Yet another ML newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenic

Reaction score
Hey guys... Been monitoring this site for about a month now and finally signed up for an account now that I'm officially a ML owner. I just got my Vignette surrounds earlier this week, pick up my new Depth i sub tomorrow, and should complete my ML upgrade over the next week or so with a pair of Vantage mains (demos from Magnolia) and a Stage center (demo if I can talk the Magnolia guys into it otherwise new).

The girlfriend and I recently moved and I walked into Magnolia a month and a half ago looking for a new pair of surrounds for my Def Tech Mythos system since the Mythos 4's I had been using as my rears weren't going to work in the new place. I have a pair of Mythos Gems that I was using as well in a 7.1 config but I got the 4's because the Gems just weren't doing it for me by themselves as rears. So no way was I going back to just the Gems.

After some demoing my Magnolia guy had me sold on the Vignettes as suitable replacements for the Mythos surrounds and after a week of using them as mains in the room (the Mythos system has already been moved to the game room) I have no doubt I'll be satisfied with them in that capacity. :)

But damn... I couldn't get over how much better the $10k ML system the guy demoed to me sounded then my Mythos system. So I took the girlfriend with me to Magnolia on the next trip and after a great demo by my sales guy we both left knowing it was pretty much a done deal. The Mythos goes to the game room to serve as background music while we're playing pool or the 360 (still a great sounding system in that capacity) and the home theater gets a $10k upgrade.

So in short that's how a trip to Magnolia for a new set of $800 - $900 surrounds is going to have ended up costing me around $10,000 to start and probably many, many dollars more before its all said and done. :)

Oh... A few more system details...

To drive the ML's I have a Denon 4806 which I absolutely love (My old 3806 is in the game room and god bless the creators of HDMI) but I've read quite a few posts leading me to believe I'll want better amplification for at least the Vantages & Stage at some point. Lost more research to do there although I've noticed a lot of people seem to prefer Sunfire amps on here. I was suprised to learn that this was Bob Carver. I had a Carver when I was in the Army back in the late 80's (M-500 I think) so I already love his stuff.

For sources I have a PS3 for blu-ray & upscaled DVD (I work for MS so please don't tell them), Denon 1920 for SACD & DVD-A, crappy Comcast DVR (why do they have to suck so bad), and a really nice Media Center I built that I use for everything else.

Anyway, I'll be posting pics of everything in a couple of weeks. I've already picked up a couple of great tips from this community and look forward to taking my very expensive hobby to the next level so thank you very much Tom for creating this site.

-steve

Last edited:
Welcome Steve, glad to hear your enjoying spending your "Economic Stimulus" check !

Another happy Vantage owner here as well !

Back