what a difference POWER makes!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, BAT is one of the few that use dual mono power transformers. That's the key. Even their phono preamps do that and it does make a diff.

Dual Power

My Karan KAS270 has a dual power suppy. It's actually 2 mono power amps in a single chasis, but sharing the same power cord. Drives my Summits beautifully.

Last edited:
Congratz! I also own Odyssey amps....have the Mono Extreme SE's and they sound great. Love them. :drool: A different leage from the mid-fi amps I've owned (B&K / Rotel)...but they ought to be given the price differential.

I sent mine in for the SE upgrade. After which I noticed the amps were much faster...tightened things up. Thats the thing I like about Odyssey...the reasonably priced upgrade path. Also the sound quality :rocker: , build quality (20 yr warranty), customer support!

Re the customer support...I bought my amps used, but Klaus didn't hesitate to take them into his shop of a complete overhaul. And I'm told that he does not treat the upgrades, customizations or maintenance like a profit center. I like that :bowdown:

Liked the amps so much I purchased a new Candela Line Stage from Klaus. A great example of how great customer support and outstanding value translates into new sales. :cheers:

Iv'e been thinking about the candella as well. I love tube preamp > SS amp combo's.

I'm currently running a modwright 9.0 w/NOS GE tubes, and it sounds pretty nice.

Haven't heard the Modwright. I suspect that you wouldn't gain much with the Candela over the Modwright...but may be wrong....system synergy and all. If you didn't have the existing Modwright and were in the market for a pre I'd reco you give Klaus a call. The Candela is fantastic for the money ($1200). The big thing it did for me was really open up the soundstage at a lower volume. I use to have to really turn up the volume using my Rotel RSP1066 before it sounded "good".

I do have some minor complaints.....
1. I use my Rotel pre-pro into the HT bypass. I have to keep the Rotel completely off in order to use the other Candela inputs otherwise the signal is cancelled out. Wierd I know. Alex at Odyssey doesn't know why, but this only seems to be an issue with Rotel equipment.
2. The remote is junk, but works just fine.
3. The volume pot is very sensitive. I can only turn from say 7 o-clock to 9 o-clock before it becomes too loud.

BUT, I still love the unit and I suspect I'd have to spend a lot more to beat the sound.

What about SS dual "mono" amps that share the same chassis like the BAT VK-600 and VK600SE? Or better yet, their multi-channel beast, the BAT VK-6200? The VK 600 even has seperate power cords per side! I've been eyeing the VK6200 (since I may do HT in the future) and wonder if the benefits of "mono" amps in seperate chassis are really acheived in units sharing the same chassis.

Thoughts on chassis sharing "mono", especially the BAT VK6200?
Who owns this amp? MiTT out there? Reviews say the VK6200 is a great amp even for 2 channel listening.

Thanks!

JM

Sorry to jump into the thread so late, but, Yes, I do own this amp and I think it is an excellent amplifier in all regards. My ReQuests have now been driven by an old Hafler DH-500 I built from a kit, a McCormack DNA-1 SE, a pair of Roque Audio M-120 magnums and finally the BAT VK-6200. The BAT has every bit of the detail that the Rogues did, but lack a certain amount of mid-range "bloom" that I've only experienced with tubes (I also tried an Air Tight - which I loved, but just didn't have enough "oompfh" for large scale symphonic music). It also just has an incredible grip on the speakers, which translates incredibly well to my REL subwoofer as well. I normally have 4 channels running in a verticl bi-amp configuration, but one of the 4 channels is out right now, so I'm just bi-wired at the moment. The modualrity of the amp works well in this type of situation. Someday I'll likely just run the bass sections of the ReQuests off of it as well as a center channel for HT, and add a pair of VK- 75SE's or 150 SE's for the panels to regain some of that tube magic. Overall though I'd say it's the best amp I've had on the ReQuests.

Attachments

• BAT Power.jpg
    BAT Power.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 425
Sorry to jump into the thread so late, but, Yes, I do own this amp and I think it is an excellent amplifier in all regards. My ReQuests have now been driven by an old Hafler DH-500 I built from a kit, a McCormack DNA-1 SE, a pair of Roque Audio M-120 magnums and finally the BAT VK-6200. The BAT has every bit of the detail that the Rogues did, but lack a certain amount of mid-range "bloom" that I've only experienced with tubes.

Tim,

Thanks for the write up!

I have to say that amp LOOKS great sitting there ready to power your speakers at a moments notice!

So the only "negative" you have is the lack of mid-range bloom?
I have the Vantages and Descent i and am looking at HT down the road. I would still be 95% music and 5% movies, and this amp on paper anyway, seems to have more than enough power and dynamic capabilities to tackle that job. I figured I could get it with 3 channels installed (for Front L and R and Center channel) and use my Hafler DH200 for the rear channels, and maybe get the other two channels down the road, although I don't know if $2,400+ is worth it for surrounds!

So mixing tubes for the front two channels and SS for everything else wouldn't pose any issues with sound/timing?

If I had three channels installed and am only playing 2 channel stereo, is the third channel active, or does it not go/stay on if there is no signal?

Lastly, the ONLY negative I've heard in a review is that the amp is "forward sounding". Your thoughts on that statement? Remember I'm used to a Hafler DH200 (not the DH500).

So many questions . . . .

Thanks again!

JM

love BAT gear...
my buddy ran a VK60 for a while, and we used that as our reference amp for a long time w/all of our various shootouts.

Latest posts

Back