Racing Sim heaven...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Got my new PS3 this week and just could not wait to take the driving games for spin. I'm a huge racing sim fan, and love to drive the real things as well ;)

So as any self respecting racing fanboy, I have a force feedback wheel.

The big challenge is how to mount it so it's usable.

When I built my hushbox for my big CRT projector a few years ago, I also built a steering wheel mount for it.
It is detachable from the hush box and uses some knurled threaded nuts to bolt onto the hush box, giving a rock solid wheel mount. A must for sawing away on rally games.
It also holds the pedals firmly in place so all the stopping and going is smooth :)

So without further ado, here are some pics of the contraption (and me) in use:

First up, the wheel and mount.

Attachments

• Fast Hushbox4_sml.JPG
    Fast Hushbox4_sml.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 151
Fastest Hushbox in the South

And here is a view from the front showing that we now have the fastest Hushbox in the south.

As you can see, even the dog has laser eyes ;)

Attachments

• Fast Hushbox1_Sml.JPG
    Fast Hushbox1_Sml.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 157
Dog is my co-pilot

Another view of the setup.

As you can see, Dog is my co-pilot...

Attachments

• Fast Hushbox3_sml.JPG
    Fast Hushbox3_sml.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 156
And here is the view from behind the wheel.

That’s a huge 100" screen out there, displaying a nice 720p (DiRT) or 1080i (GT HD) image.

Flanked by Monoliths, with a custom center speaker, Infinite Baffle and Tactile Transducers in the couch, racing in this home theater is pretty awesome. :rocker:

Attachments

• Fast Hushbox2_sml.JPG
    Fast Hushbox2_sml.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 157
Can't help but think of that old saw: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys". And I LOVE my toys !!! :D

Another view of the setup.

We had an ad here in Australia where the dog was the "navigator" for a rally car - one bark for a left, two for a right. You'll have to train yours!

Very cool setup though!

Can't help but think of that old saw: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys". And I LOVE my toys !!! :D

Yep, the toys are lots of fun. Good thing I don't have kids to have to share them with (or spend my money on ;) )

I do have to say, when teenage boys see this setup, they go speechless :devil:

looks awesome - really, it would have been cheaper just to buy a racecar.

Thanks, and you know, I think you're right :eek:

On the other hand, the weather is always good in there, so even on rainy days (like today), I can still go racing all I want.

jon, that's cool! which ps3 game would that be? i've been playing gran turismo since the first one came out on ps1. if that's gt, maybe we can compare nurburgring nordschleife times.

my steering wheel is set up for my pc. the best racing sim i've ever tried is grand prix legends on the pc, which is set in the 1967 f1 season, before aerodynamics, computer aids, runoff areas and barriers. wow, talk about a steep learning curve!

Thanks, and you know, I think you're right :eek:

On the other hand, the weather is always good in there, so even on rainy days (like today), I can still go racing all I want.

You can also go really fast, and if you crash - it doesn't hurt!

jon, that's cool! which ps3 game would that be? i've been playing gran turismo since the first one came out on ps1. if that's gt, maybe we can compare nurburgring nordschleife times.

my steering wheel is set up for my pc. the best racing sim i've ever tried is grand prix legends on the pc, which is set in the 1967 f1 season, before aerodynamics, computer aids, runoff areas and barriers. wow, talk about a steep learning curve!

JFM, the game shown on the screen in the pic above is from DiRT (a Colin McRae rally derivative). That's a stage in rally Italy.

GT HD (GT5) is still only in 'Demo' and has limited track data. The Nordschleife is not there yet. Bummer, because it's one of my favorites in GT4 on the PS2.
My times on that track with a WRX STI were pretty decent, but not spectacular.

My favorite racing style (as participant or spectator) is Rally, with gravel being my favorite surface.

F1 is truly challenging, I also had a PC based F1 game that was very realistic and a bitch to drive (no TC). Fun, but I prefer vehicles and courses closer to ‘real life’.

LOL! Great quote. Love the racing setup. Nice mount for the steering wheel and pedals. Now I wish that was part of the demo back when we were visiting you. But then we would have never gotten around to listening to music. I have a PS3 and I love to race, so now you are tempting me to buy the steering console and some racing games. You are right. This forum is getting expensive. :devil:

Back