Want to upgrade power cords?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is did they make a sonic diference . There are a few threds going on about PC and upgrades such as cables .

According to some it wont make a difference. ME I'm really interested as I have CLS and would be all over it if its for the better!

Wait. I almost bought these and then I thought of something.

Over the weekend I vacuumed my speakers. I unplugged them, then let them play until the panel was discharged. The thing is, they played with NO ac for about 4 hours.

So, now I'm thinking adding an upgraded power cord wouldn't do much for me, since it is just powering the capacitor and would not have much effect on sound since the capacitor is providing the signal.

Its not the $33 but rather the fact Does it help? Hell they look cool for $33 how can you go wrong :ROFL:

Webinattor:
Your point is exactly true and why ML has said power cords should not make any difference in their
speakers, but now with some that have powered bottoms
I wonder if they have changed their opinion.

Your point is exactly true and why ML has said power cords should not make any difference in their speakers
But there has been many folks who "swear" a PC swap on their speakers "did" make an improvement.

So like all else in this hobby, try for yourself and make your decision, not what others want or think you should do.

Some things to ponder while wondering..."how could it make a difference"??

Maybe it's not the 60hz signal that's being effected by the power cord of a different construction. If what came in on the wire was only pure 60hz then maybe life would be simple. Try listening during the middle of the night with all the other breakers in your house turned off, temporarily, and see how your systems sounds. Would you be surprised if the sonics were a bit different?

Ever read/thought about the fact that the rectifier diodes sharp on and off spikes make a difference? This is why they are addressed in our equipment with soft recovery diodes, right? Problem solved then? Well, what about all the other stuff in your system, not to mention in the house? A few $30 power cords might be a lot cheaper than FRED diodes in everything...though maybe not quite as effective.

Ever looked at how many diodes are in the high voltage strings of the electrostat bias supply? Wonder if this means the B+ supply is pretty high impedance and therefore more susceptible to radiated or received power line noise??

Also....a power supply rectifier stage is followed by a filter stage, right? How good is your filter? How good are those filter caps at a mhz or two??

OldMonolith

Latest posts

Back