What Should the Distance Settings be in Pre-Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppgunn

Reaction score
Hello - I am running Montis speakers in the front and really only using this setup as a 2 channel setup.

The Montis are being run by a McIntosh MC-402 power amp and a Krell HTS 7.1 pre-amp, Chord dac. Not using any kinda dampening material or anything (if that makes any difference for the distance).

I was wondering what distance should I be setting in my pre-amp. I am sitting 18 ft from the speakers but the speakers are 5 feet from the back wall.

Do I set them up at 18 feet or 23 feet (since the sound is being bounced/reflected off the rear wall)? I appreciate all your suggestions - Thank You.

I do notice that when the distance is set to like 25 the soundstage opens up tremendously. I mainly use the Krell in pre-amp mode (which is intended for 2-channel). Another crazy thing is when I run the chord dac directly into the power amp - there are no settings - but it sounds amazing! Reason I like to use the pre-amp is because it allows me to change inputs and adjust the volume.

P.S: Bedroom setup is Vantage and Sunfire 300 x 2 - no pre-amp - just run the dac through the computer and control the volume through the computer.

Back