What to expect from a ML 7.1 system....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've decided, I'm convinced, my next (future) up grade will be a two channel tube amplifier. I will continue to use my Pioneer 59TXi as a pre/processer, for now. I appreciate the various concenus of oppinion, on this foum. It has really helped me, firmed up the decission to tube amplify my, Ascent i's - to start. My future budget will be about 3 - 4k, for a stereo amp. I was thinking about, Audio Research - VS110 stereo amp., or a Musical Fidelity amp. Does anyone have any other two channel / stereo amplifier suggestions or recommendations?

Excellent idea to go with the two channel amp to maximize the sound of your ascents. However, if you really do dvd 90% of the time.... you still might want to consider a multi channel amp. You can always bi-amp the mains with the multi-channel amp... If you get a 5 channel amp - you can do the center and bi-amp the ascents or if you get the 7 - you can bi-amp & run 5.1....

Robin. I think you partially answered your own question when you said movies take up about 90% of your listening. I reckon a token 7.1 system will never beat a dedicated ML 5.1 system. I was debatintg which way to go myself a few months ago. I could spend my funds on a good HT, or I could buy the very best 2 channel system I could afford and then spend what ever I had left on HT stuff. I watch a lot of movies as well but I never wanted to compromise my 2 channel system.

That's why I bought Summits/ARC/Classe etc. I had some Klipsch Heresys that I used as rears for a while, then I trialed the Vignettes. I know the Vignettes are not mini Summits, but they worked MUCH better than the Heresys. The sound is much more cohesive and I find I can enjoy movies without compromising 2 channel listening. The build quality of the Vignettes is outstanding. The sound they produce as stand alone 2 channel speakers isn't too bad either. I have no centre channel.

Now bear in mind, I reckon rear speakers only contribute 10 to 15 % of the overall sound when watching/listening to movies. So if you factor in your 90% movie time and then the actual 10 to 15% the surrounds contribute anyway - well... You do the math. But I wouldn't stretch my funds and compromise the 2 channel system.

The other thing... sack your non ML speakers from your system. I know they make a noise and give you some sound effects, but they are sabotaging the good work of the Ascents. I know it sounds harsh, but to get the best out of your system, maybe less is more.

I reckon you will get that more cohesive sound you are looking for if you start with just 2 ML surround speakers, then work from there. Adding other surround/effects speakers later is always an option...

Edwin.

Last edited:
The Second Generation Toshiba HD-DVD Is Delayed...

My son just informed me that the, already second generation, Toshiba HD-DVD player has been delayed until the end of December 2006. :eek: My son read it in "Wired" magazine, I think. Apparently Tosihba is having trouble adding the HDMI 1.3 as well as other technical problems, see here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/14/toshiba.2nd.gen.hd.dvd/

Joe,

Have you read / heard about this situation? :confused: Also I was told that this second generation HD-DVD player will decode / offer 7.1 sound through the HDMI 1.3 connection, which as we know HDMI 1.3 offers. Have you read this as well?

Latest posts

Back