Hello from Seal Beach, CA.... New ESL13As on the way!...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Henryeng,

Don't know if it will do you any good, but I have a (as in one) 2' x 4' x 6" Fat Mondo Trap by Realtraps that I don't think I'll ever use that you can have. It's not very attractive so it might need something to cover it up (it was behind my equipment rack). I'm in city of Orange, so if you want it, just pick it up. I can also reply with a photo if you're interested.

Bob Fey

Henry, that would be a good thing. You can move it around the room and see how the sound changes.
That will give you more information as to which way to proceed.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that generous offer. I'm gonna wait till the ESL13As arrive and I get them situated. I just received the two GIK absorption panels (2' x 4' x 2")...I'll put one behind each speaker. If it sounds like I need more treatment, I'll definitely be in touch. Speakers were shipped last week...so maybe I'll get them this week.
Thanks again and I'll keep ya posted!

I just joined the ML Owners group. I've been an audiophile for decades....and am finally upgrading from "cone-in-box" speakers to ESLs. My system is simple: McIntosh MCD550 SACD player and an MA8900 integrated amp, 200 wpc.
Since I listen mostly to classical music, accuracy, detail, and imaging are what's important.

I am new to ML electrostatic speakers. I just ordered ESL13As. They’ll be in a room that’s 18’ wide with 8’ ceiling. Speakers will be 8’ apart with my LP about 10’ in front of them. Stat panels will be 36” - 40” from the front wall, which is wood paneling. Very reflective. SO…my plan is to use one 2’ x 4’ absorption panel (from GIK) directly behind each stat panel. (The GIK 3.6" thick 242 panels have nearly identical specs compared to the 2" thick "spot" panels...so I went with the 2" panels.) Does it need to be a bit off the wall? Spaced 1” from wall? Or just mounted directly on wall?

Behind my LP I have 35’ of open space with furniture etc so no reflections from the wall behind the LP.
Any thoughts from the experts?
Thanks...
I had a pair of 13a they make magic. I now have 15as which are als fantastic I ran the 13 as with the Mac ma 12000 which I still have for the 15a
The Mac’s are great with the Logan’s and as the bass is taken care of by on board amps your amp will have plenty of power and the combo sounds great
I have the panels approx 4 ft from the rear walls have no damping.
Prick walls carpet on floor and heavy drapes behind the listening position.
Getting the toe in right is very important for imaging as is the tilt particularly on the 13s
The imaging is great as is detail and the Mac combo makes u just want to listen to the music
You may need damping but I like the sound without - if I had timber floors and a hard surface behind me damping may be needed.
Good luck I can never go back to cone speakers have had Logan’s for over 30 years

Hi Perry....and thanks for that good info. My ESL panels will be only about 36"-40" from the wall, and since the wall is wood paneled (almost as reflective as glass)...I'll probably need the GIK panels. But I can always move them sideways a bit if the sound gets too dull (like a "mid/treble reflection" control)....so we'll see what happens when I get them up and playing. And I've read that most users tilt them forwards to almost-perpendicular to the floor, similar to the 15s rake angle. Hoping the delivery is this week....! (Current speakers are Goldenear Triton One.Rs)

I have found that plastic shims (Lowe’s)
work well in fixing “tilt.” I also used them, with a level, to make sure the top of the 13a is parallel to the floor. A laser, measuring the top of both sides of the speaker to the ceiling, added more information. The laser also helps with the distance to the front and side walls. These are consequences of a concrete floor, in a converted garage!

A concrete floor....yikes!...
We'll soon see if the ESL13s can live up to this ultimate vinyl playback system....!
(Note today's date!)

Attachments

• IMG_1634v3.MOV
    43.4 MB
Hi Perry....and thanks for that good info. My ESL panels will be only about 36"-40" from the wall, and since the wall is wood paneled (almost as reflective as glass)...I'll probably need the GIK panels. But I can always move them sideways a bit if the sound gets too dull (like a "mid/treble reflection" control)....so we'll see what happens when I get them up and playing. And I've read that most users tilt them forwards to almost-perpendicular to the floor, similar to the 15s rake angle. Hoping the delivery is this week....! (Current speakers are Goldenear Triton One.Rs)
Henry
Good luck I am sure you will love the sound you will achieve! And yes the positioning and rake is very critical to getting the best sound
Cheers
Perry

Back