assume that the repairs would not be cover under warranty. I am handy with a soldering gun. It sure would be nice not to send them out, with all the horror stories about shipping disasters.
I will keep you posted how this all turns out. Thanks for your suggestion. Sam

A bit off topic, but I had the same frustration as you when listening to rebecca pigeon's Spanish Harlem, but after trying to go through all the equipment swaps etc, I conclude the recording does put her slightly to the right in the soundfield, not only in my system but other highly detailed systems I've heard. Really hope you can resolve your summit amp problems with an easy swap and get back to beautiful music soon

Sam,

Field repair is diagnosing the problem and having ML ship out the needed hardware, for you to install, to resolve the issue. No need to return your speakers to Kansas.

GG

Ok Gordon I will call ML on Monday and see if we can isolate the problem and go from there. In the response to the other post regarding Rebecca Pidgeon being off center, well I listen to other vocals and the same problem was the same; This was after vacuuming the left panel. The interesting thing which makes me sick' I hook up my second system (back up) which consist JM Reynaud Evolution 3 powered by Red Wine Sig. 30. The same problem exist. I am baffle to what is going on. My play black is computer base using a Red Wine Issabella NOS dac. I guess I will do some further investigation. Will keep you posted how this all plays out. Sam

Ok Gordon I will call ML on Monday and see if we can isolate the problem and go from there. In the response to the other post regarding Rebecca Pidgeon being off center, well I listen to other vocals and the same problem was the same; This was after vacuuming the left panel. The interesting thing which makes me sick' I hook up my second system (back up) which consist JM Reynaud Evolution 3 powered by Red Wine Sig. 30. The same problem exist. I am baffle to what is going on. My play black is computer base using a Red Wine Issabella NOS dac. I guess I will do some further investigation. Will keep you posted how this all plays out. Sam

Hola...I do not think it is possible to burn four amplifiers at the same time. You must have a connection problem. Please re-check them. There is no reason why they are going to be bad. Perhaps there is a protection fuse inside... happy listening,
Roberto.

If there does happen to be something wrong, I most certainly would not use the amp that you had them hooked up to again.

I took off the back panel and there was no fuse to be found. Which is hard to believe considering there are two 250 watt amplifiers. I am thinking about seeing if ML will allow me to to send both of the back panels and have them repair the problem. That would be better then sending the speakers off.
As far as the guilty amp I will not be using it again. It will make a nice museum piece.

Hocky I notice you are from Indiana, I grew up around Muncie. Great to know there is another Hoosier on this great forum. Sam

Yep, there is at least one more here from central Indiana. I used to spend a fair amount of time at Muncie drag strip.

Image shift

I had a similiar problem where the center image shifted. I finally traced it to a bad RCA interconnect at preamp. When I inspected the cable at the RCA ends I noticed the center conductor had a few broken strands (probably half).
It passed music, but apparently not full potential.

I repaired the wire and that restored the correct imaging. :music:

Just an up date in getting my internal amps repair on my Summits; ML sent me instructions in removing them which I Fedx today for repairs. Great service very responsive and one happy customer for not having to box them up and send the speakers. Thanks again Gordon for the wonderful suggestion. Sam

Hope it works out for you, Sam. I'll take you up on your offer to hear the Summits in your room when you get them back up and running.

Just an up date in getting my internal amps repair on my Summits; ML sent me instructions in removing them which I Fedx today for repairs. Great service very responsive and one happy customer for not having to box them up and send the speakers. Thanks again Gordon for the wonderful suggestion. Sam

Since you're in Seattle, was there a reason you didn't have Magnolia/BB repair it?

That was an option, when originally I was going to box up the speakers and take them to the Magnolia store on Rosevelt. But when It was suggested by someone to have them "field tested" by removing the internal amps myself ML wanted me to send them out to them. I could have called Magnolia to see if they would repair them without the speakers but I assumed they would not.
There was another club member six years ago had a amp go out on one of his Summits and ML sent him out a new one which he replaced himself. He posted detailed pic's of the process from start to finish which provided me the confidence to do the same. I hope this answer your question. Believe me I did not want to box up the speakers. Cheers Sam

That was an option, when originally I was going to box up the speakers and take them to the Magnolia store on Rosevelt. But when It was suggested by someone to have them "field tested" by removing the internal amps myself ML wanted me to send them out to them. I could have called Magnolia to see if they would repair them without the speakers but I assumed they would not.
There was another club member six years ago had a amp go out on one of his Summits and ML sent him out a new one which he replaced himself. He posted detailed pic's of the process from start to finish which provided me the confidence to do the same. I hope this answer your question. Believe me I did not want to box up the speakers. Cheers Sam

I get it. I thought you were intending to ship it to Kansas. I've found ML to be more helpful than the Magnolia/BB especially after BB took over but that's another story.

I want to bring closur to this thread by saying that I got my amps back today, all four needed to be replace. I reinstalled them and I am back on line. ML really took care of me in a fair and timely matter. Communication was fantastic could not have ask for better service. Really gives me a lot confidence that ML dose stand behind there product and really bends ( ouch ) over backwards to take care of there customers.

I want to also share about my discovery regarding the allen bolts holding the bottom woofers and the ESL. All the bolts were loose from a quarter to a half turn. I was some what surprise but assume it was from woofer vibration. I could hear a significant improment in solidarity in the bass. I will check the front woofers in the coming days ahead. I higly recommend anyone to check out there woofers. Maybe I should consider getting the CLX and not worry about woofers bolts. ( I will plead my case to my wife.) Sam

Maybe I should consider getting the CLX and not worry about woofers bolts. ( I will plead my case to my wife.) Sam

Alas, even the mighty CLX can suffer from wooferboltitus. There are machine screws that hold the frame together on the top edge and they need to be checked periodically for proper torque foot-poundage. OK ;) there isn't actually a torque rating (that I'm aware of), but they do need to stay tight.

Congrats on getting your "reactors" back on line... and glad to hear that ML continues to do right by her customers.

Cheers

Back