Clicking from new Dynamo 1100X subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpf11

Reaction score
Hey folks, new to the forum as I just dove all in on a Martinlogan home theater setup. In my setup I purchased two new Dynamo 1100x subs and have a very weird issue that I thought I'd share in case someone knows of the fix, and at least to share information in case others run into this. Both subs make a very low volume high rate clicking/ticking that sounds like a fast switching relay or something. You can hear it in a quiet room, and when there is low volume scenes like just dialogue, and it's quite annoying in my home theater in pretty much all content. What's worse is it's all the time, non-stop, and even does it with no input connected and just power.

Things I tried:
1) different power circuit in the home, and another home entirely about a mile away in the same neighborhood
2) tried to see if there might be a firmware issue but ARC Genesis didn't prompt to update firmware, and there are no actual firmware files on the Martinlogan site so not sure if there are any updates available (i.e. didn't update anything)
3) went through full ARC genesis setup with the rest of my speakers and an Anthem MRX 1140, no change (but I didn't expect any considering this happens with no input connected).

I reported the issue to Martinlogan and the initial response was they'd never heard of this issue, but will research and get back to me. I had ordered from Crutchfield, and they too didn't know what to make of it, so they sent me two new subs right away. I tested those and the first one was clicking the exact same way, so I put it back in the box. I opened the second, and it too was clicking. However I just randomly switched the Local/App switch from App to Local and the ticking stopped. WEIRD. So I went and checked the two original subs right away and oddly one of the pair will click regardless of the setting, and the other does stop if set to Local. I didn't check that other sub that I tested first from the second pair though, so no idea what its behavior is with this switch.

So right now I have two subs that only when set to Local do they not click. I'm posting in the odd chance someone has familiarity with the issue, and if not to make people aware of this possible sort of workaround. For me, this is clearly a defect in production they are not QA'ing for and so I'll be pushing for resolution directly from Martinlogan (as opposed to making Crutchfield send me more subs until we hopefully eventually get a pair that don't click on either setting).

I've uploaded a recording of the noise using my phone.

Attachments

• Subwoofer noise.zip
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
Here is what my Balanced Force 210 was doing, its in this thread. I have a video I made. It turns out that the control panel went out on it. Martin Logan will take care of you since you purchased from a licensed dealer. They sent me a new subwoofer and its working great. I think it was the control panel but im not 100% sure of that.

https://www.martinloganowners.com/t...ly-2021-here-is-what-it-is-doing.19616/page-3

Found the video on my pc. Here it is direct on this thread.

Attachments

• 18988-8280ca9399259f217552dc7c40647aa7.mp4
    16 MB
Hey folks, new to the forum as I just dove all in on a Martinlogan home theater setup. In my setup I purchased two new Dynamo 1100x subs and have a very weird issue that I thought I'd share in case someone knows of the fix, and at least to share information in case others run into this. Both subs make a very low volume high rate clicking/ticking that sounds like a fast switching relay or something. You can hear it in a quiet room, and when there is low volume scenes like just dialogue, and it's quite annoying in my home theater in pretty much all content. What's worse is it's all the time, non-stop, and even does it with no input connected and just power.

Things I tried:
1) different power circuit in the home, and another home entirely about a mile away in the same neighborhood
2) tried to see if there might be a firmware issue but ARC Genesis didn't prompt to update firmware, and there are no actual firmware files on the Martinlogan site so not sure if there are any updates available (i.e. didn't update anything)
3) went through full ARC genesis setup with the rest of my speakers and an Anthem MRX 1140, no change (but I didn't expect any considering this happens with no input connected).

I reported the issue to Martinlogan and the initial response was they'd never heard of this issue, but will research and get back to me. I had ordered from Crutchfield, and they too didn't know what to make of it, so they sent me two new subs right away. I tested those and the first one was clicking the exact same way, so I put it back in the box. I opened the second, and it too was clicking. However I just randomly switched the Local/App switch from App to Local and the ticking stopped. WEIRD. So I went and checked the two original subs right away and oddly one of the pair will click regardless of the setting, and the other does stop if set to Local. I didn't check that other sub that I tested first from the second pair though, so no idea what its behavior is with this switch.

So right now I have two subs that only when set to Local do they not click. I'm posting in the odd chance someone has familiarity with the issue, and if not to make people aware of this possible sort of workaround. For me, this is clearly a defect in production they are not QA'ing for and so I'll be pushing for resolution directly from Martinlogan (as opposed to making Crutchfield send me more subs until we hopefully eventually get a pair that don't click on either setting).

Hi. I'd like to be of help, but I'd need to know more than what you've provided.

The fact that you're dealing with a reputable outfit like Crutchfield really lightens the issue. If you're not happy, you can send the subs back and it'll cost you at most return shipping.

By way of background, I'm a retired EE and a long time audio designer and enthusiast. I own a pair of Montis ESLs and I've owned a single ML Dynamo 1100X for several years. I use it in conjunction with a ML Balanced Force 210. My 1100X is connected using ML's wireless link, and it's controlled via the iPhone app. I've had no issues with it, and definitely none like the one you're reporting.

For one thing, you haven't explained how you've wired these subs into your system (how the two are connected together if they indeed are, for example) and what the rest of the system looks like. You should explain how the sub(s) gets power -- is it direct from an outlet, or is it from a strip shared with other components, or is it through a power conditioner? Are the subs running out of the same outlet as the AV receiver? You also need to provide a full description of the sub settings. For example, are you using trigger mode to turn on the subwoofer power?

The fact that, at the onset, you heard this same clicking out of both subs raises in my mind the possibility that it may not be internal to the subs. So, if this was my problem, I'd start out in a very basic way with a series of experiments, taking careful notes of what you're doing along the way.

For starters, I'd disconnect the subs from the rest of the system and each other and shut down everything except a single subwoofer. Put it in local, level at minimum, and set the power mode to On. Do you still hear the clicking? If not, what happens when the level is raised, all the way to max?

If there is no clicking heard, turn off the subwoofer power switch, fire up the app, set the subwoofer to app mode, turn the sub back on and link the app and the sub together. Same questions: do you hear clicking now? Does it depend on level? If you try a "sweep", does the sub respond?

Continue on expanding the players until you finally get to the target configuration.

Now, if any step along the way here produces the clicking sound, you've got a sick sub. If not, continue further with the setup.

What I'm describing isn't the answer to your problem, but how to go about finding out what is.

If you'd like more help, let me know.

Last edited:
Hi Rascal, I'll respond to try to provide more information:
- The subs make the noise regardless of whether they are connected to the system. They make it with no input lines whatsoever, and they make it with input lines connected. They all make the noise with zero inputs connected, only power. They make the noise with inputs connected (though I only use the single LFE input). The power was direct from wall outlets without anything in between like a surge protector or anything else, and I tested various circuits in my home as well as an entirely different home a mile away.
- The sub settings were initially not changed by me, and the clicking was happening straight out of the box. They were doing this before any settings were applied whatsoever, and were doing it after using the app to play with settings as well. No settings via the app seemed to have any effect on this noise.
- I did test with no inputs connected and the gain knob at various levels, including min and max, and this has zero impact on the clicking noise. All four subs are like this. I basically would sweep the gain knob around and notice no changes. I also tried auto power mode and on mode and both exhibit the clicking (with Auto only once the sub gets a signal and comes on).
- I've linked the app to the first two subs and played the sweep, and yes both executed the sweep. The clicking was still present, of course not audible during the sweep because of the volume the sweep but you can hear it once the sweep stops. I didn't bother with app settings adjustments on the second two subs.
- tests were isolated with one sub at a time as I was pulling my hair out trying to find a cause and total solution, which I wasn't.

I have an EE degree myself, and thorough testing is something I was trying to do when trying to troubleshoot.

The skepticism that this isn't an environmental issue certainly isn't lost on me, as I was assuming it was something in my environment hence the AC power circuit tests both in my house and at another location. With that result I am fairly confident I've ruled that out with both the circuit tests as well as finding that the noise disappears switching the app/local on some of the subs.

I appreciate the sincere interest and effort here to try to help with the investigation!

Hi Rascal, I'll respond to try to provide more information:
- The subs make the noise regardless of whether they are connected to the system. They make it with no input lines whatsoever, and they make it with input lines connected. They all make the noise with zero inputs connected, only power. They make the noise with inputs connected (though I only use the single LFE input). The power was direct from wall outlets without anything in between like a surge protector or anything else, and I tested various circuits in my home as well as an entirely different home a mile away.
- The sub settings were initially not changed by me, and the clicking was happening straight out of the box. They were doing this before any settings were applied whatsoever, and were doing it after using the app to play with settings as well. No settings via the app seemed to have any effect on this noise.
- I did test with no inputs connected and the gain knob at various levels, including min and max, and this has zero impact on the clicking noise. All four subs are like this. I basically would sweep the gain knob around and notice no changes. I also tried auto power mode and on mode and both exhibit the clicking (with Auto only once the sub gets a signal and comes on).
- I've linked the app to the first two subs and played the sweep, and yes both executed the sweep. The clicking was still present, of course not audible during the sweep because of the volume the sweep but you can hear it once the sweep stops. I didn't bother with app settings adjustments on the second two subs.
- tests were isolated with one sub at a time as I was pulling my hair out trying to find a cause and total solution, which I wasn't.

I have an EE degree myself, and thorough testing is something I was trying to do when trying to troubleshoot.

The skepticism that this isn't an environmental issue certainly isn't lost on me, as I was assuming it was something in my environment hence the AC power circuit tests both in my house and at another location. With that result I am fairly confident I've ruled that out with both the circuit tests as well as finding that the noise disappears switching the app/local on some of the subs.

I appreciate the sincere interest and effort here to try to help with the investigation!

Wow. How odd. As I said previously, my 1100X doesn’t act this way, and if testing the sub without any connects except power does this, it seems to point to either the sub or something from your environment that’s “getting in” to it.

The sound clip you included is curious in that it has a regular repetition rate of around 8 to 10 Hz. It’s hard to imagine household appliances or systems producing such periodic interference. Nearby Middle River, there is an airport and an aerospace plant — perhaps a radar is the cause. You mentioned you had similar results at another place 1 mile away - that may still be within range of such an interference.

The power cord for the 1100X isn’t grounded except by virtue of plug polarization. Adding power line filtering or RF shielding will require some thought and perhaps is beyond the scope of your patience.

I think Magnolia (BestBuy) carries ML. There might be one close by. If they have an 1100X on display, perhaps you could go see if that unit in that environment behaves the same way.

Are any lights flashing on it like on mine? My sub was making a sound in a much slower rhythm and so a lower frequency.

@Robert D - Nothing I can see though the 1100x really only has a single LED indicating power status. Also, I forgot to say thank you for sharing about your issue, so thank you!

@Rascal correct, it's something high rate, and as it happened multiple homes very unlikely to be caused by a singular nearby system as the other home did not have any of the same appliances as mine (doesn't rule it out of course). As for radar, that's an interesting... theory, that something inside receiving the energy and causing the clicking. I did not study radar beyond the rudimentary entry level physics work for an EE degree so I can't say if that frequency makes sense. I thought typical ground system aircraft radar transmitters were directional and not omnidirectional, and that's why they rotate, and if this is the case wouldn't the signal vary in amplitude periodically? Totally talking out of my rear here! On that theory, I tested the subs both in my underground concrete walled basement and the noise persists there. The subs definitely don't have line of site to any radar arrays at the local airport, but perhaps there's still enough reflection from nearby materials and penetration (though from the angles I really doubt any radar signal is transmitting that deep). I think overall this is a stretch of a theory, but I don't know enough to rule it out.

If I feel like going out of my way to test over at Best Buy, assuming they have an 1100x on the floor, I may, but it would be a while as I'm quite busy (we just moved in and every weekend is unpacking, installing, or furniture shopping). If I do I will share what I find for sure!

Thanks for the ideas and spending time on my issue!

That's nuts to have multiple brand new subs with the very same issue. My new Balanced Force 210 sub is just fine.

Very interesting issue. I have two 1100x bought a couple years apart and haven't experienced anything like this. You may have tried this already, but if not, connect to each with the ML app and try doing a factory reset on each one.

A second thing you can try is to connect to each with a USB cable from your PC/Mac, launch ARC Genesis, connect to the sub and run the option to remove ARC profiles from the device. It's a long shot, but I have had some weird things happen with my ML Impressions where things sounded off, and connecting and removing the ARC profile resolved it.

If you've ruled out one particular unit being the issue, or your system, or the environment, the only thing left I can think of is a batch with a particular defect got shipped to Crutchfield. I totally get not having the time right now to travel to a local dealer. Good thing it isn't something essential to your system, like a full range speaker.

Hi,

I own 2 1100x and I have not had any problems. I even own a 800x with no problems. The subwoofers are two years. This is an unfortunate situation. Dynamo 1100X is an amazing subwoofer. I hope you are able to find a solution

Last edited:
ML has engaged and agreed we seem to have ruled out most environmental issues, at least the high probability ones, and so they said they'll test subs for this issue and send me two known good ones. Hopefully that's the end of the problem, but if not will at least confirm it's something within my environment causing this.

@MisterB I hadn't considered any sort of reset and that's a very good idea to try, as well as the removing of ARC profiles. As I'm not likely going to have time before the ML replacements get here I'll save this until after those arrive and are tested, and will try these ideas out if necessary.

@Amber.Fire yeah I can't find any search results indicating anyone else has ever seen this. A real head scratcher for sure! Crossing my fingers for good results.

Things I tried:

**Sorry if this has been mentioned - lazy today and didn't feel like reading all the great ideas :)***
The common denominator seems to be the app or the communication link between the app (e.g. cellphone, tablet, or noise on the wifi channel), and the sub(s). Are you using the wireless modules for the subs? If so, maybe pull them out and reset. The modules could be bad? If you can, disable all the fun stuff (wireless / app control) and try connecting the subs with RCA direct to your pre-pro/receiver and see if the noise is still there (remove the wireless modules if you have them). I also have 2 - 1100X using the wireless modules + app and they work flawlessly.

Last edited:
Wasn't using wireless modules, no, and the problem manifests with or without inputs connected, and the connected input was an RCA/Coaxial cable on the LFE input. Also testing was done while connected via the bluetooth app and without (my phone's bluetooth turned off), and this had no effect. I appreciate the ideas and brainstorming!

I received the two replacements from ML. Boxes didn't look opened from the factory and both made the clicking when set to App, not when on Local. I emailed ML and said this, and because of the boxes not looking opened and that the issue is present I asked if these were tested before shipping as the rep said they would be. He only responded with he was told they were tested, but did not confirm. I suspect they weren't but as he isn't certain I can only speculate. He's offered to send another pair, ensuring this pair will be tested before shipment. As I now have like 200 lbs of subwoofers sitting here for return already, and now looking at another 100, I'm hitting my limit but I'm hoping for success here on this last pair!

That said, I tried the removing of ARC Genesis settings from the pair I have held onto and that didn't have an effect, clicking noise was still made in the App mode.

One interesting tidbit though, when connected via Micro USB to do ARC Genesis setup one of the two subwoofers started clicking in local mode. I switched it over to App and it continued clicking, but then when I switched back to local it stopped. The other sub didn't start clicking during micro usb connection and ARC genesis setup. No idea what this means but figured I'd capture data in case it's relevant.

Wow, please keep us updated. I can't believe you are the only person with this issue. At least ML is being responsive and trying to make it right

So that the ML rep didn't think I was crazy I took a video including showing the serial number sticker on the sub (so that he knew it was one that he sent me) and the audible clicking. It might be one of those things many people don't run into because they leave it set to Local (all my subs have come set to local out the box), or maybe I'm just sensitive (but again my girlfriend who isn't very sound sensitive heard it and asked what it was unprompted). Also having two subs might boost it to the annoying level where as only one sub might be low enough to not be noticed? My two subs are up front, front firing, and so that might be the worst case for hearing it. Of course there's the possibility that I'm the unluckiest sub purchaser in existence but... at this point I think the odds are in my favor with six subs in my possession all exhibiting the behavior?

So that the ML rep didn't think I was crazy I took a video including showing the serial number sticker on the sub (so that he knew it was one that he sent me) and the audible clicking. It might be one of those things many people don't run into because they leave it set to Local (all my subs have come set to local out the box), or maybe I'm just sensitive (but again my girlfriend who isn't very sound sensitive heard it and asked what it was unprompted). Also having two subs might boost it to the annoying level where as only one sub might be low enough to not be noticed? My two subs are up front, front firing, and so that might be the worst case for hearing it. Of course there's the possibility that I'm the unluckiest sub purchaser in existence but... at this point I think the odds are in my favor with six subs in my possession all exhibiting the behavior?
You should provide the ML rep with the serial number of 6 subs to see when they were manufactured. If it is a bad lot, then ML can narrow down the quality control issue

Good suggestion, and I had the same thought and have provided them serial numbers from the beginning so they have them all.

Back